News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Search button

Started by MarkoKg, November 10, 2013, 04:35:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkoKg

Hey there.

I have a custom styled search bar on my SMF 2.0.6 forum, and I just added a little "search" image next to it (you can see in the picture at the right side of search bar) but now I want that image to be clickable and to start search when clicking on it. Right now search can be started just by hitting enter.

Code for the "image":

<A href="#" style="display:block;"><Div class="SubmitSearch"></Div></A>

And if needed, CSS for it:

Div.SubmitSearch {
position: absolute;
top: 75px;
left: 50%;
margin-left: 100px;
border-radius: 0px 4px 4px 0px;
cursor: pointer;
width:38px;
padding: 0px 4px 4px 0px;
height: 34px;
background: center center no-repeat url('images/search.png') #53C9F2;
}

I don't know how to link that button to search page, I mean to search results based on users input in that search bar?

margarett

You should start by looking at the same bit used by SMF itself in its search (that *has* a search button ;) )

<input type="submit" name="submit" value="', $txt['search'], '" class="button_submit" />

How that is made on your theme, well it depends on the theme, that's why we usually recommend to ask the author for advice ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Arantor

Yup, it's infinitely better to restyle an actual button rather than trying to hammer a div into being one ;)

SoLoGHoST

Ouch, a <div> tag inside of an <a> tag?  That goes against everything that I know.  Use a <span> instead and give it a style="display: block;" if you must go that route.

Arantor

Ouch, an a tag instead of an input button for form submission? ;)

MarkoKg

Indeed. :P

I just used:
<input type="submit" name="submit" value="" class="SubmitSearch" />
and that seems to be working great, lol, don't know why that wasn't came to my mind at the first place :D

Thanks guys! :)

Advertisement: