News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Create a topic without going back to board overview

Started by havok4615, October 05, 2013, 04:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

havok4615

Hi, i know there is a function where u can create a topic and i leads u directly into it, also if you reply to a topic i stays there. But my problem is, that if i reply/create a topic, i pushes me back to the Board overview. WHere can i set this?

kat

Profile...

Look and layout...

Return to topics after posting by default. :)

To change it, for everyone, Admin>Current theme.

Annoyingly Oddly enough, this is theme-specific. So, you'll need to do that for each theme, individually. :(

havok4615

im using default theme and i can only change it on profile, not for everyone
to be honest, this should be default.

kat

I agree. Strangely, though, our Project Manager, who's a bit odd ;) , insists that it stays as it is. :(

havok4615

So there is no way to make i for all? i using he DEFAULT theme and there is no way to set it up (or im blind) pls send me a pictures guide. i only got there option at "current Theme"
Logo image URL:
(leave blank to show forum name or default logo.) Site slogan:
Add your own text for a slogan here. It will replace the SMF logo. Select default smiley set for this theme: Forum width:
Set the forum width. Examples: 950px, 80%, 1240px.
Show current position in forum as link instead of text: Enable and show 'Mark as Read' buttons: Allow users to turn off word censoring: Enable random news line in the forum header:
Show news fader on board index: Fading delay between items for the news fader: Number of recent posts to display on board index:
To disable the recent posts bar set this value to zero. Show statistics on board index: Show latest member on board index: Show group key on board index: Show who is viewing the board index and posts:
Show last modification date on modified posts: Show view profile button under post: Show user avatars in message view: Show personal text in message view: Show gender images in message view: Hide post group titles for grouped members:
Enabling this will not display a member's post group title on the message view if they are assigned to a non-post based group.
Show BBC Buttons on Posting and PM Send Pages: Enable collapsible additional post options:

kat

Profile>Look and layout>Return to topics after posting by default.

For all themes, you need Themes>Theme Settings.

Click "Member options".

Under the theme name (Not obvious, really, is it?), you'll see "Reset all members' current options for this theme" (Which is worded very badly). Click that.

It's on that page.

Sorry for leading you astray, there.

havok4615

thank you, but srsly, this stuff should be like in EVERY OTHER FORUM ON IN THE WORLD do this stuff by default.

Arantor

And there are significant numbers of people here who disagree with you that it should be default... if you just posted it, why you do need to see what you just posted?

Kindred

exactly...

and I will reiterate - yet once again - just because another system does it does not make it right or even useful and definitely does not mean that we need to do it.

It's actually one of the things that I see users changing right after their first login on other systems...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

lurkalot

Quote from: Arantor on October 05, 2013, 11:14:30 PM
And there are significant numbers of people here who disagree with you that it should be default... if you just posted it, why you do need to see what you just posted?

Handy if you want to check stuff I guess.  Especially as the preview view is a different width to the actual post.  I always change mine to "Return to topics after posting by default"

Arantor

That's a valid point, but by then don't forget that people have already received notifications and whatnot, meaning that if formatting is important, preview is the thing to use.

lurkalot

Quote from: Arantor on October 06, 2013, 01:03:01 PM
That's a valid point, but by then don't forget that people have already received notifications and whatnot, meaning that if formatting is important, preview is the thing to use.

That's a good point.  In my case it's a check to see if it looks ok, and if not some minor tweaks only.  I'm not suggesting using that method to replace the preview, just to compliment it. 

It would be nice to see a toggle for this in SMF 3 though. (Please)  ;)

Arantor

Why do you need a toggle? You already have one. You already have the toggle for both yourself and to push it to all members.

Burke ♞ Knight

Toggle is already there for posting...
Open the attachments and other options:

Return to this topic.

Arantor

And you can set it in your profile > look and layout for general use, and you can set it in the admin panel for everyone.

kat

It's the first setting I ever change, from the default. :)

I wonder... Might be a good bit of PR, this, too, in a kinda "We listen to our members" way.

How about a poll, in the public boards?

Arantor

I was actually talking last night in our chat area about doing this, but I suggested a ton of ways to change up doing this. There are better ways to solve this problem than changing this default.

kat

Continuing the major hijacking of this thread... ;)

I think it'd be good, if this was an option that was displayed when the forum first gets installed.

If you look around, this has cropped-up millions of times, almost literally.

lurkalot

Quote from: Arantor on October 06, 2013, 01:14:27 PM
Why do you need a toggle? You already have one. You already have the toggle for both yourself and to push it to all members.

Because it's too complicated.  A simple checkbox in look and layout options, or something similar would be nice. ;)

Quote from: Arantor on October 06, 2013, 01:25:31 PM
And you can set it in your profile > look and layout for general use, and you can set it in the admin panel for everyone.

Yep it's well hidden in there, isn't it.

Quote from: K@ on October 06, 2013, 01:34:46 PM
It's the first setting I ever change, from the default. :)

I wonder... Might be a good bit of PR, this, too, in a kinda "We listen to our members" way.

How about a poll, in the public boards?

Best idea yet K@

Arantor

I'd really rather not make it an option on install... because that's a very nasty slippery slope where we end up providing dozens and dozens of options on install which makes it harder to use and whatnot. I'm not entirely a fan of the fact we even ask about 'registration mode' on install.

A lot of people do ask about it, and ultimately I'm tempted to just change it by default in 2.1 because I think it will cut the support headache. Doing 'the right thing by users' like this is possibly a good thing.

Advertisement: