News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

[TIP/TRICK] Auto [iurl] For Internal Links And "nofollow" For External Links

Started by Neo_TE, September 06, 2013, 02:11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neo_TE

This mod is now approved & is available in the mod site for download in this link, http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3767.

Please use this theme's support thread for further discussions, http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=519432.0.

If you are using this tip/trick then please use the mod from the mod site. Thanks.

Auto [iurl] For Internal Links And "nofollow" For External Links

Features
This mod differentiates the internal links from external links and

• automatically adds "iurl" tag for internal links, so that internal links are opened in the same window
  • automatically adds "nofollow" only for external links

How-To-Check if this Mod Actually Works in your Forum
Go to a thread that has both internal & external links. Right click -> view page source and then search for the internal & external links.

Before installing this mod, the links will appear like

<a href="INTERNAL_LINK" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">INTERNAL LINK</a>
<a href="EXTERNAL_LINK" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">EXTERNAL LINK</a>

After installing the mod, the links will appear like

<a href="INTERNAL_LINK" class="bbc_link">INTERNAL LINK</a>
<a href="EXTERNAL_LINK" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">EXTERNAL LINK</a>

Supported Themes
Works on all the themes without any custom edits!

Supported SMF Versions
Tested on fresh installation of 2.0.x.

License

This is free and unencumbered tip/trick released into the public domain. For more information, see http://unlicense.org/.

Arantor

When did 'size of mod' become a criteria? Hell, one time I submitted a mod that was one line long but because it was packaged it was easier for people to use.

Neo_TE

This is what I received in the PM.

QuoteWe're sorry, but we have to reject your modification because it is too small for the mod site. Please post your package in Coding discussion so we can move it to the tips and tricks board.

Arantor

Neo_TE

The time it took for me to figure out the regex for this mod was damn too high and now its being rejected as a mod.

Its about time for me to stop making mods for SMF. :-X

Shambles

Too small for a mod  :o

I was looking at Edit and Align Categories earlier today, thinking how small that was, but that's been accepted and registered as a mod.

A strange decision.

You keep working on stuff, xPandax, I'll support you.

Shambles

So we need a definition of "small", perhaps for discussion in another thread.

Arantor

And size is subjective too. What some would call small, others would call medium. The only thing that can generally be agreed upon is what constitutes a large mod... and that's anything over a medium size :P

Neo_TE

Quote from: Shambles on September 06, 2013, 03:01:47 PM
You keep working on stuff, xPandax, I'll support you.

Thank you very much.

But there is actually no use in making new mods when its not accepted as a mod because the majority of users just search for mods in the mod site and the same majority of people don't even know that such a tip/trick board exists.

Ill stop making any more new mods & just provide support for my current mods.

@Arantor & emanuele - Thanks you very much for the support.

kat

It does seem a little odd.

If a member wants a feature, they're likely to look at the mods. They're somewhat less likely, I'd submit, to look at the Tips'n'tricks board.

One for discussion with the customisation team, methinks.

kat

I've started a discussion topic, for the customisation team to discuss this. :)

French

kat

That's already been mentioned. The discussion's running, as I type (We're quick, if nothing else) ;)

We'll try and work something out.

We DO listen. We don't always act, of course, for various reasons. But, we sure do listen. :)

Shambles

Quote from: K@
We'll try and work something out.
Mod authors just need to know the criteria by which mods are 'graded' - lines of source, number of files edited, number of DB queries required etc.

We now know that mods of this (OP's) size are deemed too small, so there's a benchmark.

Arantor

Shambles

There must be, if we've already see a rejection by dint of 'too small'.

Neo_TE

Whoa, I don't think the mod listed in this thread is neither smaller nor simpler than this mod which is available in the mod site.

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3710

kat

Yeah, there're a few that seem to scream "Inconsistency!"!, If you look around. There might be reasons, though. Old mod that was updated, when a different policy was in force, that kinda thing.

As I said, it IS being discussed.

So, with the way the SMF wheels are, usually, greased, we may get some kind of decision within the next... hmm.. decade, or so? ;)

Neo_TE

Quote from: K@ on September 07, 2013, 06:03:31 AM
It does seem a little odd.

If a member wants a feature, they're likely to look at the mods. They're somewhat less likely, I'd submit, to look at the Tips'n'tricks board.

One for discussion with the customisation team, methinks.

Quote from: K@ on September 08, 2013, 05:31:50 AM
Yeah, there're a few that seem to scream "Inconsistency!"!, If you look around. There might be reasons, though. Old mod that was updated, when a different policy was in force, that kinda thing.

As I said, it IS being discussed.

So, with the way the SMF wheels are, usually, greased, we may get some kind of decision within the next... hmm.. decade, or so? ;)

Thank you very much. :)

Advertisement: