News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

How to add more smileys to current ones?

Started by joeyrss, September 19, 2013, 07:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeyrss

I added a new smiley mod package a few months ago when my forum was not live yet and it turned out to be disaster cause I was new at this whole gig and didn't know what I was doing.

I'm not that tech savy still but would like to add more variety to the ones already there. I've been reading through here and the wiki and need clarification if I attempt this again.

QuoteThe other way, is for you to create a directory, inside your forum's "Smileys" directory, giving it the name that you want.
Then, upload all the actual graphic files, for your smileys, into that directory.

Where and how do I create a directory? Since one of you mods offer these cool ones, do I just pick whatever I like and save to my new directory? Sorry if I sound like a noob but it is what it is and I don't want to disable the ones there now.  ::)

http://www.katzy.dsl.pipex.com/Numbered.htm

Chalky

Have fun going through K@'s site and save all the smileys you want to your computer - I spent hours doing that  :P

If you don't want to lose the smileys you have, the easiest would be to use FTP, navigate to your current smileys folder (probably has the same name as the smiley set you're using) inside the folder "Smileys".  Transfer the smileys you want to add into that same directory alongside the smileys that are already there.

When you've transferred a batch of smileys over, go to your admin panel > smileys and message icons, and click "modify" next to your current smiley set.  You should now see a message saying you have x number of files that have not been imported and do you want to import them now.  Confirm and your new smileys should have now been added  ;)  From there you can place them where you want them in "set smiley order" and edit their code in "edit smileys".

One thing to watch out for, make sure you don't have two smileys with the same name or the same code, as that's easily done when you start merging smiley sets but can result in smileys being lost or just SMF not knowing which one to use.

I keep doing this and have now accumulated nearly 700 smileys on my forum  O:)  ;D

joeyrss

CK to my rescue!  :D I kind of figured it was something like this after watching a You Tube tutorial on it. I was afraid to mess it all up again.

QuoteFrom there you can place them where you want them in "set smiley order" and edit their code in "edit smileys".

These options only show up if I check "Enable customized smileys" which I disabled after my smiley crash a while back. Empty smiley boxes show up if I click it now since adding a mod package and deleting it back then. Do I need to enable it after adding new ones?

joeyrss

I've loaded some through ftp but when I click on modify, there is no message to import them. If I enable custom smileys, it says there are none there.

br360

Another way you can add smileys without using ftp is to:

find a smiley image(s) on the internet, and download them to your computer

Go to admin>>forum>>smileys and message icons>> settings

From there, make sure you enable smileys,  then go to add smileys. Where you see image source, click to upload new smiley, and then upload the smiley you downloaded to your computer.

Just below that where you see "add new smiley", give it a code name (what gets typed into the reply box to make the smiley appear-  ";-)" etc...)
Tooltip or description name- what you want the name of the smiley to be, and the location (post form will be the one shown along side the other row of smileys when someone is replying to a post)

I'm sure adding an entire set is a lot easier, but if you are looking to add specific smileys, that way should work fine if you are ok with adding them one at a time.

Oh and doing it this way adds the smiley to the set you have chosen to be your default (aliennine, aaron, akyhne) so make sure you pick one of those as your smiley set, and then you can just add as many smileys as you want to it.

Chalky

The problem appears to be that in that pic, there is no configuration stuff showing  :-\

What else did you do other than disable custom smileys?  What was the "smiley crash" you had?

Attached pic shows what I have, I don't even use the Alienine set...

Edit: what br360 said should work too of course, but if you have a lot it's very tedious to add them one by one.  Might be worth seeing if your set-up lets you do it.

joeyrss

I was trying that but still no image shows up no matter what I try. Back when I uploaded the mod package "fantastic smileys" I could not get them to show up so I tried uninstalling and they still showed as empty boxes in reply and in the files so I deleted all smileys and I think somehow I deleted the default ones as well? They still show up if I don't click "enable custom smileys" but this is what shows after adding one like you said.  I did something where they are not being read but they are in my ftp plus the new ones I added to the default file there.

Chalky

Ok that looks like the paths might be screwed up somehow.  In the settings tab for smileys, check what you have in Base URL and Absolute Path - make sure those are correct.

joeyrss

CK, this is what the base path is and here is a screen shot of it as well: "/home/content/15/11432415/html/smileys"

Cyberhost

Quote from: joeyrss on September 20, 2013, 02:43:58 AM
I was trying that but still no image shows up no matter what I try. Back when I uploaded the mod package "fantastic smileys" I could not get them to show up so I tried uninstalling and they still showed as empty boxes in reply and in the files so I deleted all smileys and I think somehow I deleted the default ones as well? They still show up if I don't click "enable custom smileys" but this is what shows after adding one like you said.  I did something where they are not being read but they are in my ftp plus the new ones I added to the default file there.

For me the solution was to wait some time, could go up to (5hours) then the images worked.

joeyrss

The problem is that even my default ones that were there are not showing up when I click "enable custom smileys" and I did not have the option that shows in ChalkCat's screen shot to import any? I don't know what my base path is supposed to be..

kat

Your base path will be your normal forum URL, with the Smileys directory.

http://forum.itsan.org/Smileys perhaps?

The "Absolute path to all smiley sets" is not so obvious, unfortunately. It's usually something like:

/home/itsan/public_html/Smileys

A word of warning, if I may be so bold...

On this page http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Add_a_smiley_set I put a note.

QuoteIf you have more than one smiley set, it's advisable to make sure that all sets contain graphics files with exactly the same names in all sets.

The reason for this, is obvious, when you think about it.

If two of your members are using two different sets of smileys, they won't see each-others, if the files do not have the same names! Or, if one image appears in one set, but not the other, they'll just see weirdness.

joeyrss

Thanks K, I did read all of that in wiki but I only have the default smiley set after deleting the fantastic smileys a while back when they would not show up and as long as I don't enable custom smileys, the default ones  show up in reply but not in configuration. The problem is that I added some of yours to my default set in ftp and they show in my ftp files but there is no option given for me to import them into the forum after clicking modify like CK showed on her screen shot.

My screen shot above shows the base url and base path for the smileys and I assume it is right as I never messed with it at all? I have no idea what it is supposed to be otherwise.
Quote"/home/content/15/11432415/html/smileys"

Even when I enable custom smileys and want to edit smileys or set smiley order, nothing, not even the default ones show up and it says there are no smileys configured so they are not being read or something?  The new one I added by code is showing as the only one in customized and it is an empty box as well as you can see from the screen shot below.

If you want to log-in and look, that is okay with me... ???

Chalky

See how the text "Absolute path" on your screenshot is red?  I think that means it's wrong  ;)

Try this.  In admin panel, go to Forum > Attachments and Avatars.  Click on Attachment Settings and look for the setting "Attachments directory".  Copy everything in that box then go back to your smiley settings and in the Absolute path box, delete what's there and paste what you have just copied from the attachments directory.  Now, right at the end of the string you have just pasted, remove the /attachments and replace with /Smileys.  The capitalization is important.  Click save and report back  :)

Edit:  Actually, first just try changing the path you have there from /smileys to /Smileys - that needs to be a capital letter!

joeyrss

CK, That was it, the s was not capitalized! hugs to you!  :D

But, now there is another problem, sorry...they are not showing up, just empty boxes along with the default ones that are showing up? See screen shot:

Chalky

Yay!  :D

The screenshot just says that you have those smileys in the Alienine set but not in the others.  As long as you have the Alienine set selected as your default set and uncheck the setting "Enable smiley set selection by members" so that your members can't choose to use any other set, that doesn't matter.

joeyrss

I do have it checked as default but they still do not show up?

Chalky

Make sure the alienine set (that is where you put them, yes?) is your default.  In smiley sets, is that the smiley set that has the * next to it?  If not, click modify next to it and make it the default.

kat

Just to rudely interrupt...

To save a bit of space on the ol' server, you can blatt the ones you don't use.

But, thinking about future SMF updates, it might be best to move everything into the "default" smiley directory, use the default set as the... er... default smiley set and zap the rest.

A warning, though. When SMF updates, it always overwrites the damned smilies (Gawd knows why they always do that). So, if you ever have to upload files, for that, don't forget to NOT include the smilies directory.

joeyrss

Quote from: ChalkCat on September 20, 2013, 02:07:53 PM
Make sure the alienine set (that is where you put them, yes?) is your default.  In smiley sets, is that the smiley set that has the * next to it?  If not, click modify next to it and make it the default.

Yes, I uploaded to alienine or default in ftp, now imported them to alienine set and they all showed up, then made that set default in both settings but still get this on reply.  :-\ Sorry, something is still amiss here...

Advertisement: