News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Need help with PM settings

Started by wynnyelle, October 07, 2013, 02:12:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wynnyelle

I really, really hope I can get some help with this one. I have a pretty bad problem.

My PM inbox gets flooded daily with dozens of PMs from people on my site. I cannot keep up with them. But if I turn them off, reported PMs by members being harassed or spammed or something that I need to know about, also don't come through. So I am being forced to keep the PMs on and endure this flooding which is taking away a lot of my time offline, just so I can receive the PM reports.

I need to set my PM inbox up so I still receive the reports from anyone, but that only my buddies/friends list can actually send me PMs outside of that.

Please help...I am desperate. How do I do this?

ziycon

Can you not just ban the users that are mis-using the PM feature? Sounds to me like the type of users you wouldn't want around anyway!?

margarett

If you go to your profile --> Personal Messaging, you can choose:
"Receive personal messages from: "
In that list there is "Buddies and Administrators only"

Did you try this?
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

wynnyelle

Quote from: ziycon on October 07, 2013, 04:03:58 AM
Can you not just ban the users that are mis-using the PM feature? Sounds to me like the type of users you wouldn't want around anyway!?

but there are dozens every day...sometimes over a hundred...no, i want my life back :(

Yes I tried buddies and admins only but then it only sends me reports from buddies and admins, not other people.

ziycon

Are they spam users or genuine users?

If there spam users look at the mod section of the site here and have a look at httpbl mod.

emanuele

Quote from: wynnyelle on October 11, 2013, 01:52:33 AM
Yes I tried buddies and admins only but then it only sends me reports from buddies and admins, not other people.
* emanuele feels this is a bug.

@ziycon: being admin on Wynny's forum you can imagine that *several* people will want to PM you for any kind of matter (even not useful one).

I was going to suggest: use the PM rules (you can create rules to "filter" PM), though I just noticed that the most important is missing: "is not buddy". And anyway I suspect rules would affect reports too... meh.

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Arantor

Rules apply when you visit your inbox and subsequently to all active inbox PMs.

We need to figure out what to do with that.

emanuele

Are you sure?
I think the "delete" rule is applied when the PM is sent (but I'm not sure, I seem to remember a comment in the code along the lines "if the member doesn't want it useless to send it").

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Arantor

It's the sole reason is_new exists in the PM tables. Messages get added to the table marked is_new and get processed when going to the inbox (as opposed to is_read being used to see if it's unread or not)

Advertisement: