Make it so newbies can't add signatures until 5 posts/replies have been written?

Started by signupmoney, November 20, 2013, 11:07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

signupmoney

I know this has been asked before and probably a stupid question, but, I was reading this post: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=349638.40 on it, but no resolved answered found.

I was just wondering, with all the functionality of SMF, there has to be a way to stop signatures for member groups with 5 posts or less.

I attempted, but was unsuccessful in editing member groups, no signature option available either to stop signatures of new members.

I mean I know it is an easy fix or add on option right, if (member post <= 5) "no signatures", I know it ain't that easy, but.....

I searched mods as well, and nothing.

Can anybody help me out. I just don't want new members to be able to do signature without proving they are legit and not bots.

I don't want to edit source files either because there has to be a solution to this by now.
Proud of both SMF forums: SignUpandMakeMoney [nofollow] & JazzTrumpetLicks [nofollow] installed and using. Very impressive coding, love it!!!

signupmoney

I also want to add that I recently upgraded from 1.x to 2.x and it has been a great experience. Followed all the instructions and upgraded successfully.

I now resumed posting and haven't been spammed at all in SMF 2.0.

So I kind of realize why the initial post isn't really necessary, but still would love the option to be added if not already for an extra layer of security I suppose.

What do you think?
Proud of both SMF forums: SignUpandMakeMoney [nofollow] & JazzTrumpetLicks [nofollow] installed and using. Very impressive coding, love it!!!

Arantor

There is no really good way to do it in 2.0 without code changes, though you can mitigate it by denying the 'additional profile information' permission to users in the bottom most post count group (but it's still a faff however you do it), though in 2.1 we changed it to be its own permission.

It's not really a security matter as we find here all the time (since we do this here to limit signatures to 10 posts+) and we find that account just end up posting spam to try and get up to 10 posts, or thinly disguised 'not quite spam' posts that could be legit but isn't in hindsight.

signupmoney

Let me also correct being spammed at all.

Though no spam posts have been added since the recent upgrade, I would like to inform SMF that many new automated sign ups have been occurring, but a majority of them are not confirming their email address, but still showing up as new members.

I'm getting about 100 a day at the minimum.

I know these are not real people, so is their a way to edit stats so that members that have not verified their account by confirming they own the email address do not show up in my stats?

If their is not a way to do so, how can I stop these crazy spam bots? I know it's bots, but man, it's seriously non stop, never stops.

I'm either really popular or there is a simple script that is constantly getting past the system??

signupmoney

Thanks Arantor, I will look into that, but 2.1 what is that? Yet another version?

Will look in to that?>

Arantor

SMF 2.1 is the currently in-development version (you've moved from 1.1 to 2.0... the next logical version is 2.1, no?)

signupmoney

Right, that sounds good to me, but there isn't any known solution in 2.0 for stopping signatures for new members in SMF?

Arantor

Funny, I could have sworn I told you the only way to do it in 2.0 at present by removing permission for the page signatures are on from the post count group that is under 5 posts just like we do here (as this site is still a 2.0 site)

margarett

There is a MOD for this, though...
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3237

As for your spamming problems, have a look at: http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Spam_-_my_forum_is_flooded_with_spam,_what_can_I_do
There are lots of people with 0 or really close to 0 spam registrations in *months*
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Arantor

Which still requires configuring permissions in almost exactly the same way as doing it without a mod. It's just the difference between hiding one thing and hiding the entire page it's on.

margarett

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

signupmoney

Thanks for the security links Margarett!

Already blocking some spammers.

I still can't figure out the permissions thing.

I see the membergroups by post, but when I click on them, there is no option on signatures.

I see the option on signatures in member permissions, but how do I link both together.

Do I need to make a new permissions group?

margarett

No.

If you didn't install the mod I mentioned there is no permission for signatures. Only for 'additional profile information'.
In either case, you need to activate permissions for post count groups and deny permissions also.
Then, you should have
- a post count group with 0messages
- a post count group with 5 messages

In the permissions for the 0 messages group you put ALL permissions on the "X" option EXCEPT the permission for signature or 'additional profile information' which you should set do "Deny"

signupmoney

Yes I installed the permissions mod you recommended Margarett.

I think I figured it out, does this process sound right to you?

In Membergroups I made a private new group called New Member that inherited the regular member permissions
Then went to permissions and took off signature & website for that group
Then made a new group in membergoups based on post count of 5 and gave it New Member permissions

There are 0 members in it, but I can add current members with less than 5 posts into it.

Does this sound right?

Arantor

No... you turn on post count permissions and then apply permissions to the 0 post count groups the 5+ post count groups.

signupmoney

Thanks for the quick reply Arantor.

I can't find where I can turn on post count permissions.

Is it in the permission area, cause I don't see it?

signupmoney

signupmoney

WOW!!

That was easy.

Thanks for your help Arantor & Margarett!!

I feel like a moron because I couldn't find that setting.

Now I got new user with less than 5 posts not able to do signature by giving them the new member permissions I copied from regular members and took sigs off.

All others with 5 or more post can inherited regular member permissions.

Sweeeeet!!!!  ;D

signupmoney

Now that new members cannot do signatures I still have a ton of signatures from 1.x.

Do you guys have a tip or mod on how to hide signatures of old members that have less than 5 posts?

margarett

Well, yes, but you need to directly edit the database...
What's the ID of the post count group for 0-5 posts?

Advertisement: