News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Several questions - new to SMF (2.0.5)

Started by andreysc7, October 08, 2013, 07:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

margarett

Well, the first problem is expected. The MOD (as my trick above) will only hide the name of the primary membergroup. If you want to take the "Newbie", there is a built in option in SMF for that:
Administration Center » Configuration » Current Theme » Hide post group titles for grouped members
(as per Kindred's advice)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

andreysc7

Thaks guys for helping. I  have solved the problem with the membergroup name, but no luck for the mode called "stars and badges" :( .

If you have some free time, or if you are bored  :laugh: , can you help me to make it work ? (that part with the coding stuff)

andreysc7

And I have forgot to ask. Is there any way to change the type of the links of my forum ? Like canonical links ? Because now they are like this : index.php?topic=15.msg51#new and I would like to know if they can be /name of topic, or something similar

Arantor

There are two different mods for this, Pretty URLs and SimpleSEF. But they will both give you various other troubles, significantly increased resource usage and little other benefit other than nicer looking links (there are few actual benefits to them)

andreysc7

Quote from: Arantor on October 11, 2013, 02:05:23 PM
There are two different mods for this, Pretty URLs and SimpleSEF. But they will both give you various other troubles, significantly increased resource usage and little other benefit other than nicer looking links (there are few actual benefits to them)

Does the topic will be the same for the search engines ? if the I have the standard link, or the canonical link, for search engine will be the same ?

Arantor

I don't understand what you mean.

SMF already manages canonical links.

You want to 'prettify' the links to add the topic title to them; there are two different mods in SMF that do the same thing. Neither does it perfectly. Both will update the canonical link to point to the 'pretty' URL with keywords and whatnot in it.

But all of that becomes irrelevant when users almost always make titles that have no SEO benefit. So there is not a lot of point to it.

andreysc7

Quote from: Arantor on October 11, 2013, 09:07:31 PM
But all of that becomes irrelevant when users almost always make titles that have no SEO benefit. So there is not a lot of point to it.

I guess you're right

~aura~

Quote from: Kindred on October 09, 2013, 10:48:35 AM
for the newbie thing, find the checkbox to hide post-count-based groups for users who have a primary group (in current theme settings

Kindred, thankyou reading the amount of board posts i am is helping me with lots of things, and this was something that had me puzzled and in an instant its fixed, thanks for giving of your time and sharing your knowledge *S*

aura
"seek not a life of riches, earthly gold or pearls, seek only a heart that is happy, a heart that is honest, a heart that is pure"

Do you need a good host, my host is Charlottezweb, they are NOT an overseller, always answer questions, friendly to newbies. click here to visit Charlottezweb

Advertisement: