News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

maximum files per folder etc

Started by Moerpot, September 26, 2013, 09:44:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moerpot

...and that is where my 1st question came from.... too many files in one folder

LiroyvH

Quote from: Moerpot on September 26, 2013, 11:13:06 AM
...and that is where my 1st question came from.... too many files in one folder

That is because of the httrack tool that you're using that follows all links and stores them as files... It has nothing to do with SMF at all.
If you want to learn how to limit files in your directories, see the relevant documentation of your operating system.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Arantor

QuoteI want you to ask around and do some homework (even if it's only for me). If what I asked is possible, even if you do not understand what I'm asking.

What you asked for is probably possible. It's also a complete waste of time when dealing with database content because you're not dealing with files.

There are hundreds of thousands of topics on this site. There are not hundreds of thousands of files. The forum data is stored in many fewer files, all grouped together. The bottlenecks will be common to all pages, all the bottlenecks are in index.php and the code called from it.

Mirroring a dynamic site will likely not tell you any of the problems that can occur (and you might even be *creating* problems out of it)

Lastly, but by no means least, you're using a tool that is not produced by Simple Machines and you want to change what that tool does - but it's nothing to do with us.

The bottom line is what you're asking for is not going to happen.

Moerpot

A few years ago I confirmed with vbBullitin. They have the same answer. At that time our server had in the main index folder almost 27 million files. They still have no answer to that problem.

So before it became a problem with my own forum, I want to know how to access it.

Arantor

Seriously... you cannot get to the forum content with a file scraping tool. You need database tools to do it, just like you can't use a hammer to deal with screws, you need a screwdriver.

Moerpot

Well, then I'm just mis-informed.

Sorry for all the troubles.

Kindred

Quote from: Moerpot on September 26, 2013, 11:17:03 AM
Well, then I'm just mis-informed.

You are quite misinformed.

One would assume that, after you got the same befuddled look after asking on both VB and SMF - and then being told by both groups that "Forums do not work that way" that you would try to understand.

Let me repeat, one more time, what I originally said and what Aranotr has been trying to tell you.

SMF (and VB and myBB and phpBB, etc) uses a DATABASE to store **ALL** of the forum content such as users and posts.
This information exists ONLY in the database but is displayed by script when a user requests to view a post or a profile.
It is pulled out of the database.
there is no html file. period.

Trying to display a forum as flat html files is silly, and, as I said in my first repsonse, stupid.
There is a forum using our software that just hit 50 MILLION posts... I can't even imagine trying to figure out how to do that as flat files.

Additionally, your "demonstration" list had files and directories built on content that is not related to Simplemachines.org in any way.
charelotzweb is a host who posts here... but you seem to have pulled their main site and think its part of simplemachines.org because there are links to it in messages.
missallsunday is one of our developers but you seem to have pulled her personal site content into one of your scrapes... see above.
basically, your scraper has taken every single link in any manner displayed (signatures, adverts, etc) and assumed that it was a subdirectory/subsite of simplemachines which is WRONG.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: