News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Approve members in IPad

Started by mackes, September 30, 2013, 12:50:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mackes

There is some misbehavior in member approval selection on IPad. I tested with three different browsers all behave the same way (Opera works but have other issues)

When selecting registered members for approval and making choice approve and send mail I got a confirmation pop up where it is impossible to choose anything. Had to kill the process.

Latest SMF 2.0.5

P.S. Another request, when looking up member profile and choose approve after the line "not approved yet"  it would be nice to have the choice to send confirmation mail.

ziycon

Can you please attach some screen-shots of the issues?

mackes

Here is two screenshots using Chrome, the first one with the popup. As you can see both buttons are pressed but nothing happen, the screen is freezed. Sorry about the swedish translation but I'm sure the screen is familiar to you.

The second one is the profile where I would like to have a choice "activate and send mail" (after the red swedish text)

ziycon

Can you tell us what version of iOS your running on the iPad please?

mackes

Quote from: ziycon on October 01, 2013, 05:22:54 AM
Can you tell us what version of iOS your running on the iPad please?

Yes, the latest version 7.0.2 (11A501) Same issue in 7.0.1.

ziycon

Hi mackes, sorry about the delay in getting back to you. Can you give some step-by-step details on how to replicate this issue please so we can further investigate it?

mackes

Quote from: ziycon on October 10, 2013, 06:23:15 AM
Hi mackes, sorry about the delay in getting back to you. Can you give some step-by-step details on how to replicate this issue please so we can further investigate it?

Yes, if you Turn in registration approval from administrator and the register à news member.
Login as admin from an IPad browser and go to members registration approval.
Check the checkbox for the new applicant and choose "approve and send mail" from the dropdown.
You will the have a pop up checkbox that is frozen on the screen.

ziycon

kbrookes

I can confirm - myself and another member of my mod team who do most admin work on iPads have been having this exact issue since the release of iOS 7.

Kindred

Thing is....   it works just fine on iOS5
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

mackes

Ok, not a big issue then. Thanks for your support. Work on it on the next case you get.
Cheers

Kindred

I didn't say that it wasn't an issue... I said that I can't replicate it on iOS5, which seems odd...   (but is possible, who knows what Apple screwed up?)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Matthew K.

A lot has changed from iOS 5 to iOS 7. Even a lot with Safari.

kbrookes

Yep, Safari has been re-written almost from the ground up for iOS 7.

The crash is so bad you actually have to use the app switcher to force-quit Safari.

Arantor

I will attempt to reproduce it tonight then with my iPad (mini) with iOS 7 and see if I can't nail it down.

kbrookes

kbrookes

Hi there - any updates on this one?

Arantor

kbrookes

Thanks for that - I'm not the only reporting this though and not just on my forum.

So if it's a problem with the server setup, do you have any suggestions where we could look to resolve the issue?

Arantor

I did some digging. It seems to be a more widespread problem with Safari in iOS 7 - other app developers have had the same problem. I don't know why it worked for me when it shouldn't have done.

I'm not sure what we can do to fix it though :/

kbrookes

Thanks mate, it'd be very odd for it to affect a standard iPad (which is what myself and other mods have tested with) but not a mini - but it could be possible, however unlikely.

If I can get my hands on a mini I'll test that too.

Arantor

Or it could be that there's something else going on with my Mini, I do use it for development too so it's got all kinds of extra things configured that aren't stock ;)

johnsimpson64

Hello all .... I've also had this problem on my iPad3 ever since I updated the IOS to 7. A bit of a pain as I do a lot of registration requests on the ipad ... or atbleast I used to do.

On IOS6 it worked fine. I was starting to look through the SMF code last week to see if anything leaped out on me when .......... I updated my iPhone5 to IOS7 and ....... that still works fine. (both are running v7.0.2)

The difference between the two is that on the iPhone when you hit the select box arrow an odd additional window opens up at the bottom of the screen with the select options for you to scroll through. On the ipad this doesn't appear (and proceeds to lock up as per previous post)

HOWEVER ...... on the ipad, if we have a Membergroup request to deal with, after ticking the box and clicking on the select box arrow, that works fine.  I've not tried other select boxes yet but will do tomorrow.

Hope that helps in some way.

Kind regards

johnsimpson64

Update on the issue.

We've recently downloaded SMF 2.1 Alpha and I just tried it on there and it still locks up on the iPad.

I've also tried it on 2 other browsers in the iPad (Chrome and AtomicWeb) and both still have the problem.

Curiouser.

Arantor

Other developers have had the same problem with this - and it's not just SMF that's suffering from this situation... confirm() and alert() are both buggy on iOS 7.

Whether we can fix it in SMF is another matter entirely... no-one seems to have found a good solution yet.

Kindred

since this was something that worked on previous versions and continues to work on everything except iPad iOS7, I think it is something that Apple broke in the OS itself....   and is really up to them to fix it.
Слaва
Украинi

johnsimpson64

Quote from: Kindred on October 21, 2013, 03:30:11 PM
since this was something that worked on previous versions and continues to work on everything except iPad iOS7, I think it is something that Apple broke in the OS itself....   and is really up to them to fix it.

I agree entirely .... but I just did a google search for ANYTHING involving IOS7 3D Select/Dropdown box and there is pitifully little at the moment.  Wouldn't SMF have a bit more clout with Apple if you fired the issue off to them rather than a single user maybe?

Arantor

Nope. Apple have generally been pretty poor about responding to such issues.

johnsimpson64

@arantor ... Fair enough, I guess I kind of knew that might be the case really.

In the morning I want to try a hack and convert the Select Option temporarily to a Radio Button option on the Manage Members/Registration Approval page, to see if that cures the total lock up.

To save me some time rooting around, can you say in which file I'd find the function that generates that Select option?

Kind regards

johnsimpson64

Quick, dirty Workaround

I self-confess that I don't know a lot about this but it looks like it's an issue with IOS7 and the javascript implementation regarding the 'Are you sure' pop-up.

In managemembers.php I disabled the onchange statement on Line 975 and took out the <noscript> tags on Line 979 which gave me a simple Select dropdown and Go button. Now works fine on iPad.

@mackes  HTH

Advertisement: