• Welcome to Simple Machines Community Forum. Please login or sign up.
October 17, 2021, 11:41:19 PM

News:

Follow SMF on Twitter.


November Update

Started by Arantor, November 04, 2013, 06:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

Then please do so, we'll be happy to review it as a contribution.
No good deed goes unpunished
All helpful urges should be circumvented

Ricky.

Quote from: Alex@ on November 12, 2013, 02:45:56 PM
I can make a proper mobile theme in a week or two.
Looking forward for it , however, there are also attempts to make responsive theme , that can also serve our purpose to certain extent as now a days  you know that  tablet may have better resolution than your laptop .

Kindred

exactly.

2.1 is on Github!

If you make a mobile theme and it meets the coding criteria, we'd be happy to have it available for 2.1 (maybe even distributed with it)
Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

lurkalot

Looking really good guys, well done.  Not sure about the profile link at the top of the page, but I'll get used to it. :)

By the way, there's a icon missing Themes/default/images/icons/stats_info_hd.png  ;)

Arantor

The profile link at the top? You're keeping on top of things because I only changed that last night!

A WIP screenshot from last night - that's since been tweaked, note - is attached.
No good deed goes unpunished
All helpful urges should be circumvented

lurkalot

Quote from: Arantor on November 12, 2013, 04:28:05 PM
The profile link at the top? You're keeping on top of things because I only changed that last night!

A WIP screenshot from last night - that's since been tweaked, note - is attached.

I sure am, got to see what you're up to you know. ;)  Icon missing from Profile > Show Stats.  stats_info_hd.png

Arantor

Yeah, I did see that, haven't yet found the appropriate larger image for it yet, thanks for the heads-up :)
No good deed goes unpunished
All helpful urges should be circumvented

Kindred

need to grab  a new copy for the test site....   Did Oldies fix the upgrade issue with the profile?
Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

I think he's fixed it locally, not sure he's committed the updated version but I know he's making changes in the upgrader, just as I have recently (for the changes in permissions around profiles)
No good deed goes unpunished
All helpful urges should be circumvented

Akyhne

Quote from: Ricky. on November 12, 2013, 02:50:45 PM
Quote from: Alex@ on November 12, 2013, 02:45:56 PM
I can make a proper mobile theme in a week or two.
Looking forward for it , however, there are also attempts to make responsive theme , that can also serve our purpose to certain extent as now a days  you know that  tablet may have better resolution than your laptop .
You mean adding mobile support to the Default theme?

Arantor

Yup. You said you could do it in a week or two, we'd love to see it.
No good deed goes unpunished
All helpful urges should be circumvented

Akyhne

Wouldn't it clutter up to much the Default theme, instead of making a separate theme?

Arantor

Well, you're the theme expert, right? You tell us how it should be ;)
No good deed goes unpunished
All helpful urges should be circumvented

Gargoyle

Make a separate responsive theme for mobile. That way when mobile is detected that theme could be loaded.

Just a suggestion... I'd also suggest using the jquery mobile set up. Seems to streamline a LOT of things for mobile devices.

Once again only suggestions.. I look forward to seeing your work!

Arantor

The thing about responsive is that by definition it isn't a separate theme. The whole point is that you create a single theme that is adaptable to different sizes, which isn't really feasible for all the different kinds of content we have and the different presentations of that content.

A dedicated mobile theme on the other hand is a different story (especially given how much has to be recreated for them, doubly so if you want to cover moderation or admin; note neither of these is properly supported even in the old WAP/iMode/WAP2 for this very reason), but even the current options for this have issues (other than being paid-for)
No good deed goes unpunished
All helpful urges should be circumvented

JBlaze

If you want to see how a proper responsive framework is done, check out Twitter Bootstrap.
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

maxg

The real trick will be.... "the Portal and Mods, they will not be in any theme, so unless your gonna go with the Forum only, you will need to find a way around the other stuff, this is in my opinion why it points less at this point of working on this into a theme! Now forks on the other hand are a different thing! I think it good to wish and think , but I also feel it's best to keep on moving like Arantor and some other wish to.

If I set my theme to 80 or 90 percent and no portal mod it shows in most mobile devices, the only issue maybe the menu and I'm working on one these, but not in a rush. Rather than getting into big changes, that set back the lease as mentioned above I rather see what here get or be rightly done :) We are not working with WP or a Blog, that just goes on to an endless scroll... It's a forum!

regards,
Maxx

maxg

Quote from: maxg on November 12, 2013, 07:44:28 PM
The real trick will be.... "the Portal and Mods, they will not be in any theme, so unless your gonna go with the Forum only, you will need to find a way around the other stuff, this is in my opinion why it points less at this point of working on this into a theme! Now forks on the other hand are a different thing! I think it good to wish and think , but I also feel it's best to keep on moving like Arantor and some other wish to.

If I set my theme to 80 or 90 percent and no portal mod it shows in most mobile devices, the only issue maybe the menu and I'm working on one these, but not in a rush. Rather than getting into big changes, that set back the lease as mentioned above I rather see what here get or be rightly done :) We are not working with WP or a Blog, that just goes on to an endless scroll... It's a forum!

regards,
Maxx

Yes:) I have done at least 40 HTML5 and WP (CMS) responsive themes just playing around and am aware of how they work, but this not the same thing by any means... and I and some other are working on responsive stuff for SMF on our own, but as above mentioned the portal.??

regards,
Maxx

SoLoGHoST

Ok, well trying to install SMF 2.1 and getting "Settings_bak.php" file could not be found error.  What is the deal with this file anyways?  This just doesn't make any sense.  Also, why does it want to connect to my ftp now?  This was never a part of the installer before, so how come it is now?  Strange!

Arantor

Well... it's a backup of the main Settings.php file. It's been a part of SMF for the last decade, and the installer should be able to handle it just fine... like it always has.

Both the Settings and its backup are in the other/ directory.
No good deed goes unpunished
All helpful urges should be circumvented

Advertisement: