SMF Support > Converting to SMF

[SMF Converter] UBB.threads 7.5

(1/22) > >>

emanuele:
Here it is an hopefully working converter for UBB.threads 7.5.

Thanks to Sea Mac and his collaborators that provided the database and support to fix the converter.

I hope it will be helpful to others as well.

Sea Mac:
1,000,000 thanks for helping us out!

Our forum had 12 years at UBB Classic/Threads: with OVER 247,000 posts in more than 22,200 topics. Famous people - Like John Morley and (I think) Terence McKenna - have posted (and since died) and we REALLY Wanted to preserve what they wrote to us ....

But it seems that UBB Threads is not being updated, or developed, much (if at all) and is now becoming practically unusable - requiring older versions of PHP and the like. I've been a SMF user (and beta tester of 2) for 7 years: and had WANTED to get my Home forum "Up to Date" and SECURE since 2007. But NO ONE has (until today) a viable converter for UBB Threads 7.5.7 to ANY open source PHP BBS ... so we were "Stuck" in that old UBB Threads - stranded actually!

You Saved our "Gold" for Us!!!! WE are eternally grateful!!! (And SMF users 4ever ... :laugh: )

I suppose I should report the problems with the WYSIWYG editing (leaving 'extra' BBC tags scattered throughout posts and the like) these New SMF users are reporting to me ::) .... (Sigh). And Posts in GrandChildren Boards are not showing up in "Last Post" item on front page ... (Whaaaa. big whoop ::) )

But most of them have never SEEN detailed Stats before - or so many ways to add expression to posting - and are as delighted as children at Christmas with the NEW forum.

You do magnificent work - Thank You!!

Sea Mac and the Gang ..

emanuele:
Glad to be able to help. :)

--- Quote from: Sea Mac on October 26, 2013, 12:55:55 PM ---I suppose I should report the problems with the WYSIWYG editing (leaving 'extra' BBC tags scattered throughout posts and the like) these New SMF users are reporting to me ::)
--- End quote ---
It's a known bug.
I think I tried to fix some of those errors while working on 2.1 (the fixes should still be around in the "fixes or bogus bug" board and should be possible to find them), but then I stopped when a brand new editor was used to replace the current one (And the second option is that you can install the SCEditor mod that brings the editor that will be used on SMF 2.1 to SMF 2.0).

--- Quote from: Sea Mac on October 26, 2013, 12:55:55 PM ---And Posts in GrandChildren Boards are not showing up in "Last Post" item on front page ... (Whaaaa. big whoop ::) )
--- End quote ---
And this is done like that by design, in order to keep the performance impact of such operations at an acceptable level.

margarett:
The grand children "thing" is normal, as you may know.
There is a MOD to solve that, but with a performance hit attached...

kudos emanuele, you're the conversion master :P

Ichinen:
I'm echoing what Sea Mac wrote:

--- Quote ---1,000,000 thanks for helping us out!

Our forum had 12 years at UBB Classic/Threads: with OVER 247,000 posts in more than 22,200 topics. Famous people - Like John Morley and (I think) Terence McKenna - have posted (and since died) and we REALLY Wanted to preserve what they wrote to us ....
But it seems that UBB Threads is not being updated, or developed, much (if at all) and is now becoming practically unusable - requiring older versions of PHP and the like. I've been a SMF user (and beta tester of 2) for 7 years: and had WANTED to get my Home forum "Up to Date" and SECURE since 2007. But NO ONE has (until today) a viable converter for UBB Threads 7.5.7 to ANY open source PHP BBS ... so we were "Stuck" in that old UBB Threads - stranded actually!

You Saved our "Gold" for Us!!!! WE are eternally grateful!!! (And SMF users 4ever ... :laugh: )
--- End quote ---

"Famous people - Like John Morley and (I think) Terence McKenna - have posted (and since died) and we REALLY Wanted to preserve what they wrote to us ...."

Not to mention Karl Hanes (who worked with Salvia divinorum for depression, when it was legal in Australia); there are others, but I will respect their privacy.

I must say, though, that we were becoming a bit frantic, being 'stuck' at UBB Classic (then Threads), because many of us ONLY post our research and reports of findings at WorldEyes, and it would have been tragic to have lost all that, since much of our work cannot be found anyplace else on the internet...

I am deeply grateful to Sea Mac for all his tinkering with SMF at his other websites, to make sure SMF fits our WorldEyes community like a glove.

And emanuele, you have no idea what a service you've provided in creating that converter for us - and WE got to help with getting the bugs out, so the next "UBB refugees" will have a squeaky clean converter. Thank you, so much.

*bowing Respect and Appreciation*

Ichinen / anna

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version