Which bridge do I download?

Started by garyeqm, September 29, 2005, 06:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xenovanis

What happens if you unpublish the module "SMF RecentTopics"?

Go to your Mambo backend -> Components -> SMF Forum and check if the path defined there is correct (it should be the same as the one you find in SMF Admin -> Edit Server Settings). Even if it looks correct, make sure to save it at least once.

Are you by any change using different databases?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

garyeqm

Uninstalling that mod does nothing really.

The path is the same.

All are on the same database.

I cant REALLY go about uninstalling the modules, the WHOLE reason I chose SMF over simpleboards is for the modules that I wanted on the main page, so they need to stay!

Cheers

Gary

xenovanis

Okay, we're just testing some causes here, all right? Don't panic.  :) There is a problem with pure SSI modules publishing on the forumpage. What happens if you also unpublish this module?

mod_smf_topTopicsReplies

Basicly, you can publish these modules on any page, except the forumpage. There are also modules who use the entire SSI code, like the SMF online2 module, the recent events module and the login module, recent posts module..
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

garyeqm

So what? I now need to unpublish all the modules?

xenovanis

Apart from these:

SMF online2 module, recent events module and the login module, recent posts module

yes, at least on the forumpage. Also, how did you make the forum link in your menu?

garyeqm

Ive unpublished all the SMF modules and the page now displays ok, BUT i need these modules! However I ONLY need them on the front page (I will bring them into the main content area!)

Gary

Kindred

Here's the deal...   any module that calls an SSI function directly (from smf/SSI.php) will cause the forum to fail, if said module is visible while the forum is also visible.

Modules like Whosonline2, smf_login, events and recentPosts are re-stated in the module itself and are not calling SSI, which prevents the overlap-errors...

(however, it looks like you have some other errors, because when I click on forum at your site, it reloads the page about 10 times and eventually comes up blank in the content section)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

garyeqm

It works ok for me - http://www.jugglenet.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=30

So let me get this straight, Im ok to publish the modules on the MAIN PAGE? that's ALL I want, I don't need them on any other pages!!!

Gary

xenovanis

Yes, you can publish them on the mainsite, that shouldn't cause any problems.

garyeqm

ok, would you mind just taking a quick look at my forum? Ive done nothing to it since installation, so it should be working properly!

Gary

xenovanis

garyeqm

Thanks a lot.

I'm now getting database errors in my Mambo admin panel though!

Honestly, adding SMF is like catching measles when you already have a cought and a cold!

Thanks a lot for your help guys, despite the apparent victory, I feel defeated!

Gary

xenovanis

garyeqm

I log in the admin panel and see

Fatal error: session_start(): Failed to initialize storage module: user (path: /tmp) in /home/jugglenet/domains/jugglenet.com/public_html/administrator/index2.php on line 34

If you want admin access let me know!

xenovanis

This is not a SMF problem, but a problem with Mambo or PHP. Try the solution as suggested here:

http://forum.mamboserver.com/showthread.php?goto=lastpost&t=38856

garyeqm

Thanks a lot.

I remember this happening before, for some reason i have to rename htaccess.txt to .htaccess.

NEXT problem!

Whenever I publish any of the SMF modules on the main page only it throws the layout out of whack!

http://www.jugglenet.com/   -  see for example!

let me know if you want admin access so you can end my nightmare!!  :D

Gary

Kindred

yup...   the recent posts module uses a table to layout the contents...   you may have to 1) reduce the number of fields displayed in the recent posts module display and/or 2) modify the module to properly wrap within the severly limited sidebar that you have...

Why not so what I do...   Have the recentl posts module show in the "bottom" section...   in the main section of the page, below the "main" content.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

garyeqm

Kindred,

Well thats what I intend to do. I was 90% of my modules to be displayed on the main page ONLY, in the main content area, forming a dynamic, constantly changing front page!

I have no idea to do it though, ive been told to search for 'mospositions'

Gary

garyeqm

Anyone know how to use 'mosposition' ????

Im searching and cant find any info on any forums!

Gary

Kindred

gary... 

I don't know about your mambo template... but many of them have something like the following lines...

<?php mosLoadModules ( 'left' ); ?>
<?php mosLoadModules ( 'user1' ); ?>

or something like this:

<!-- RIGHT Modules -->
    <?php
      if (mosCountModules('right')>0) {
        ?>

<td width="180" valign="top">
          <?php mosLoadModules "right" ); ?>
        </td>
        <?php
      }
    ?>

what you want to do for the top or bottom modules is something like this...

find

<?php mosMainBody(); ?>

and replace with:

<?php mosLoadModules "top" ); ?>
      <?php mosMainBody(); ?>
          <?php mosLoadModules "bottom" ); ?>

that's the simple way...  you could also add IF statements to check if anything was in those module locations... but since there are no extra tables or cells, it really doesn't matter here...
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: