Some of the icons on my forum are showing placeholders

Started by S Mac, November 05, 2013, 05:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S Mac

yes, that's a shame. Good idea though. I'll take a look-see. Thanks :)

S Mac

This is still happening. Certain icons are showing placeholders, such as the online icon in my profile and Insert URL when posting. I've cleared the caches as suggested. Any other ideas?

Oldiesmann

No idea unfortunately.

The url image (images/bbc/url.gif in the theme's directory) works fine for me.
The "online" image (images/useron.gif) doesn't - I get a message in Firefox telling me that it can't be displayed because it contains errors.

When an image isn't displaying, right-click on it and choose the option to view it. Are you able to view it then, or does it still not work?
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

kat

Just a hunch... If the image was uploaded with Filezilla, with the "Transfer type" seto to "auto", it could be that the image is corrupt. I've known that to happen, myself. It's not supposed to break images with exention names, like that. But, it's sure happened, to me. Others, too. (Unusual for avatars to be upped, using that, though. But, I thought it worth mentioning, just in case).

If you set that "Transfer type" to "binary" and replace the image, with the one from the theme's archive, it may sort that out. :)

S Mac

No, I can't see the image if I right-click on it. but I think K@ might be on to something. Never knew what that binary thing meant in Filezilla, so I just left it. Think I'll give that a go. Thanks :)

kat

Lemme know how it goes, willya? If something's still screwy, can you give us a link to a page, where one of these duff images is? (It'll need to be open to guest-viewing, obviously).

S Mac

Just on it. Think you've hit the nail on the head. The images looked screwy when I looked at the files. Just about to upload them now, wish me luck. So do I always use the 'binary' setting when backing up my forum then? And one more question, while I'm fiddling with this. I've found some lovely icons to use on my forum - buttons for the index. I really want to add & upload them while I'm doing this. Do I just copy the image & replace it, then upload it using FTP?

kat

S Mac

Hmmm, this is weird. I've managed to swap the icons on my forum index for some lovely new ones courtesy of iconfinder.com. But the ones for insert email & online are still warped. I'm pretty sure it's something to do with what you said before about the binary thing, because they looked funny in my local folder, so I copied them from an old one and re-uploaded, but it hasn't done the trick. Unfortunately it's useless giving you a link, because it's in the profile section and posts, so you'd have to be a member to view it.

kat

Urgh. Without seeing it, we're kinda hamstrung.

Test account?

S Mac

OK, I've got an account you can use to view it. Do I give you details here or can I DM it? Don't suppose anyone can do any harm, it's just a guest account...

kat

Yeah, bung it here. That way, any of the support people can take a look. :)

S Mac

kat

No link to a page where this is obvious?

* K@ goes for a look around, to see if he can see summat, anyway.

kat

Right. Your "Online" thingy is definitely there. It's showing, just fine, for me.

The account you've set up hasn't got permissions to post new messages, or reply to existing ones.

So, I can't check the URL icon.

However, I kinda casually browsed around the forum and I can't see any placeholders, or anything weird, at all (Apart from needing sunglasses) ;)

S Mac

Well I guess it's me then...don't know what's going on there. Never mind, if it ain't broke & all that. Maybe it's my shoddy old computer. And I'll ignore the bit about the sunglasses. I've already toned it down!!! Thanks though. ;)

kat

I can only think that it must be your browser. Cache, or something.

If you use a different one, how's everything look, then?

S Mac

Tried it in a different browser & things are still missing but others are there that weren't before. *shrugs* Guess there's bigger stuff to worry about. Thanks for your help. :)

Advertisement: