News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Database accidently deleted help needed

Started by Johnboy1974, October 17, 2013, 04:12:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kindred

I disagree. Emanuele went to a fair amount of trouble to actually fix it... and then got reamed by some complainers...  so he took it out.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Kindred on October 17, 2013, 05:37:00 PM
... and then got reamed by some complainers... 

That's a bit harsh.  IIRC, some questions were raised as to whether the fix adequately addressed the backup problems, and ema ran out of patience after having put much work into it, and spiked it.

A reliable backup utility would be a very valuable feature, but having had similar problems recently on a couple of hosts with phpmyadmin dumps, I'm wondering if it's even possible.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Arantor

Given the way things were previously, that's an absolutely fair description of what happened.

Johnboy1974

Well guys I'm still waiting, two days now and still the forums down.
I've asked them to restore from 24 hours before I made my fatal error so hopefully everything will be alright as I think I've paid enough money for the service.

Angelina Belle

Were you able to get your SQL database working again?
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -- Hanlon's Razor

Johnboy1974

Yes guys I got my database restored and everything up and running. Best of all they had a backup from 6 hours previous to my fatal error. I guess the money was worth it in the end.
I've now made a complete backup of the forum files and database, which I will do once a month.

Angelina Belle

I'm glad it all worked out for you in the end, and that you have a plan in place to protect your forum in the future.  You won't regret it!
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -- Hanlon's Razor

Advertisement: