Saving a thread after editing opens "Create a new thread"

Started by elysion, August 27, 2013, 10:51:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elysion

After moving a forum from the old server to the new one, I noticed it's not possible to edit some old threads anymore because after saving an edited thread opens "Create a new thread" page with empty fields. It seems this problem occurs in random threads because it's possible to save some other threads after editing them.

Error log says nothing about this and I tried to upgrade to 2.0.5 version to see if the problem goes away but it didn't.

Link to the forum: hxxp:hamsteriyhdistys.fi/foorumi/ [nonactive]

Any ideas what's going on?

Edit: Also creating a new thread with the same content as in an existing thread results the same problem.

Kindred

welcome to SMF....

What was the collation of the OLD database?  utf-8 or latin?
What is the collation of the NEW database?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Storman™

Think Kindred is on the right track, this really does sound like a mismatch between the collation of each database.

I take it the old hosting has now been discontinued ?

Out of interest have you moved the site before in the past, or made other database changes in the past ?

Unless you have the original db I'm not sure this is going to be recoverable. (Hopefully someone else may have some ideas).

elysion

I converted the forum from phpbb3 to SMF about a year ago but these problems showed up after changing the host.

Zest

When you converted the phpbb forum to smf, do you convert it to version 1.X.X or 2.0.X?
Before you tried to update which lead to the error, what version where you using.

It looks like you did not download the Large  Upgrade file.

Storman™

QuoteIt looks like you did not download the Large  Upgrade file.

Huh...  :P

elysion

Quote from: Kindred on August 27, 2013, 11:46:28 PM
welcome to SMF....

What was the collation of the OLD database?  utf-8 or latin?
What is the collation of the NEW database?

I misunderstood this question before but I changed the collation for the new database now, it was utf8_general_ci in the old host and it was changed to latin1_swedish_ci in the new host. I changed the collation back to utf8_general_ci in the new host but the problem is still there.

Quote from: Zest on August 28, 2013, 08:04:42 AM
When you converted the phpbb forum to smf, do you convert it to version 1.X.X or 2.0.X?
Before you tried to update which lead to the error, what version where you using.

It looks like you did not download the Large  Upgrade file.
I converted phpbb3 to SMF version 2.0.4, yesterday I used the Large Upgrade to update to version 2.0.5

Kindred

right....     as I suspected, the collation was the issue.....  and just changing the collation will **NOT** fix the problem. It will actually probably make it worse.

The only thing to do is to REIMPORT to backup database with the correct collation this time....
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

elysion

Quote from: Kindred on August 28, 2013, 11:36:13 PM
The only thing to do is to REIMPORT to backup database with the correct collation this time....
I did this but nothing happened.

elysion

Kindred

Your problem is almost definitely due to the database formats being mixed up....   if a reimport with the correct collation for both the database and the tables did not fix the problem, I have no idea...
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: