News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

SMF 2 upload large video files and play them in post

Started by dadaas, September 25, 2013, 09:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoLoGHoST

Using bitsontherun.com and you do not need to serve them at all.  bitsontherun.com or vimeo, or youtube will serve them and provides security as well.  Atleast for vimeo and bitsontherun, not sure about youtube.  You can signup for a FREE account bro.  Upload your videos to it and than you will get an embed code.  Put that on your site and bam, your videos are not being served from your server, they are coming from the other servers.

Arantor

Fairly sure that's not what the OP wanted in the first place - because if they did, they would have done so already... but note that files stored on third party servers cannot be adequately protected via the same mechanisms they could under the forum...

SoLoGHoST

Well, this is an alternative since everyone here is providing alternatives to what the OP wanted from the start anyways.

SoLoGHoST

Quote from: dadaas on September 25, 2013, 09:37:21 AM
Hi, i m not sure if there is mod for this. If it is then please direct me. I did a search and all i can find is video embed mods.

So i need to upload vide files (like 100mb large) trough attachments or some other way and then play them inside the post. Members who are granted to see this videos must not be able to download the file. As well direct accessing the video files need to be banned.

Any ideas or tips where should i start?

Easiest way to do this as I've said already.  Get a bitsontherun account, or vimeo, and than you can use the HTML BBC Tag to use an iframe and insert the PHP page (vimeo and bitsontherun gives you a full example php code, with several php pages, but you use the default php from the root within the iframe src attribute.  Note, you may need to tweak the php files for your situation and you will definitely need to add in the Special KEY into 1 of the PHP files so that it knows where to upload to) via an iframe within a board that has permissions for specific membergroups that you allow.  This will place the php upload feature within an iframe in an actual topic/post that you choose.

Now, with the bitsontherun and/or vimeo account, you can setup a playlist that will play from specific areas.  In another board, you can than use the HTML Tag again to input embed code that plays videos in that playlist into any of the posts/topics within that board, and users will be able to see uploaded videos automatically as they get uploaded.

Alternatively, you can not allow them to be viewed automatically, and make it so that you have to approve it first.  There are tons of things you can do, like even generate a topic automatically in SMF in any board with that embed code in there (Approved or Unapproved).  This could be a part of the successful completion function of the PHP code that vimeo and/or bitsontherun offers for when the video is succesfully uploaded.

Both vimeo and bitsontherun provide security to make the video unable to be downloaded.  Also, there is added security to make it so that it is only allowed to stream from specific sites that you choose.

Advertisement: