News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Admin Panel css

Started by ThomasA, November 11, 2013, 01:53:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThomasA

I have one strange (wierd  :o ) problem. On my 2.0.2 heavily modded forum when I install certain mods (Topic author or Fake online and Guests) everything works great, but my Admin panel goes wild, all my letters are twice in size. I have one test forum, with almost same mods, and that doesn't happen' there. So can anyone point in right direction to look for the problem.

Colin

Would you please attach good admin.css file.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Arantor

* Arantor is willing to bet it is nothing to do with the CSS file at all but something being messed up by one of those mods adding characters it is not supposed to.

ThomasA

ThomasA

Quote from: Arantor on November 11, 2013, 02:09:42 PM
* Arantor is willing to bet it is nothing to do with the CSS file at all but something being messed up by one of those mods adding characters it is not supposed to.

Hmmm do you need the mods if it helps, I've tried to check them and they look good to me.

Illori

if you use firefox install the web developer addon and have it validate your local html that will tell more then anything.

ThomasA

OK, this is the most wierd thing now, in Firefox everything looks normal, only in Chrome the Admin css goes wild.

Shambles

But didn't you already figure out that it was the Topic Author mod?

Quote from: ThomasA on October 28, 2013, 02:39:00 PM
When I turn this mod ON everything works great, but my AdminPanel goes wild with BIG font, everything in my control is just too big, and when I uncheck and deactivate this mod, everything goes back. It not in just one theme it's in all of them.

Kindred

Also, you REALLY REALLY need to upgrade to 2.0.6
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

ThomasA

Quote from: Shambles on November 11, 2013, 02:26:56 PM
But didn't you already figure out that it was the Topic Author mod?

Yes, I did, but I was wondering if anyone knows why is this happening? I was OK with just one mod messing my forum up, but now it's happening with two mods. What am I doing wrong, or is my forum just reached breaking point  :-[

ThomasA

EUREKA:::  O:)  After few days of brainstorming what went wrong, simple "dot" was actually A MAJOR PROBLEM... For anyone that will encounter the same problem, the solution was in the language file.

In FakeGuests Mod in language file was a line

$txt['fguo_members_enable'] = 'Enable Fake Membernames in online memberlist.';

Notice the DOT at the end, when I removed it ... voila, everything works great

Now it looks like this:

$txt['fguo_members_enable'] = 'Enable Fake Membernames in online memberlist';

EDIT: And with the Topic Author mod it was also in the language file:

$txt['TopicAuthor_color_desc'] = 'Leave empty to use default color: #008000';

Should be:

$txt['TopicAuthor_color_desc'] = 'Leave empty to use default color #008000';

Arantor

There is absolutely no reason why that should be the case. It's almost certain that the reason is totally accidental and that putting the . back will not break it again.

More interesting would be how you edited the file exactly.

ThomasA

I've actually after many research went with the simple deductive method, turning off one function at the time, and then when I've found THE ONE, went line by line to see the problem. And believe, when I put back the "dot" it breaks again...  :o

Arantor

So are you putting the dot back by using the old file or putting it back by re-editing it? If so, I ask again: how are you editing the file exactly?

ThomasA

Quote from: Arantor on November 13, 2013, 01:38:03 PM
So are you putting the dot back by using the old file or putting it back by re-editing it? If so, I ask again: how are you editing the file exactly?

Via FTP client. Had the original file stored on my HDD, then edited one on the server, saved, refreshed the page...and when it is not the one, restored the original one, and started all over again. I was very stubborn  ;D . And now when I return the "original" one with the dot, it all is messed up, but when I erase the dot via FTP, and put it again and then store... IT works. OMG  :o. And the wierdest thing is that I have another forum that work without any changes... I think that something is broken in my main forum  :(

Kindred

it actually sounds like the file that you backed up - the one which was originally on your server when it was having problems - was corrupt, probably by some edits made iwth a bad editor.

By uploading a freshly saved file form a good editor, you fixed the problem
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

ThomasA

The ones I was replacing with were actually right out of zip file...unchanged... And when I've changed them with notepad++ at the end and uploaded it all worked like a charm....

Arantor

So the mod's file is damaged and the way you load/save it changes it - and exactly as predicted it's nothing to do with the . in that line, but the file's encoding which N++ is altering on your behalf for you.

Advertisement: