News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

[FREE] Bug Tracker

Started by bigjoe11a, November 03, 2013, 11:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjoe11a

Quote from: Arantor on November 04, 2013, 06:24:09 PM
Considering that all the emulate function does is allow you ignore the version check, if you had problems with it, you would have had problems REGARDLESS.

All the emulate function is doing is changing what package-info.xml is going to be reporting, so instead of 2.0 it says 2.0.6 (only doing it without having to edit the file itself)

Guess you're going to have to go without a bug tracker then, because those are your two choices.

Yes, I know. I all ready removed it from my SMF. Thanks
SMF Forums http://www.df-barracks.com Where gamers go.

margarett

Then you're not doing it in the right order.

You should have the package listed in "Browse Packages". Delete it.
Then, re-upload it in "Download Packages". When it uploads, it offers you to install it. DON'T.
Go to "Browse Packages". Find the button "Advanced" below. In the box, have just "SMF 2.0" (without quotes). Click button APPLY.
The page refreshes. Now install SMF Project Tools.

It has to work. I've just did it again :P
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Arantor

Or of course, you could just edit package-info.xml to say 2.0.6 instead of 2.0 but that would only get you to the same point where margarett and I have been talking about ;)

lurkalot

Quote from: bigjoe11a on November 04, 2013, 06:12:16 PM
Then I ha
Quote from: margarett on November 04, 2013, 06:10:27 PM
Just downloaded from GH and installed in my test board with no issues.

I have no idea why it didn't work on my SMF. do you have any ideas. I just don't know why.

This is the reason (just guessing) ;)

When you upload a mod using the package manager, and once it uploads it (stupidly) gives you a "install mod" link. 

Ignore that "install mod link", and go back to the package manager.  Look at the mod you just uploaded then you'll see it has no install link.  That's because it's not compatible out of the box with 2.0.6, so you need to emulate SMF to a different version

At the bottom of the package manager you'll see the Advanced link, click this and type in SMF 2.0, and apply

Then you'll see the install link for that mod.

EDIT:  margarett beat me to it.  :-[

bigjoe11a

Quote from: margarett on November 04, 2013, 06:29:12 PM
Then you're not doing it in the right order.

You should have the package listed in "Browse Packages". Delete it.
Then, re-upload it in "Download Packages". When it uploads, it offers you to install it. DON'T.
Go to "Browse Packages". Find the button "Advanced" below. In the box, have just "SMF 2.0" (without quotes). Click button APPLY.
The page refreshes. Now install SMF Project Tools.

It has to work. I've just did it again :P

Yes I know. I think you just said that once. Like I said. Last time I did this. It screwed me for hours. The installer on a mod from 4 years ago put me back like 1 day. Because I had to spend all that time reinstalling my SMF on my host. That's why i won't do that. Just changing the advance button from 2.0.6 to 2.0 just sets up the mod to let it install. Doing this just changes pages and setup up crap that could screw up your installed SMF. That's why I'm sorry. I won't do that.

Arantor

QuoteJust changing the advance button from 2.0.6 to 2.0 just sets up the mod to let it install.

Yes, that's the point. You change it, install the mod, put it back.

All it's doing is changing what version of SMF it's going to look for in the install instructions, nothing more. All you're doing is saying 'instead of look for 2.0.6 install instructions, look for ones that say 2.0', you know, just like in the package.

The entire process is fragile anyway, because it relies on find/replace operations.

And this is why you have a test site to try things out on before deploying to live just in case things break.

(Btw, I was using version emulate before it even had a UI in 2.0, it's in 1.1.x and has been for years but without a user interface. It won't screw anything up if used properly)

Heck, even mods listed as 2.0.6 can screw your site up if they clash with other things.

bigjoe11a

Quote from: Arantor on November 04, 2013, 06:36:30 PM
QuoteJust changing the advance button from 2.0.6 to 2.0 just sets up the mod to let it install.

All it's doing is changing what version of SMF it's going to look for in the install instructions, nothing more. All you're doing is saying 'instead of look for 2.0.6 install instructions, look for ones that say 2.0', you know, just like in the package.

The entire process is fragile anyway, because it relies on find/replace operations.

And this is why you have a test site to try things out on before deploying to live just in case things break.

(Btw, I was using version emulate before it even had a UI in 2.0, it's in 1.1.x and has been for years but without a user interface. It won't screw anything up if used properly)

Heck, even mods listed as 2.0.6 can screw your site up if they clash with other things.

I use to have a localhost that I could you to test this crap. Look I'm going to try this. If this crashes my SMF. I will be one pissed M.F.

margarett

Ah, ok.
Well, sorry to hear that.
Anyway, as Arantor said, it's the same if you choose to emulate the version or not. If it has to screw your forum then it will, with or without emulation...
The MOD has grown since 4 years. And, as far as I know, it's the only one to do this. So maybe it's time to give it another change? ;) If you do a good backup it should take you no more than 10 minutes to recover it ;) IF it goes down. In my test board it didn't...

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

bigjoe11a

Quote from: Arantor on November 04, 2013, 06:36:30 PM

Well I installed it. I wasn't able to install it for the core theme. I was able to install it for the current theme. I have a problem. I listed the new error below. This is why I don't like doing this. Every time I upgrade. It doesn't upgrade every thing it should. So now what do I do.

Illegal mix of collations (latin1_general_ci,IMPLICIT) and (latin1_swedish_ci,IMPLICIT) for operation 'ifnull'
File: /hsphere/local/home/c374939/df-barracks.com/Sources/Subs-Project.php
Line: 632

Note: It appears that your database may require an upgrade. Your forum's files are currently at version SMF 2.0.6, while your database is at version 2.0.2. The above error might possibly go away if you execute the latest version of upgrade.php.

margarett

The database warning, forget about it. Just an irrelevant PITA.

The other warning implies some mixed collations there. Can you check in your phpmyadmin if all the tables have the same collation?
You did install it in your live site, didn't you? :P

Arantor

QuoteEvery time I upgrade. It doesn't upgrade every thing it should

If you install the upgrades properly they upgrade everything they should.

QuoteSo now what do I do.

I'd love to know why your database is misconfigured (your members table is using latin1_general instead of latin1_swedish like it should be)

Surprised you haven't had more trouble with mods with that being misconfigured actually (it's not SMF's fault, nor is it the mod's fault)

bigjoe11a

Quote from: margarett on November 04, 2013, 06:54:45 PM
The database warning, forget about it. Just an irrelevant PITA.

The other warning implies some mixed collations there. Can you check in your phpmyadmin if all the tables have the same collation?
You did install it in your live site, didn't you? :P

Yes I did, my web address is http://www.df-barracks.com, so How do I fix this other problem.  what is a collation and how do I fix it.

bigjoe11a

Quote from: Arantor on November 04, 2013, 06:56:38 PM
QuoteEvery time I upgrade. It doesn't upgrade every thing it should

If you install the upgrades properly they upgrade everything they should.

QuoteSo now what do I do.

I'd love to know why your database is misconfigured (your members table is using latin1_general instead of latin1_swedish like it should be)

Surprised you haven't had more trouble with mods with that being misconfigured actually (it's not SMF's fault, nor is it the mod's fault)

I installed them from the package manager. That's where it says to install them from. and never got any errors when installing them. and I never had any problems with any of the mods I have installed. Not yet any way and I haven't in the last 5 years.

I just want to get this fixed.

Arantor

A collation is a setting applied in a database table to indicate how text should be sorted (because not all alphabets have the same rules)

For some reason your installation is messed up, it should never be latin1_general_ci in an SMF installation, it should be latin1_swedish_ci, and it is this that is causing your problem.

Fixing it means going through every table in your installation and updating the collation.

bigjoe11a

Quote from: Arantor on November 04, 2013, 06:59:56 PM
A collation is a setting applied in a database table to indicate how text should be sorted (because not all alphabets have the same rules)

For some reason your installation is messed up, it should never be latin1_general_ci in an SMF installation, it should be latin1_swedish_ci, and it is this that is causing your problem.

Fixing it means going through every table in your installation and updating the collation.

Oh wow, ok I guess. every thing has to equal this latin1_swedish_ci Right.

margarett

So first you should check the actual collation. Go to phpmyadmin, list your SMF tables and look for "strangers" in the column, as attached.
Mine is UTF-8 but it's just to illustrate ;)

bigjoe11a

Quote from: margarett on November 04, 2013, 07:04:02 PM
So first you should check the actual collation. Go to phpmyadmin, list your SMF tables and look for "strangers" in the column, as attached.
Mine is UTF-8 but it's just to illustrate ;)

Ok, so why does mine have to be latin1_swedish_ci, Do you have a way for me to change theses. This could take days or weeks for me to make the changes to all of the tables

margarett

No, yours don't need to be anything in specific. You should have the majority of your tables with a certain collation and some "intruders" with another. And we want to know what do you have ;)

bigjoe11a

Quote from: margarett on November 04, 2013, 07:12:05 PM
No, yours don't need to be anything in specific. You should have the majority of your tables with a certain collation and some "intruders" with another. And we want to know what do you have ;)

Ok, well your going to have to tell me just what you need. I don't think I ever have done this before. So I just need to know what you need to see.

margarett

Go to phpmyadmin, open your SMF database in the left side. On the main panel you should see your SMF tables, like my attachment. Check the "Collation" column. You should notice the "common" and the "intruder" collations.
Let us know ;)

Advertisement: