vAdminSecurity DNS

Started by Valodim, September 27, 2005, 06:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valodim

Link to Mod

This mod implements a DNS/IP security check for admin actions (those you need to give a password for), providing additional security.

To use this, you will need either a static IP or a dynamic DNS (you can get a dynamic dns at no-ip.org or DynDNS.org). After you installed the mod, you'll have to set up your profile with your IP/DNS and enable the security in the features and options dialogue (right next to "disable administration security"). If you enable this without a valid dns/ip in your profile, you will not be able to access the admin interface anymore!!

If you use this mod and all admins use dns/ips, your forum becomes virtually unbreakable, unless a user gets your forum password, your dynamic dns-password, and your dynamic dns name, which is a lot more unlikely than just the forum password because the dns account is  in no way else related to your forum account. (keep in mind that other ways, like security holes in your server software, still work!)

I use no-ip, and have its option "run as system service" enabled with my dns in my profile. I don't notice this one bit, but it's nearly impossible for others to abuse admin permissions. :D

This mod is a BETA, it's not guaranteed to be stable. Be careful with this, especially if you don't have direct SQL access!! You can set "enable_dnssec" in the _settings table in your database to 0 to disable this, if you accidently prevented yourself from accessing the admin section.

\\ 0.91

RC3 compatibility, and tweaked some stuff. The DNS check is now independent of the password check, meaning that it's checked every page call (and not just when the admin session expires), and you can disable the password check and use dns security as replacement.

LostLoves

Installations actions for "vAdminSecurity DNS":
The package you are trying to download or install is either corrupt or not compatible with this version of SMF. 

AtariKid

The package [vAdminSecurity DNS] has been downloaded successfully, but when I [ Apply Mod ] Package Manager - Install Actions: Install Actions for archive vAdminSecurity_0.90.tar.gz: The package you are trying to download or install is either corrupt or not compatible with this version of SMF.

I guess it's not compatable with SMF 1.0.5.
Rawk on dude!
SMF 1.1 RC1 | MKP 1.1 Rc1

Valodim

"This mod is for 11rc only, it was not tested with 11b3!" >_>

AtariKid

Yep. Thanks for bumping this topic up. I forgot I tried this when I had SMF 1.0.5. I now run SMF 1.1 RC1 and the install went beautifully.  ;)
Rawk on dude!
SMF 1.1 RC1 | MKP 1.1 Rc1

desistyle

can someone make this mod for smf 1.06

H

Quote from: desistyle on February 02, 2006, 07:54:11 PM
can someone make this mod for smf 1.06

As this mod was not made for SMF 1.0.5 or 1.1b3 I doubt it will be made for 1.0.6.

I recommend you upgrade you forum to 1.1 RC2 and then check with the author to see if it is compatible with 1.1 RC2
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

Valodim

Nano

ezekiel.jr

Im running 1.1 RC3 and I'm getting this error

Error in Package Installation

At least one error was encountered during a test installation of this package. It is strongly recommended that you do not continue with installation unless you know what you are doing, and have made a backup very recently. This error may be caused by a conflict between the package you're trying to install and another package you have already installed, an error in the package, a package which requires another package that you don't have installed yet, or a package designed for another version of SMF.

Installing this package will perform the following actions:  Type Action Description
1. Execute Code vAdminSecurityDB.php 
2. Execute Modification ./Sources/Load.php Test successful
3. Execute Modification ./Sources/Security.php Test successful
4. Execute Modification ./Sources/Profile.php Test failed
5. Execute Modification ./Themes/default/Profile.template.php Test successful
6. Execute Modification ./Sources/ModSettings.php Test successful
7. Execute Modification ./Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english.php Test successful
8. Execute Modification ./Themes/default/languages/Help.english.php Test successful

Do I need to modify anything before the mod will work on this version.

Thanks.
The Swine Flu Pandemic
http://www.allaboutswineflu.net/

ezekiel.jr

The Swine Flu Pandemic

Valodim

sorry for the late reply :)

no, it should work without any problems... do you have any other mods installed?

ezekiel.jr

These are my current installed packages

1. Ad Managment 2.0   [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ] 
2. Advanced Visual Verification 1.0   [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ] 
3. Googlebot & Spiders Mod 2.0.2   [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ] 
4. Merge Double Posts 1.0.6   [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ] 
5. Global Headers Footers 1.1   [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ] 
6. Sticky First Post (extends sticky topic) 1.2.3   [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ] 
7. User Email System 1.0   [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ] 
8. New Topic Button 1.0   [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ] 
9. TinyPortal 0.95   [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ] 
10. AutoSig 1.1   [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ] 

The Swine Flu Pandemic

Valodim

any of those could interfere with load.php... sorry, can't do much to help you. try installing it, and manually checking what's missing in load.php :P

ezekiel.jr

I tried to install it despite the warning and it did get to work fine. But I guess Im just noob to all this. I did get an account at no-ip and updated my profile to reflect that dynamic ip in my forum board and every time i implement the package i become unable to access the admin anymore. Do you have a step by step instruction how to configure this. Appreciate it a lot. Thanks.
The Swine Flu Pandemic

Valodim

the problem is, if load.php wasn't properly modified, the mod will fail to load the dns with the rest of the user data. that means you can set it up and stuff, but when the check occurs it will always fail...

ok, do the following:
install the mod, and check if this line

'securityDNS' => isset($user_settings['securityDNS']) ? $user_settings['securityDNS'] : '',

exists in your load.php. this is rather likely, but just make sure it does. after that, check if this string

mem.securityDNS,

exists somewhere in the file, too. if it doesn't (which is probably the problem), search for a line like this (very unlikely to have been modified)

elseif ($set == 'profile')

right below is a list of field names, seperated by commas, like this

mem.gender, mem.avatar, mem.ID_MEMBER, mem.memberName,

add one name

mem.securityDNS,

somewhere between them, and everything should work fine.

ezekiel.jr

Quote from: Valodim on October 12, 2006, 06:15:50 AM
the problem is, if load.php wasn't properly modified, the mod will fail to load the dns with the rest of the user data. that means you can set it up and stuff, but when the check occurs it will always fail...

ok, do the following:
install the mod, and check if this line

'securityDNS' => isset($user_settings['securityDNS']) ? $user_settings['securityDNS'] : '',

exists in your load.php. this is rather likely, but just make sure it does. after that, check if this string

mem.securityDNS,

exists somewhere in the file, too. if it doesn't (which is probably the problem), search for a line like this (very unlikely to have been modified)

elseif ($set == 'profile')

right below is a list of field names, seperated by commas, like this

mem.gender, mem.avatar, mem.ID_MEMBER, mem.memberName,

add one name

mem.securityDNS,

somewhere between them, and everything should work fine.

I checked all the code you mentioned and everything was present. If I am the only 1.1 RC3 having problems with your mod then something else might be wrong.

Incidentally it was Profile.php <Execute Modification ./Sources/Profile.php Test failed> not Load.php

Thanks for your helpfulness though.
The Swine Flu Pandemic

PLAYBOY

Quote from: ezekiel.jr on October 05, 2006, 08:17:22 PM
Im running 1.1 RC3 and I'm getting this error

Error in Package Installation

At least one error was encountered during a test installation of this package. It is strongly recommended that you do not continue with installation unless you know what you are doing, and have made a backup very recently. This error may be caused by a conflict between the package you're trying to install and another package you have already installed, an error in the package, a package which requires another package that you don't have installed yet, or a package designed for another version of SMF.

Installing this package will perform the following actions:  Type Action Description
1. Execute Code vAdminSecurityDB.php 
2. Execute Modification ./Sources/Load.php Test successful
3. Execute Modification ./Sources/Security.php Test successful
4. Execute Modification ./Sources/Profile.php Test failed
5. Execute Modification ./Themes/default/Profile.template.php Test successful
6. Execute Modification ./Sources/ModSettings.php Test successful
7. Execute Modification ./Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english.php Test successful
8. Execute Modification ./Themes/default/languages/Help.english.php Test successful

Do I need to modify anything before the mod will work on this version.

Thanks.

i had exactly the same ERROR but i wasnt that brave to go over it. so im one of the guys who is waiting for a Solution for this problem. But its a Great mod for sure. USEFUL. once you are able to use it :)

PLAYBOY

Guys Please help us about this. cause (especially me) I really need this mod. but on the other hand, i dont wanna mess up my forum eighter and i am kinda new in this forum thing...

Valodim

sorry for the delay, didn't notice the new replies in this thread :P

will fix and update for 1.1 final in a few days' time.

Advertisement: