News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

How To Add Required Fields to Create New Topic Template?

Started by PierreP_whited00r_com, September 07, 2013, 12:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PierreP_whited00r_com

We have several boards where the users can create New Topics with the content they wish but we also have a Troubleshooting board where essential info about their devices & computer are necessary so they can be helped properly.

So is it possible to create a start New Topic posting template with required fields but only for that Troubleshooting board like this for example:

QuotePlease include the following essential info to help us help you: (ideally that line would not be included in the new topic once posted)

Device model:
iOS version installed currently on your device or is it Whited00r:
Is your device Factory Unlocked:
Your computer's OS:

Device model & computer OS are already required fields when registering and are shown under the avatar but some users have multiple devices, upgraded them w/o editing their forum profile or changed the iOS so we need to know the current info when they ask troubleshooting question.

Additional challenge: we do not want to require those fields for all users every time they reply to a new topic but only for the OP starting a new topic in that board.

I searched the SMF Mod Site section to no avail. Any pointers would be appreciated. ;)

The closest Mod I found was: Custom Field On posting but answers to the questions would not be required and how to apply it to only a specific board? The creator is AWOL in his SUPPORT AND COMMENTS FOR THIS MOD thread. :'(

There is also this one but it is outdated and no screen captures: Post Template Mod

Arantor

There isn't really a good way to do it in the forum itself. It's not designed for it.

The nearest that you can really get to is probably SimpleDesk, which allows for creating helpdesk departments (which can appear on the board index for most themes without any real effort) which you can define custom fields for without any problems at all which are per topic, or per message, whichever you'd want.

Illori

Arantor

It might work but I get the impression it's not really what's wanted here.

PierreP_whited00r_com

I updated post #1 with this: There is also this one but it is outdated and no screen captures: Post Template Mod

QuoteThis mod will enable you to set a default text for new topics in a board. This can come in very handy if you have specific rules about how to post in certain boards, for example when you have a download board or a board in which you can buy or sell items.

The mod will only change the post template of a board for which you set such a template and can be changed in the Manage Board screen.

It is not compatible with SMF 2.04 or 2.05 I guess & it's too bad that the updated package for 2.0.3 attachment posted here was deleted because of the SMF rules as the original Mod creator did not update his mod since October 04, 2009. :'(

BTW the SMF thread read count seems haywire as I created this thread 30 minutes ago & is shows currently: "Read 1170 times"! :o

Arantor

PierreP_whited00r_com

Arantor

We suggested two other things that aren't exactly what you asked for but may even work better than what you asked for and we were ignored.

PierreP_whited00r_com

Quote from: Arantor on September 07, 2013, 01:22:52 PM
We suggested two other things that aren't exactly what you asked for but may even work better than what you asked for and we were ignored.

"...and we were ignored" - No you were not but I would prefer a solution that would work in the forum itself instead of adding a Help Desk (SimpleDesk ?) & I will take a look at the Custom Form Mod.

So thanks for the suggestions. ;)

Arantor

The helpdesk is 1) an SMF mod, 2) integrates directly into the board index as if it were a board in the first place and 3) directly supports the structure you want. And let me guess, you already added a topic solved type mod too?

But it's nice to know that the months I spent making it weren't totally wasted after all.

PierreP_whited00r_com

Quote from: Arantor on September 07, 2013, 01:30:08 PM
The helpdesk is...

Are you talking about SimpleDesk because that is what a search Mod returns with "help desk" or "helpdesk"

Arantor

It's like you actually read my post where I specifically named SimpleDesk...

PierreP_whited00r_com

Quote from: Arantor on September 07, 2013, 01:33:40 PM
It's like you actually read my post where I specifically named SimpleDesk...

Ooops, I missed that. :-[

Thanks but do not want a ticket system as other users contribute to troubleshooting suggestions and often reply before we do.

Arantor

I'm trying to be nice here, but it's hard when you're insulting my work by not taking the time to actually look at it. SimpleDesk is MORE than capable of being configured to work the way you suggest, where any users would be able to reply, but you never bothered to find out if it could or not, you just assumed it couldn't.

As I said, it would be able to do everything you wanted. Speaking as the guy that put six months full time development into it, I made SURE it would be able to be used for a situation like yours.

Don't worry, I won't bother you again with my suggestions.

PierreP_whited00r_com

Mother bear defending her cub. ;)

Slow down, I'm a newbie when it comes to mods so I need time to read that stuff & trying to understand what it does.

ziycon

Advertisement: