Why moderator may edit messages posted by the administrator?

Started by Derof, November 04, 2013, 02:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Derof

Why moderator may edit messages posted by the administrator?

How to disable?

Best regards
Derof

My version SMF 2.0.6

Arantor

There is no way to disable that.

If you don't trust them as a moderator, don't make them a moderator.

Kindred

and to answer your question as to why....

because that's how permissions work.
Either they can edit everyone's message(s), they can edit only their own, or they can never edit any...
those are your only three choices.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Derof

For example. It's as if the worker could change boss mails and send them. The administrator is the boss and do not need moderation message. In my view, as it is now, it is not good solution.

Arantor

I understand your concern. It still isn't going to be changed.

Kindred

you can have whatever view you want....   It doesn't need "fixing".

1- you should only have people that you trust in positions of power.
2- if anyone edits the message, a note is attached that the message was editted... and the fact that an edit was made is logged (if you have the moderation log turned on). So, if it really is a concern, keep an eye on your moderators. If they modify the contents of an admin's post, then demote them.

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

And if you really want to, there's a mod for keeping the edit history.

Derof

Ok, thanks for the reply. I understand, that it will not be changed. But you may want to give a choice. Additional option - "Messages administrators can not be edited by the moderators." Who wants - to select the option, who does not want - do not select the option.

Arantor

No, I will not be adding that choice, I already told you it is not going to be changed. The effort required to calculate such is a non trivial performance consideration. The point still carries on: if you do not trust your moderators to behave appropriately, don't make them moderators.

Suki

I made a mod to add a new permission, only users who have that permission can moderate admins messages/topics, including editing: https://github.com/MissAllSunday/moderateAdmin

It hasn't been tested well enough so it probably has some issues
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Arantor

That looks nice, and I like the way you're handling the getting-who-is-an-admin without really screwing up performance, though that still raises the question of people who have the admin_forum permission who aren't group 1 users, which isn't handled here.

Suki

Yep, I didn't find a nice way to support custom admin groups.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Arantor

Load Subs-Members.php and run membersAllowedTo('admin_forum') which will get you all the people (including real admins) with that permission.

Suki

Advertisement: