Newly installed forum v2.0.6 getting 406 not acceptable creating new category

Started by Dbocooksr, November 27, 2013, 12:08:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deprecated

Well I'll check it out and see if I can add a category when I have full access to my new admin spot. Currently the site owner is having problems dealing with GoDaddy's Cpanel and adding my access.

Kindred

the category problem *IS* the mod_security issue with GoDaddy.

We did not send them any patch because they have never contacted us to tell us what the actual problem is.

Whoever you are talking to at GoDaddy is full of ........
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

bitcoinuk

Just got a email from them saying eveything should work now they have turned it off

Deprecated

Quote from: Kindred on January 22, 2014, 12:16:27 AM
Whoever you are talking to at GoDaddy is full of ........
GoDaddy has a long reputation of being full of ........

ramdy

Hello, I am having same problem with Godaddy. I can't create forum categories.
So I am wondering if it would be a way to create few categories "manually"?

Thanks in advance.

Kindred

no, there is not.

You need to get GoDaddy to turn OFF mod_security.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

ramdy

Thank you for the info Kindred.

Just to update status, I got answer from godaddy:

QuoteYou were absolutely correct - brand new installations of Simple Machines Forums using the cPanel/Installatron system were triggering mod_security after attempting to create new categories on the page. We escalated this immediately to our development team, who has corrected the issue. You are now able to get to the Create Category page. We appreciate your understanding in this matter, and are glad we could work together with you to reach a resolution. Please contact us if you have any further issues or questions. Regards
8)

truspec2012

*** MOD_SEC*** has a small portion dealing with this but is an easy fix

Okay so I may be late on doing this, but currently the problem still exists on GoDaddy Shared hosting servers on SMF 2.0.7. I have been fighting this problem for several hours. Currently I have found a fix for the problem.

Fix method 1, look at your url and modify it by removing everything after newcat   (;randomstring)   This will allow you to create new categories each time, but is annoying because you have to do this each time you want to create one.

Now This has only been tested for an hour on a non live server. In the process of still creating it in order to launch. But so far I have found this to work.

Go here and download this file http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/?mod=636   (PrettyURL's) and follow each step I am about to explain.

You will run into 1 error unless your site is completely trashed "Which in this case, leave it to coders to fix it"

>>> The error you will run into is simple to fix, it should list as modifying a function in the News.php file located in the source folder.
Edit function fix_possible_url @ line 368.  If it is left untouched before you do this, comment out lines 377-380 "Editing in NetBeans"

If I can add it next, Your code should look something like this.

function fix_possible_url($val)
{
global $modSettings, $context, $scripturl;

if (substr($val, 0, strlen($scripturl)) != $scripturl)
return $val;

call_integration_hook('integrate_fix_url', array(&$val));

/***if (empty($modSettings['queryless_urls']) || ($context['server']['is_cgi'] && @ini_get('cgi.fix_pathinfo') == 0 && @get_cfg_var('cgi.fix_pathinfo') == 0) || (!$context['server']['is_apache'] && !$context['server']['is_lighttpd']))
return $val;

$val = preg_replace_callback('~^' . preg_quote($scripturl, '/') . '\?((?:board|topic)=[^#"]+)(#[^"]*)?$~', create_function('$m', 'global $scripturl; return $scripturl . \'/\' . strtr("$m[1]", \'&;=\', \'//,\') . \'.html\' . (isset($m[2]) ? $m[2] : "");'), $val);***/
return $val;
}

truspec2012

Okay, one other thing that needs to be added to my other post. Make sure you have activated ReWrite URL's inside of the Pretty mods settings. This is the only way it will work.

FYI, if you do not modify the news.php file. The functions will not work and you will still end up with the same problem.

Kindred

unless, of course, you don't use the silly pretty urls mod -- which can have issues with some other mods.

it would be **MUCH** better if GoDaddy would just TALK to us so we can figure out what "rules" is being triggered and we can work with them to update it for real

Слaва
Украинi

Deprecated

Just FYI, I'm running a forum on Go Daddy just recently updated 2.0.6 -> 2.0.7 and not experiencing this problem.

So whatever the problem is, it is NOT affecting all 2.0.7 forums running on Go Daddy.

calleyc

Installed 2.0.7 using godaddy c-panel web app install. I got the same 406 error... this was only when trying to create categories.  Godaddy working now to disable those mod_sec rules for me. 

FYI- Temp work around listed in previous post works for me in the meantime... (when you get 406 error, remove everything in the URL after newcat) - it takes me to the page where I can create my categories.

Deprecated

Why would you want to use your host's c-panel web app install? That just adds one more obfuscating chance to smuck things up.

IMO the best way to install SMF is to clear an entirely empty directory and then upload all the SMF files. Access it and it should take you to the configuration utility.

I hate anything provided by shared hosting services. I install my own apps, I install my own phpMyAdmin. When I get into trouble I call the guy I see in the mirror when I shave each morning.

Host support sucks. You are better off working around them.

bitcoinuk

Any new news on this problem ? last time having Godaddy turn off Mod_secruity worked and my forum was fully functional.

I've built a new forum on same server and suffering this issue again, After numerous call to Godaddy they now say my mod_security is turned off for this site and there is no logs of anything showing why there is a error.

The problem is that i can not open or view boards to make a post, everything else seems to work like i can create categories which i could not last time. But if i click a category there it fails too.

RickM

Quote from: calleyc on March 05, 2014, 05:06:48 PM
Installed 2.0.7 using godaddy c-panel web app install. I got the same 406 error... this was only when trying to create categories.  Godaddy working now to disable those mod_sec rules for me. 

FYI- Temp work around listed in previous post works for me in the meantime... (when you get 406 error, remove everything in the URL after newcat) - it takes me to the page where I can create my categories.

Thank YOU!!

The 406 error was driving me crazy in a new install. Your workaround worked for me.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

72 454

Add this to your .htaccess file (in the root of your forum directory):

<IfModule mod_security.c>
SecRuleEngine Off
SecFilterInheritance Off
SecFilterEngine Off
SecFilterScanPOST Off
SecRuleRemoveById 300015 3000016 3000017
</IfModule>

SMF 2.0.11

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

72 454

SMF 2.0.11

Advertisement: