News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Inconsistent Email Notifications

Started by colby2152, December 05, 2013, 04:26:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colby2152

Over the past several months, my users have reported that they only receive a partial amount of notification emails for new posts (ones they subscribe to).  Which areas should I investigate in SMF settings or my server to see how this problem can be appropriately addressed?
ProFSL.com - Pro Fantasy Sports Leagues - Advanced fantasy sports leagues, contests, free chances at cash/prizes, and sports discussion.

Need a server? I am happy to advocate this hosting solution - hands on customer service and reliability is relieving!!!

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

colby2152

ProFSL.com - Pro Fantasy Sports Leagues - Advanced fantasy sports leagues, contests, free chances at cash/prizes, and sports discussion.

Need a server? I am happy to advocate this hosting solution - hands on customer service and reliability is relieving!!!

margarett

Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

colby2152

margarett

And what are the configurations? Are you sure it's not exceeding your host limits?

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

colby2152

Quote from: margarett on December 13, 2013, 07:47:31 PM
And what are the configurations? Are you sure it's not exceeding your host limits?

Limits are set to 0/0 (unlimited).  I rent out my own server, so there shouldn't be an issue with hosting limits although that may be the next place to check.

Arantor

Bit pointless using the mail queue if you're not actually using it. I'd suggest actually putting in numbers, though exactly what numbers would be down to your hosting limits.

colby2152

Here are some mail server settings on my server....

Maximum Number of Mail Processes = 512
Maximum Size of a Mail Process (MB) = 256
Maximum IMAP Connections Per IP = 20
Interval between IMAP IDLE "OK Still here" messages = 24
Maximum POP3 Connections per IP = 3
Number of Spare Authentication Processes = 2
Maximum Number of Authentication Processes = 50
Maximum Size of a Authentication Process (MB) = 64
Size of Authentication Cache (KB) = 1024
Time to Cache Successful Logins = 3600
Time to Cache Failed Logins = 3600
Idle Check Interval = 30
Trash Expire Time = 30

Arantor

All of those appear to be inbound, not outbound, settings...

colby2152

Quote from: Arantor Beeblebrox the First on December 13, 2013, 10:58:57 PM
All of those appear to be inbound, not outbound, settings...

How would I found outbound in cPanel?

Arantor

I have no idea, I haven't used cPanel on any real basis in years.

margarett

Maybe it's easier to ask your host about that ;)

colby2152

Quote from: margarett on December 14, 2013, 03:21:22 AM
Maybe it's easier to ask your host about that ;)

I did just that and it was some overprotective settings reducing emails to 100 per hour.  I jacked that up to 25,000.  Thanks for walking me through the troubleshooting.

Arantor

Because 25000 per hour won't see you get flagged by other hosts as an email relay or anything >_<

colby2152

Quote from: Arantor Beeblebrox the First on December 17, 2013, 04:48:02 PM
Because 25000 per hour won't see you get flagged by other hosts as an email relay or anything >_<

By other hosts?  I rent out my own server.

25,000 per hour is less than 1,000 per minute.  With a community of a couple thousand members, the combination of newsletters, topic notifications, and PM emails could actually surpass that amount.

Arantor

Email isn't some magic end to end thing, you send them out fine but they have to pass through various relays to get to their destination. 25k per hour see you flagged as a spammer by the relays and endpoints.

A community of a couple thousand members shouldn't be generating 1000 emails per minute, because that would imply that 1 out of every 2 members is making a new post every minute, where everyone is set to receive notifications.

Heck, we don't even reach 1k emails per minute here except when we do the newsletter updates to people, and we certainly don't do 1k emails per minute for that.

colby2152

Quote from: Arantor Beeblebrox the First on January 05, 2014, 02:32:57 PM
Email isn't some magic end to end thing, you send them out fine but they have to pass through various relays to get to their destination. 25k per hour see you flagged as a spammer by the relays and endpoints.

A community of a couple thousand members shouldn't be generating 1000 emails per minute, because that would imply that 1 out of every 2 members is making a new post every minute, where everyone is set to receive notifications.

Heck, we don't even reach 1k emails per minute here except when we do the newsletter updates to people, and we certainly don't do 1k emails per minute for that.

To your second point, it would mean 60 posts per hour which is hardly that much.

Arantor

Where did I say 1 per minute exactly? Nowhere have I said 1 per minute.

Advertisement: