News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Gifs freeze after upload?

Started by workinonstuff, December 10, 2013, 01:17:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

workinonstuff

Hey folks i have a slight problem that maybe you can help me out with.

After uploading certain gif images they freeze when tried to playback on my forum. Its an intermittent occurrence that i cannot duplicate on command. I have disabled "Re-encode potentially dangerous image attachments" (i understand the risk) but after it is disabled i cannot post ANY image...the gif is clean and not a virus lol.

Does any one know a fix for this or something i am doing wrong?

Kindred

The issue that you are having is that
1- you upload animated gifs
2- your system resizes them

this will *ALWAYS* "freeze" the animation since the resizer can not resize every frame, it just does one frame and saves that.

The only way to stop this is to
1- do not allow users to upload their own avatars (if they store the avatar on an extrernal site, ti will use the image, as-is)
2- do not set your system to download and resize avatars which are too big
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

workinonstuff

Thanks for the fast help and reply! The gifs in question are not avatar images just attachments. I would rather not disable "resize attachment under post"....any other fix that im not aware of?

Kindred

nope...

anything that causes the image to be resized will "freeze" the animation.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

The attachment under a post is not the full size version, it only creates a smaller version (which won't be animated for the same reason as above), and when you click on it, the full size animated version should be there.

workinonstuff

Ty kindred

@arantor that is how MOST of them work...some freeze...resizing issue i guess?

kat

Why not upload the images to somewhere like Photobucket and use the IMG tags?

Thus:

workinonstuff

Very true k@. That seems like a very straight forward/space saving solution. I just didn't want to make an extra step (albeit a small one) for users :D

Kindred

I think there is a mod which may handle that, actually...

yup.
they removed it from the mod site... but
http://www.smfpersonal.net/downloads.html;sa=view;down=228
Слaва
Украинi

kat

Quote from: workinonstuff on December 10, 2013, 02:04:33 PM
Very true k@. That seems like a very straight forward/space saving solution. I just didn't want to make an extra step (albeit a small one) for users :D

Lazy buggers. ;)

Copy/paste a link into image tags? How hard is that?

workinonstuff

:laugh:   for some...IMPOSSIBLE! lol :P

kat

I don't even bother with clicking the icons, now. I just type the tags in, coz I find it quicker.

workinonstuff

Advertisement: