Connection Problems Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database.

Started by ivica5656, September 21, 2013, 10:27:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ivica5656

When i tried create new board i got white page with this error:

Connection Problems Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Am on Hostgator so i contacted support, they tried to replicate error but they couldnt, i tried also but i couldnt, after that they checked the database connection and ran a repair as well and its all correct in regards to connectivity. They suggested me to contact smf so here i am.

Can someone help me?

Cyberhost

Quote from: ivica5656 on September 21, 2013, 10:51:17 AM
In cpanel-> Program version i got this:

MySQL

Ask in the support that can they change the MySQL to 4.1.0 ( or a little bit higher ) but before they do change please take a backup of your database.

ivica5656

Cyberhost

Cyberhost

Quote from: ivica5656 on September 21, 2013, 11:13:02 AM
How i do that?

If you can access the admin from the site you can check it at: Configuration -> Server settings -> Database and Paths

or..

you go at your cpanel file manager and open settings.php file

Cyberhost

- Contact your host and ask them, "Is your MySQL server working well? I am having issues with one of my website based on SMF and it is not getting connected to your MySQL Server".
- Alongside this, open Settings.php in your SMF forum "root" directory which will be either in public_html or httpdocs.
- Check whether all the details about "Database name, host, user and password" are right.
- If not then fix it, if yes then the hosting company is best to be contacted.
-You could try repair settings

ivica5656

My forum doesnt have that error whole time. It happend to me twice today an i can reproduce error. If i got error again i will contact my host again.

Kindred

First - SMF works perfectly well with MySQL 5.  Actually it is recommended.

Second - the message indicates a problem connecting to the database (as you have no doubt figured out) - If your connection details are correct (and the fact that the error is intermittent suggests that they are) then the problem would likely be with the connections that your host allows. It would seem that your host is shutting down your database when too many connections have been made....   and their definition of "too many" would seem to be unreasonable.

(this assumes that SMF is the only script running and that you don't have any major query-heavy mods running)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

ivica5656

It happend again. I contact them and they said server is fine. I asked again to check problems with mysql and smf forum and again they said everything is fine.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Colin

Hostgator is a known overseller and these symptoms are common for these types of hosts. Unfortunately it is at the server level so it isn't a configuration change that you can make.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Advertisement: