News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

new_post's not switching from 'off' icon

Started by cottoncandiclassics, October 11, 2013, 08:16:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cottoncandiclassics

Alright...

So I'm reading and I'm reading and I'm reading... And I somewhere along the lines got entirely lost. I would blame it on the fact that I've been trying to fix this issue for... Oh... 4 hours and 35 minutes now, give or take a couple minutes... But, well, who knows.

So... This is my story.

Version Information:
Forum version: SMF 2.0.5
Current SMF version: SMF 2.0.5
Forum Link: hxxp:forums.portalofdreams.com/neverafter/index.php [nonactive]
Theme based off of: Black Ops

Now, keep in mind, I'm a designer, not a coder... I make thing's look pretty... The geeks make them WORK.

So, I'm using a theme that my partner likes... I've edited the graphic files to work for our particular needs.

I have all the necessary images, named exactly the way they were in the original theme, just overriding the graphics. They kinda look like this...
new_none.png

new_some.png

off.png

on.png

on2.png

(ignore the actual links to those images. I simply uploaded them to show you what they look like)...

So. I didn't change the names at all. I simply replaced them with my own graphics.

Now the problem:
When a new reply is posted, the icon graphic remains in the 'off' position. It never changes to 'on' with those nifty green glows to alert member's that there is a new post there.

I've tried uninstalling.
Re-hunting down my theme.
Re-downloading it
re-doing the graphics.
And then re-uploading.

Doesn't work...

Do I need to remind you that I'm a graphic artist, NOT a Coder...

What do I have to do to make the 'off' switch 'on' so we can all stop looking at the 'last post' date to see if we missed something...

Update:
Browsers Cache has been cleared.
Admin -> Forum Maintenance>Clear File Cache done.

Burke ♞ Knight

cottoncandiclassics

Burke ♞ Knight

Go into Admin -> Forum Maintenance
Scroll down until get to Clear File Cache

Try that

cottoncandiclassics

For the record... I didn't even know that one was there!

Cleared.
Still not working though.

I know I've got one reply on a thread marked as 'unread' so I can keep checking to see if the 'off' switches to on.

Nothing yet, I'm afraid.

Arantor

cottoncandiclassics

Yeah I just noticed it wasn't in the first post...

So I put there. For some reason it's listing is as nonactive.. whatever that means.

But:

hxxp:forums.portalofdreams.com/neverafter/index.php [nonactive]

Arantor

Well, I checked the first thing, which is that the file did exist as it should (you'd be surprised how many people upload images over each other)

Thing is, having one thread marked unread won't change the board status for you. You need to have someone else make a post that's unread to you for it to be listed as unread. The way it is done is designed to keep it fast even with millions of posts and hundreds of thousands of users.

cottoncandiclassics

Ahhh... Now that might help.

Alright, I shall start blackmailing my friends into posting something so I can see if it works.

Shall be back!

(Oh, and thanks to the both of you for such quick help!)

cottoncandiclassics

Breaking News!

This just in...

My 'on' is GLOWING!!!

Or so one of my forum member's tells me!

GLOWING!!!

Gawds, five hours of trying to fix that... I is sooo happy!

Oh, thank you thank you thank you!

Apparently one of those cleared cache's solved the problem!

You have no idea how much you two just made my day!!!

Burke ♞ Knight

If that is the case, then I guess we can mark this solved. :)

Arantor

Nope, neither of the cache clears fixed the problem. The first one would only have affected your computer, the second wouldn't have done anything because none of the data in the main board listing is cached anyway (it's always fetched live)

The problem is an incorrect assumption about how SMF works (marking something unread doesn't make the board appear unread, neither does anything you post in it, needs someone else to post that isn't you and you'd see it)

Advertisement: