Content of PM emails are blank

Started by PLAYBOY, December 16, 2013, 02:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PLAYBOY

The notification emails for PM has all the content except what is written in the PM. That part is just blank in the email. But when I click no the link go to the pm, there is actually a content for that pm.

Chas Large

Quote from: PLAYBOY on December 16, 2013, 02:27:18 PM
The notification emails for PM has all the content except what is written in the PM. That part is just blank in the email. But when I click no the link go to the pm, there is actually a content for that pm.
What modifications do you have installed?
My Modifications :)  My Forum

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

PLAYBOY

So many. Do you want the entire list?
I just migrated to another server and this started happening. It wasnt happening before. I didint install or uninstall anything recently.

kat

If you've moved servers, it might well be that either mod_security is causing you a problem, or you don't have full CHOWN ownership of the files on your site.

Have a natter with your host, about those. :)

PLAYBOY

Quote from: K@ on December 16, 2013, 05:00:04 PM
If you've moved servers, it might well be that either mod_security is causing you a problem, or you don't have full CHOWN ownership of the files on your site.

Have a natter with your host, about those. :)

Can you explain more please?
What if the issue is mod_security? what do I check and how do i fix?
What is CHOWN?

If I tell my host anything about SMF or my forum, they ll say "Your script, your problem. We deal with your server only."

Storman™

QuoteWhat if the issue is mod_security? what do I check and how do i fix?

It's a question for your host to answer. Just ask them if they use it, then we can discount it if not.

PLAYBOY

so they should have it right? Cause I can just ask them to add it if they dont have it. But I dont know if we are looking for that or if we are trying to disable it.

margarett

I'm not sure this is something mod_security would cause but you can ask them to check if they have it enabled.
If they do, ask them to check if some rule in it has been triggered, or if it can be *disabled*, the opposite of what you just asked :P
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

PLAYBOY

Actually I just talked to them and they said they installed the mod_security yesterday and enabled it. I have been having this problem for a week now. so I guess this proves that mod_security is not the cause here.

Chas Large

Quote from: PLAYBOY on December 16, 2013, 04:45:51 PM
I just migrated to another server and this started happening. It wasnt happening before. I didint install or uninstall anything recently.
I asked because new mod installations can interfere with both basic SMF functionality and other mod functionality. So if you just installed a new mod and this problem arose, it's likely the new mod is the cause. However, based on your second sentence:

So we must assume that nothing in your site has changed yes? only that the site has been migrated. How was this migration achieved? Did you run Repair Settings to check and update all the paths within your settings?
My Modifications :)  My Forum

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

PLAYBOY

I ran the repair settings. Cpanel was transferred as whole with all DBs and everything but then I put an old DB later because the current one didnt work.  Now everything works except this PM email issue.

margarett

It's rather strange that it started to fail just in the new host. If your MODs worked before, they should work now, unless there is something "fishy" in your host's setup.
Can you attach your Sources/Subs-Post.php?

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

kat

The reason that I mentioned mod_security, is this...

I don't know what language your forum uses. Not, do I know what language your server uses.

It MIGHT be, that some word that's used by the files used to do personal messages is triggering it.

Let me give you two examples:

On one server, the term "Hot water" triggered it, because it contains the word "Twat", after a fashion.

On another, I couldn't use the term "Essex", where I lived, because it contained the word "Sex".

"MessageActionsApply" is totally innocuous. But, in another language, "Sapply", which is part of that, might be incredibly rude. Who knows?

It might be worth asking them to disable it, even if only temporarily, just to rule that out.

margarett

There is no difference in your "sendpm" function (the one that... sends the PM :P including notifications) to a clean 2.0.6 file. So I'm pretty sure this is not SMF-related...

From this function, the mail is sent with function "sendmail" and that's the same function used for many other emails you receive.

Out of curiosity, if you subscribe a topic, do you receive an email containing the content of the posted messsages?

Illori

maybe an issue with the pm template that sends the message?

margarett

It could be, yes.
Some debug might be necessary to echo some variables along the process.

Anyway, it is still strange that it happens only after a host change. That pretty much puts aside any problem in SMF/MODs :(

Quote from: PLAYBOY on December 16, 2013, 04:45:51 PM
Humour us, will you? ;)

PLAYBOY

Quote from: margarett on December 17, 2013, 06:53:25 AM
Out of curiosity, if you subscribe a topic, do you receive an email containing the content of the posted messsages?

It never added that content on those notification mails anyway. Maybe I havent enabled it. How can I do it?

I personally think it is something in the DB because the template is there and everthing else is in the email, but just not the content of the PM. So maybe it is not able to pull it from the DB or something.

QuoteHumour us, will you?
Voila!

.    SMFPacks Shoutbox    1.0.4    [ Modifikasyonu Yükle ] [ Dosyaları Listele ] [ Kaldır ]
2.    Google Tagged    2.0    [ Kaldır ] [ Dosyaları Listele ] [ Kaldır ]
3.    Google Analytics Code    1.4    [ Kaldır ] [ Dosyaları Listele ] [ Kaldır ]
4.    PDF Tag    1.2    [ Kaldır ] [ Dosyaları Listele ] [ Kaldır ]
5.    SMF 2.0.4 Update    1.0    [ Dosyaları Listele ] [ Kaldır ]
6.    Post History    1.02    [ Kaldır ] [ Dosyaları Listele ] [ Kaldır ]
7.    Remove XHTML, RSS & WAP2 Links in Footer    v1.1    [ Kaldır ] [ Dosyaları Listele ] [ Kaldır ]
8.    SEO Sitemap    2.2.1    [ Kaldır ] [ Dosyaları Listele ] [ Kaldır ]
9.    Tapatalk SMF 2.0 RC5/Final Plugin    3.8.0    [ Dosyaları Listele ] [ Kaldır ]
10.    ENotify    2.0.1    [ Kaldır ] [ Dosyaları Listele ] [ Kaldır ]
11.    Invitation System    1.1    [ Dosyaları Listele ] [ Kaldır ]
12.    SMF 1.1.19 / 2.0.6 Update    1.0    [ Dosyaları Listele ] [ Kaldır ]
13.    OS & Browser Detection    1.5    [ Kaldır ] [ Dosyaları Listele ] [ Kaldır ]
14.    SMF 2.0.5 Update    1.0    [ Dosyaları Listele ] [ Kaldır ]
15.    SMF 2.0.2 Update    1.0    [ Dosyaları Listele ] [ Kaldır ]
17.    Ad Managment    3.0.1    [ Kaldır ] [ Dosyaları Listele ] [ Kaldır ]
18.    SMF Archive    2.0    [ Kaldır ] [ Dosyaları Listele ] [ Kaldır ]
19.    Hide SMF Version    1.0.6a    [ Kaldır ] [ Dosyaları Listele ] [ Kaldır ]
20.    Aeva Media    1.4w    [ Kaldır ] [ Dosyaları Listele ] [ Kaldır ]
21.    Related Topics    1.4    [ Dosyaları Listele ] [ Kaldır ]
22.    Invitation Message In Your Face (IMIYF)    0.3.1    [ Kaldır ] [ Dosyaları Listele ] [ Kaldır ]
23.    SMF 2.0.3 Update    1.0    [ Dosyaları Listele ] [ Kaldır ]
24.    Collapsible Categories    2.0.1    [ Kaldır ] [ Dosyaları Listele ] [ Kaldır ]
25.    Automatic Index 2.4    2.4    [ Dosyaları Listele ] [ Kaldır ]
26.    Caps_Lock_Detection_on_Login    1.1.0.1    [ Kaldır ] [ Dosyaları Listele ] [ Kaldır ]
27.    Auto Refresh Who Index    1.0    [ Kaldır ] [ Dosyaları Listele ] [ Kaldır ]
28.    SMF Chess    2.1.4    [ Kaldır ] [ Dosyaları Listele ] [ Kaldır ]
29.    Extra Quick Reply Bar    1.3    [ Dosyaları Listele ] [ Kaldır ]
30.    Pretty URLs    1.0    [ Kaldır ] [ Dosyaları Listele ] [ Kaldır ]
31.    123 Flash Chat Module    1.0    [ Modifikasyonu Yükle ] [ Dosyaları Listele ] [ Kaldır ]
32.    Spider Images    0.3    [ Kaldır ] [ Dosyaları Listele ] [ Kaldır ]
33.    SMF 2.0.1 Update    1.0    [ Dosyaları Listele ] [ Kaldır ]
34.    cb|Emailogin    0.61    [ Dosyaları Listele ] [ Kaldır ]
35.    6 Custom buttons / tabs with Sub Menus (4)    0.5    [ Kaldır ] [ Dosyaları Listele ] [ Kaldır ]
36.    Invitation System

PLAYBOY

I still couldnt figure out why it was happening nor what was the problem but i just moved to another server and now the problem seems to be fixed.
Just wanted to let people know

Angelina Belle

That is a very strange story.  The fact that another server move fixed the problem almost makes it sound like something to do with the first server migration caused the problem.

I am happy to hear the problem is fixed, even if we don't know what caused it, or what to say if someone else has the same problem.

Thank you for sharing that with us.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -- Hanlon's Razor

Advertisement: