News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Instant change avatar or signature buttons on profiles and mini profiles.

Started by wynnyelle, September 03, 2013, 06:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wynnyelle

How would I add these through the code?

Nobody can find anything in our menus especially our profile menus. A button where you click it to change your avatar and the window where you pick a new avatar just pops up, would be so nice.

For signatures, it could just turn the existing signature you have to code and then you edit it live right there where it's displaying. Just like the quick edit on posts!

Burke ♞ Knight

I like these ideas.
A lot of places have it as a menu when click the avatar in posts.
View profile
Edit Avatar
Edit Signature

Etc. That would be nice to see in SMF. :)

Arantor

While I can get behind changing avatar like that, changing signature there would be a mess from a usability point of view.

The whole process for both would be problematic to implement in thread display because both would require custom handlers to be set up to do the work (the profile area is not designed to edit just one thing), so you would essentially need to duplicate or rework a decent amount of the profile area :(

Burke ♞ Knight

How about my idea, but change it so the links just point to the current forum profile, since the issue is not the page, but finding the page in the menus.

Arantor

Eh, I've long thought the problem is the fact it's in the menu at all. Personally I'd rather see the profile menu gone from the main menu and extracted to somewhere else on the page, like it is on plenty of other systems - and you could just put a nice shiny avatar item in there.

wynnyelle

Quote from: Arantor on September 03, 2013, 06:52:12 PM
Eh, I've long thought the problem is the fact it's in the menu at all. Personally I'd rather see the profile menu gone from the main menu and extracted to somewhere else on the page, like it is on plenty of other systems - and you could just put a nice shiny avatar item in there.

I'm starting to feel like someone really gets what I'm going for. Thank you, Arantor! And Burke. :)

I've hated that menu for a LONG time and wanted to consolidate it with the main menu. Plus there are a lot of menu entries that can be consolidated in themselves. the entire thing is a labyrinth that is increasingly outdated.

About the avatar-changer, I'd be fine with just adding an avatar-instant-changer button in and foregoing the sig-button for now.

Burke ♞ Knight

I've long thought that an instant avy changer would keep people happy, since they could change their avatar on the fly.

However, would have to decide if it is just for one type, or could change to any type.

Link to avatar
Upload avatar

If could, would like to see them all. That would more than likely call for new page, just for the avatar selection, which the link would go to.

In theory, couldn't the same be done for the signature, if go the new page?

wynnyelle

I'm intending to make it for all three. The window that popped up could easily accommodate that as long as it's large enough, and all it has to do is basically display that section of the "forum profile" thing.

Burke ♞ Knight

wynnyelle

How do I do this, though? I'm stuck. I don't know how to code this; that's why I posted on this board. :)

Arantor

wynnyelle

Okay, so where do I start? What file...what sort of code?

All it has to do is lead them directly to the page where they can adjust their avatar. We can skip it being a pop up window for now as long as it does that, it'd be a big improvement even that way.

Arantor

Leading them to the page is a simple link, *anything* else starts to have to unravel the complex and arcane mess that is the profile area's PHP code as well as AJAX to handle a popup.

wynnyelle

This link:

http://dev.warriorcatsrpg.com/index.php?action=profile;area=forumprofile

would be the one to use then. It's a rather quick and dirty way to do it compared to my plan, but it would still be an improvement, I think...what do you guys think though?

...while I'm at it, I'm going to change the text "personalised image" to "avatar." better consistency :)

Arantor

Yup, that's the link to use. Well, technically, you should output it as $scripturl . '?action=profile;area=forumprofile' from PHP rather than the bare link (so it works seamlessly between live and dev sites) but that's a formality rather than a condition.

Sure it's an improvement. Going the whole hog is a much bigger job and one I sort of had planned at one point, but I sort of had other plans anyway where that stuff was concerned.

wynnyelle

The whole hog is definitely beyond my abilities. hell...adding the link alone pretty much is. I don't know how to do that.

If I add the link and connect it to a button icon and that icon mouses over to say "Change Avatar" it'd at least cut down on confusion. That's typically one of the first things a member wants to do after they join.

wynnyelle

What would that do? Would it add the icon on the mini profile and/or full profile? I'm aiming to add it to both, though tackling this one at a time is fine too :)

I can provide a mockup of where I would want the buttons to go, if it would help you guys visualise it.

Burke ♞ Knight

I'm working on something now that may work...

Stand by....

* BurkeKnight gets worried when he says that line....

Burke ♞ Knight

Display.template.php

Code (Find) Select
// Show avatars, images, etc.?
if (!empty($settings['show_user_images']) && empty($options['show_no_avatars']) && !empty($message['member']['avatar']['image']))
echo '
<li class="avatar">
<a href="', $scripturl, '?action=profile;u=', $message['member']['id'], '">
', $message['member']['avatar']['image'], '
</a>
</li>';

// Show how many posts they have made.

Code (Replace With) Select
// Show avatars, images, etc.?
if (!empty($settings['show_user_images']) && empty($options['show_no_avatars']) && !empty($message['member']['avatar']['image']))
echo '
<li class="avatar">
<a href="', $scripturl, '?action=profile;u=', $message['member']['id'], '">
', $message['member']['avatar']['image'], '
</a>
</li>';

if ($message['member']['id'] == $context['user']['id'])
echo '
<li>
<a href="', $scripturl, '?action=profile;area=forumprofile">
Click Here to Change Avatar
</a>
</li>';

// Show how many posts they have made.

This only seems to work if they already have an avatar. ;)

Advertisement: