Is "one-to-many" possible?

Started by RogerJP, December 13, 2013, 12:26:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RogerJP

I am hoping to set up a new forum system which will allow any registered user to start off a discussion but that, once s/he starts it, *only* the initiator and the support team (superuser group of some sort) can see and reply, ie, other registerted non super-users are unaware of the thread), until such times as one of the superuser group decides that the topic has been done to death, whereupon the superuser will lock the thread and move it to an area visible to all.

I would have thought this a fairly common requirement, but cannot so far see a way to do it.

Thanks in anticipation.

margarett

SimpleDesk should be able to do most of that for you. I'm just not sure of the final "move to public area" part.
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Kindred

yes. SimpleDesk does have a "move this to the forum" option.

As a matter of fact, what the OP has described here is EXACTLY what SimpleDesk was designed to do...
(and to the OP... no, it's not a "common" request, because what you are asking for is not a forum, but a ticketing system - until the end, when you make it public)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

RogerJP

Thanks to you both - and apologies for not being aware of what you have kindly referred me to - and for my not appreciating the difference between forum and ticketing system.

Brilliant - I'll install thart when I get home and have a play.

Thanks again.

RogerJP

ok - I installed it (or at least I think I did), but I must've missed one vital step.

I put a vanilla installation of SMF on (in a new directory), which installed fine.  In said vanilla installation, I went to SMF Admin, Package Manager, Download Packages.  In the "Download by URL", entered the path to http://www.simpledesk.net/download/files/2.0/simpledesk-2.0-anatidae.zip?key=16 [nofollow] and clicked Download.  T'was successful - with the message
QuoteThe package has been uploaded successfully
SimpleDesk - Integrated Helpdesk for Simple Machines Forum

So I clicked "Install Mod".  Read the licence, ticked both "Core Theme" and "Extract Tree" - then clicked "Install Now".  It went away and then, briefly, congratulated me on a successful installation.
The package was installed successfully. You should now be able to use whatever functionality it adds or changes; or not be able to use functionality it removes.
whereupon it redirected me to   » Administration Center » Core Features

By clicking "Admin, Packages, Installed Packages", I can confirm that it claims that SimpleDesk - Integrated Helpdesk for Simple Machines Forum v2.0 is installed.

HOWEVER - now I am stuck!  All the examples of how to configure SimpleDesk show the row of buttons
QuoteMain, Configuration, Forum, Members, Maintenance, and SimpleDesk
.  Mine does not show SimpleDesk - stops at Maintenance.

What step did I miss, please?

NB - I posted something similar in SimpleDesk support (http://www.simpledesk.net/community/index.php?topic=1323.msg11567#msg11567 [nofollow]), but in retrospect I think here is better.

margarett

In Core Features, you need to activate SimpleDesk (Helpdesk) and click "Save". Then Helpdesk becomes a link and, inside, you can configure it ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Arantor

And that's why it redirects you to Core Features, so you can turn it on and press the save button.

I really need to do something with that for 2.1 compatibility, but while I'm at it I could probably refine a bunch of stuff in the SD code.

RogerJP

Arantor

I should note the permissions setup in SimpleDesk is a little bit tricky and not like SMF permissions because of the complexities of helpdesks in general, shout if you have any questions.

RogerJP

Quote from: Arantor Beeblebrox the First on December 13, 2013, 08:06:14 PM
I should note the permissions setup in SimpleDesk is a little bit tricky and not like SMF permissions because of the complexities of helpdesks in general, shout if you have any questions.
Will do, thanks.

RogerJP

Ok - I see the basic functionality, and I think I've worked out how to do the permissions thing (but not yet tested it!).  Before I get to do that, I'm hoping to get the look and feel along the lines I'm trying to do.  Is there any way I can turn it from computerspeak to English by renaming things?
Although the functionality I require is as you all rightly advised above a helpdesk ticketing system, I want to dress it up as questions and answers.

"Helpdesk" I want to say "Ask your question" or similar.  I can do this I believe by hiding the menu option and throwing an appropriate bit of HTML in the theme so there is a nice big button linking to  "... /index.php?action=helpdesk;sa=newticket"

On that page, ideally I'd lose the "ticket details" frame and the entry panel would look and feel the same as starting a new topic in SMF - including the string of smileys.  "Create ticket" button to say "Post my question or, simply, "post" etc.

Is this all doable from my side of the fence?  I have incidentally registered on the SimpleDesk forum, and I am guessing that strictly I should be asking there, but it seems a bit quiet in there  :o

Thanks in anticipation for your continued and most valued assistance.

RogerJP

Right - I've got my smileys and bbc codes... but still the page I want to feel as a welcoming place to ask questions is sprinkled with the words "ticket" and "helpdesk".

Chalky

Take a look at the file Themes/default/languages/SimpleDesk.english.php.  On line 332 you have:

$txt['shd_create_ticket'] = 'Create ticket';

Try changing it to:

$txt['shd_create_ticket'] = 'Post my Question';

You should be able to change all the other wording the same way, just have a play with the file but make sure you only change what's between the ' ' like I did above  :)

RogerJP

... in fact what I really really want... ;-) - is to set up a selection of "helpdesk" boards in the main forum - but that respective topics started are visible only to the panel and the respective OPs until such times as one of the panel locks them and makes them visible.

RogerJP

Quote from: ChalkCat @Christmas on December 14, 2013, 05:19:46 AM
Take a look at the file Themes/default/languages/SimpleDesk.english.php.  On line 332 you have:

$txt['shd_create_ticket'] = 'Create ticket';

Try changing it to:

$txt['shd_create_ticket'] = 'Post my Question';

You should be able to change all the other wording the same way, just have a play with the file but make sure you only change what's between the ' ' like I did above  :)

Brilliant.  Thank you.  This is coming along nicely.

Advertisement: