News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

How to locate avatar folder and change its CHMOD permissions?

Started by wynnyelle, September 08, 2013, 10:49:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wynnyelle

Hi, I apologise if this isn't the right place to put this, but how would I locate this folder and change its CHMOD permissions?

I'm in cpanel right now trying to find it, but it doesn't appear to be anywhere.

Burke ♞ Knight

Avatar folder is in the root of your forum.

your-forum/avatars

wynnyelle

Thank you. But I am in there right now, and there is no avatars folder.

I am having an error that says settings.php is read only. Its CHMOD is set to 644. Would this need to be changed to 755? Woukd that be safe to do?

Illori

what exactly are you trying to do? without some details there is very little we can do to help you.

wynnyelle

The avatars aren't working on the site. I was told it is a permissions problem.

Settings.php is also telling me that it is readable only.

Illori

who told you it was a permission problem?

also your settings.php file should be read-only for security what do you want to change about it?

wynnyelle

It won't let me change the site's name, or put it into maintenance mode.

all I see on this page to solve this is this:

"These settings cannot be changed because Settings.php is read only."

So I figured that something is wrong with my settings.php settings, because I have never had this on my main site.

Illori

to change those yes settings.php needs to writable but you need to change the permissions back so it is not writable once you have changed it.

have you ever used chmod before? if not i would urge you to contact your developer and see if he will help you.

but that has nothing to do with your avatar problem.

wynnyelle

No, I have not done it myself, ever {CHMOD} my host said it is beyond the help that he provides.

My developer is upset with me because I had some beta testers help me find glitches last night and I think he walked out on me now.

I'm trying to work through tears this morning, and it's hard to think. But my host told me to learn and do it myself so this is the place I have come to to do that, step by step. I am trying to convince myself right now not to give up on everything.

What is the first thing I need to do? A whole bunch of things aren't working on the new site and they may be from permissions. I don't know for sure.

Edit: I should add that I do have Filezilla for an FTP client. I don't really know how to use it other than downloading things and uploading things, but it's there if I need it for this.

Agreement.txt is not writable either, it is saying.

Kindred

It certainly seems that your permissions are all messed up after your server switch.

Yu will have to run a recursive chmod either from command line or from the file manager in order to set ALL of your files and directories correctly.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

FZ should show directory permissions as 755, files 644.

I'm seeing avatars on your site.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

wynnyelle

I was able to get the avatars working by recreating the entire directory and uploading them all, yes.

I don't see any permissions on FZ but I see them on Cpanel.

Sir Osis of Liver

Permissions is the fifth column right panel in FZ.

Are you running on a windows server?

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: