News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

[WIP] SM Diagnostics

Started by JBlaze, November 20, 2013, 11:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBlaze

Since getting back into SMF after being spoiled by another forum software that will remain nameless for the sake of this post, I noticed one major feature that was missing. That is a diagnostics page. A page where you can get a quick glimpse of your software and server's current health status, and also provide basic information if and when needed for support queries.

Since I've had some free time on my hands lately, I decided to get to work on creating such a feature. I bring you SM Diagnostics. It's still a ways away from being 100% complete, but I'd rather get the word out now and have others look it over while it's still in development, rather than hoping everything is kosher when I push the first release.

One great feature of this modification is that there are no file edits. That's right, you don't have to worry about this modification having to be reinstalled when upgrading, or having conflicts with other mods. Everything is done via integration functions.

That said, there are still a few features missing, but the features that are included in the repository DO work as expected... so far. The current features that are working are:

- System Overview A brief overview of your system health.
    - PHP Info All information returned from the phpinfo() function from the comfort of your dashboard.
    - File Whitespace Check Checks all files for extra whitespace, and can remove whitespace if desired.

Features that are in the works include:

- File Permissions Check Gives the status of all files and makes recommendations on permissions to increase the
       security of your file system.
    - Connection Check Checks to see if your server can make remote connections.
    - Email Tester Sends a test email from your server to make sure everything works correctly.
    - Database Health Checks your database for any issues that may need attention.
    - Database Index Check Checks all database indexes for any issues.
    - SQL Toolbox Allows you to perform limited SQL queries on your database.
    - Download Report Downloads a text or html file that includes all necessary information about your installation. This
       can help aid in support requests by providing this info as soon as possible.

The database features will take a bit longer than the others due to having to re-learn my SQLite and PostgreSQL...

I will be (hopefully) pushing new commits at least once daily for the foreseeable future, so hopefully I will be able to get this project to a RC or even Final state fairly quickly. I will be developing this with 2.0 and 2.1 in mind, and maybe even 3.0 as it progresses along.

Everything you need to know is located in the README.md file. I don't have any screenshots as of yet.

Please, feel free to install it to your test forums, or dare I say production forums if you have know-how to fix things should they go awry. Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

PLEASE NOTE: It is currently restricted to PHP 5.0+ due to some functions being used that are not available for lower versions. This will change as I get around to writing fallback functions for lower versions of PHP.
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Ricky.

Looks promising.

You may also use some tools from "Forum Maintenance" area. May also include some testing for Package manager functionality.

JBlaze

Quote from: Ricky. on November 21, 2013, 01:45:57 AM
Looks promising.

You may also use some tools from "Forum Maintenance" area. May also include some testing for Package manager functionality.

I've thought about it, especially taking the database functions from the maintenance area and expanding on them. As for the Package Manager, I still haven't decided on anything. It's already go pretty much everything it needs to debug certain problems.
Jason Clemons

JBlaze

Updated with new information as I have begun working on this again.
Jason Clemons

Bigguy

I gotta watch this post. Looks good. ;)

4Kstore

All this looks so nice!! thanks for your work.

¡¡NEW MOD: Sparkles User Names!!!

Advertisement: