News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Forum laggy and cant find profile's report.

Started by eric1234, September 11, 2013, 11:36:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eric1234

First, I cant seem to find the report when i report a person's profile in his profile itself.

2ndly, my forum kinda laggy and bulky and i have read through the 24things stuff. Is that any thing else i can improve? Could this be theme issue?

Dav999

Hello,

Can you give some more information? What version of SMF are you running? What mods did you install? What do you mean by "reporting a person's profile"?

margarett

AFAIK, there is no option to report a profile in a core SMF installation. If you've seen that somewhere, it's got to be a MOD...

As for the lag, it can be caused by a number of things. Can you detail better what's "lag"?
Pages take too much time to open?
Your browser is unresponsive?
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

eric1234

I am using SMF 2.0.5 :)
My mods.

Regarding to the latter question. I mean that, members able to report a specific member's profile by going into his profile and click report this profile. I cant find such report in my moderation center when i use my admin acc to randomly report a person's profile.

Both of them. The Forum feel laggy, then sometime pages take too much time to open. Even Browser become unresponsive also got. To be more precise is the tab become unresponsive. I suspect is the recently installed Favicon PM mod, therefore, i uninstall edi.

margarett

Holy ....... That's a LOT of MODs :P

I don't know, it can be any of these or maybe all. You can activate the option to show the page loading time to give you an idea of how the software is performing.
Nevertheless, you should try with another computer and another browser. The page takes some time to load is one thing, the browser becomes unresponsive is another totally different thing. I still use IE8 for specific reasons (as a secondary browser) and it usually becomes laggy when jQuery comes in the way. This is only an example, but you should try

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

eric1234

Quote from: margarett on September 11, 2013, 01:50:02 PM
Holy ....... That's a LOT of MODs :P

I don't know, it can be any of these or maybe all. You can activate the option to show the page loading time to give you an idea of how the software is performing.
Nevertheless, you should try with another computer and another browser. The page takes some time to load is one thing, the browser becomes unresponsive is another totally different thing. I still use IE8 for specific reasons (as a secondary browser) and it usually becomes laggy when jQuery comes in the way. This is only an example, but you should try
Yeah, i know right. Members have been complaining about the forum seem to be laggy lately . Therefore, i googled and found the 24 things. I had done some of the alter based on the 24 stuffs. haha.. but i am still looking on any possibility to further enhance :)

margarett

Kindred

and do note---   any mod that pulls data for a page is going to slow down your system.

with one or two, it isn't noticable...   if you add 30 more queries per page though... or more - it will become noticable.
Adding javascript crap to be preloaded also causes lag
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Dav999

Try uninstalling some mods you don't need; I don't think you use all of them every day? :-\

eric1234

In a random topic.

Page created in 5.826 seconds with 24 queries.

In Home of the Forum

Page created in 41.548 seconds with 13 queries.

In one of the most active board

Page created in 58.541 seconds with 19 queries.

The queries numbers for me is kinda fine. What you guys think?

eric1234

I think tomorrow when i back from classes, gonna clean up a bit.

margarett

That's really too much. The number of queries is fine but the rest is really too much.

I can only think of your MySQL is dying. Other than that, just a strange loop in the code...

eric1234

Quote from: margarett on September 11, 2013, 04:08:57 PM
That's really too much. The number of queries is fine but the rest is really too much.

I can only think of your MySQL is dying. Other than that, just a strange loop in the code...
Don't get the latter sentences. Mind to explain again on the 'I can only think of your MySQL is dying. Other than that, just a strange loop in the code...'   :-\ Sorry and thank you

Kindred

there is something really strange going on with your site because page load times should be under a second....

the exceptions to that are
1- you have a major issue with your server itself.
2- you have so much extraneous code that, despite the low number of actual queries, the page is looping and taking multiple seconds to load.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

eric1234

Quote from: Kindred on September 11, 2013, 04:21:34 PM
there is something really strange going on with your site because page load times should be under a second....

the exceptions to that are
1- you have a major issue with your server itself.
2- you have so much extraneous code that, despite the low number of actual queries, the page is looping and taking multiple seconds to load.
so how to solve the latter 1?

Surprisingly sometime the site load fast. Like now i log into my forum home

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 16 queries.

Load into a board

Page created in 0.439 seconds with 18 queries.

Load into a random topic

Page created in 0.654 seconds with 24 queries.

margarett

Who is your host? I would say that, in rush hours, mysql gets "overbooked"...
Bottom line is: you can't solve 1) it has to be your host. Your only change is... to change host :P

eric1234

Quote from: margarett on September 11, 2013, 10:40:51 PM
Who is your host? I would say that, in rush hours, mysql gets "overbooked"...
Bottom line is: you can't solve 1) it has to be your host. Your only change is... to change host :P
Thanks god that it is not my forum problem.

Can you tell me what you mean by MySQL get overbook?

I am using a local host

margarett

I mean that maybe that server is handling more than he can... You know, like an airplane when the company sells more tickets than seats available.

eric1234

Quote from: margarett on September 12, 2013, 03:43:19 AM
I mean that maybe that server is handling more than he can... You know, like an airplane when the company sells more tickets than seats available.

I see. 1 more thing i am curious to know, will the theme itself causes the forum to be laggy?

Kindred

depends on what is included in the theme...

if the theme includes large graphics files and/or lots of javascript (like ajax displays or chatboxes) then there is a good chance that it could...   

if it's just a standard theme, then probably not
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: