News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Not sure of the cause of my problem.

Started by twig/al, October 30, 2013, 12:39:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twig/al

My forum uses SMF 2.0.5 with SimplePortal 2.3.5 my forum has been running for years with no problems, I have made no changes in the Control Panel since the update to 2.0.5... All of a sudden a few days ago I started to have problems, Examples: I can't upload attachments, I can't change the text (style, size, or color), I can't even upload the 2.0.6 update using the package manager... I have checked with my hosting company and they say they haven't changed anything to cause the problem... I have went and looked at every setting I can and have found no changes... I don't mind doing the work, but I have very limited knowledge about the forum... I did install it and have kept it updated for years now, but on this I am lost... Can someone help? Thanks in advance...

shadow82x

What kind of errors are you receiving? Page timeouts? Some error text? etc.
Colin B
Former Spammer, Customize, & Support Team Member

twig/al

No errors, no timeouts... I can still post, but that is about all... PM functions correctly and send notifications...

twig/al

I just found this error:

The attachments upload directory is not writable. Your attachment or avatar cannot be saved.

One of the members tried to upload a photo... I looked at the settings on the Hosts control panel and it shows to ne writable...

I also ran the Error Check in the SMF Control Panel and it came back No errors found...

kat

Just a hunch, this...

As your problems all seem to involve uploading something, have you, actually, got room on the server, to upload any more?

To check, go to your site's CPanel and, in the section labelled "Files" click "Disk space usage".

Look, at the bottom, for "xxx.xx MB quota limit (xxx.xx MB used)"

'course, if you ARE out of space, it's kinda weird that your host didn't tell you that...

MrPhil

Quote from: twig/al on October 30, 2013, 12:54:24 AM
I looked at the settings on the Hosts control panel and it shows to ne writable...
What is "writable"? If it's 777, that is not writable on systems which forbid "world writable" directories or files. Try 755 and then 775.

Kindred

and that still may not fix the issue, if your host has screwed up the chown ownership settings.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

MrPhil

If you don't "own" the directory or file in the first place, you won't even be able to chmod it.

Kindred

yeah.. but some of it is confusing because the chmod is mot rejected, it is silently ignored.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

twiggs

I was looking in he Package Manager File Permissions and there are some files listed there with this beside them: Not Writable  (chmod: 0755)  and  Not Writable  (chmod: 0777) and I can't change them... I have suspected the hosting company did something, but they told me they haven't, could this possible be from a hacker?

Kindred

no.   It's not from a hacker....   it is almost certainly from a (mis)configuration on the part of your host.
Слaва
Украинi

twiggs

Kindred, I have been in contact with them for days now and they say they have changed nothing... I guess I am back to them and try and get it fixed on their end... Thanks, for all the help from everyone!!! Any idea why on this forum I went from 162 posts down to 3 posts, and have to do the verification code on all my posts?

PS, since I am a newbie again can someone close this post.. LOL...

Kindred

Because you seem to have two accounts...

twig/al

and
twiggs
Слaва
Украинi

twiggs

Kindred, the twiggs account is not me... It is using my store website email address, not one that I every use for anything but receive email from my site... What do I need to do to cancel or delete it?

Now I can't login using twig/al looks like I have another problem... LOL... Which one should I use?

Kindred

well, it would seem that the twiggs account IS you, since you are posting with it...

What you can do?   Log out and then log back in with the twig/al account...
Слaва
Украинi

twiggs

OK, Thanks... I will use it even though I started the thread as twig/al... Guess I will have to build posts again to kill the verification... Sorry for the trouble...

Oldiesmann

Quote from: twiggs on October 30, 2013, 03:22:33 PM
OK, Thanks... I will use it even though I started the thread as twig/al... Guess I will have to build posts again to kill the verification... Sorry for the trouble...

Which account do you want to use? The simple solution here is to delete the one you don't want to use (leaving posts and topics), then re-attributing the posts from that account to the one you DO want to use.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Kindred

but he has to be able to log in to the account...   I am not sure why he has two accounts from two separate emails which have been around since 2007 and 2008, respectively......
Слaва
Украинi

twig/al

I got logged back in on the twig/al account, this is supposed to be the only account I have... Checked the profile and it was created in 2007 which is when I started using SMF... Now how do I delete the twiggs account?

Advertisement: