Forum software acting strange even on new install

Started by Randem, December 19, 2013, 06:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randem

Ok, I have a production and a development environment. Now while the production environment is stable the production environment started acting strange, so I totally deleted the development environment (database and folders) and recreated it with a new install and upgrade of SMF. The same problem is still there. Has anyone seen this or know how to correct this.

The menu selector is transparent, menu colors are absent and items in the menu are missing. See attachment. The is no data in the database aside from what SMF has placed there on the install. This is a virgin install and the systems are running using completely separate databases.
Scams - How to Protect Yourself
Why Professionals Should Not Use Free Email Accounts

Always ignore those who attempt to tell you what to think and believe those who will allow you think for yourself

margarett

You are probably missing some theme images, I guess...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Randem

I will check, but where did they go on the old install? and why aren't they there on a new install and upgrade?

Always ignore those who attempt to tell you what to think and believe those who will allow you think for yourself

margarett

No idea :P

According my firebug, for the missing background on the header, you are probably missing this:
/Themes/default/images/theme/main_block.png
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Randem

Thanks, you pointed me in the right direction. I am re-uploading the installation to try again. My FTP was set to ASCII because I was uploading only text files and forgot to set it back to automatic. This definitely caused the image files to be corrupted.

I will let you know if I am correct as this should take care of the issue and this should help someone else also...

Randem

Ok, that was not the problem. It seems the Curve Theme is corrupted. I did the delete and install three times and still the same issue. So, I tried other themes and they all work correctly. this makes sense since this started happening after upgrading my development environment to the latest SMF upgrade. the Curve theme is the only one that does not work properly.  :(

Suki

It all points out to your FTP folder did upload all images as ASCII, try downloading the entire package again and do an install on local or try uploading your files with another method like SCP.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Randem

Incorrect. I already stated that I changed that and re-uploaded and installed the package three times with the same results. If that were the case then all the other themes would have been broken also, but they were not. I did download the default theme from our production environment and uploaded it to the development environment and the theme now works properly. the production environment is an earlier download of the SMF software.

Suki

Well, if you still have your FTP settings to upload as ASCII then yes, everytime you upload the files your images will be corrupted.

Thats why I suggested to use other methods so we can completely discard the FTP issue.

As for other themes, they usually have limited images and most of the time they will fetch the images from the default theme.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Randem

You are not reading... I change the FTP to binary. That is how the download and upload of the theme worked... Also as I stated all the other themes would have been broken also. Since I have it working I am re-uploading the upgrade to see if it breaks again.

Suki

Yep, I didn't read it... mostly because you never specified you changed it back to binary, you only told me that you re-upload it it but never specified how ::)

Again, can you try to install the package on local, this is just to verify, if the current package is indeed corrupted, you should have the same results on local.

Chen Zhen

Randem,

What FTP platform are you using (FileZilla, WinSCP, etc.)?  Try setting the transfers to auto which should select ASCII/Binary depending on the file type.  There are also other settings for files without extensions or dotfiles which should be set properly as shown below.

Transfer type: Auto
Treat Files without extensions as ASCII: Yes 
Treat dotfiles as ASCII files: Yes

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

"Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune." - Noam Chomsky

Randem

I am using fireFTP and I did set it to Automatic only Binary works properly. I have my development environment back up and running now and will continue on from there. Thank you all for some insights to what the issue could be.

Chen Zhen

Randem,

I am not familiar with FireFTP specifically. The file types settings for it may include an area to enter file types that should be treated specifically as ASCII. Is it possible that this FTP platform had file types listed in that area that you deleted from its settings in error?
File types such as php, html, js, etc. should be included in that list (among many others) or what will happen is the platform will attempt to write those files in Binary which will result in corrupted files.

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

"Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune." - Noam Chomsky

Randem

It's all in there just does not work properly, which is precisely why I had to switch to ASCII to upload/download php files with conversions. All is good now...

Chen Zhen

Randem,

I am glad you found a solution & I'll chalk this topic as solved. May I suggest resetting that FTP platform's settings to default and then set what I posted prior for file types or possibly think about using another FTP platform such as FileZilla or WinSCP (again.. make sure file settings are as previously stated).

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

EL34

I just experienced transparent menus also and several other .css oddities

Just in case anyone else has this issue, this is what happened

I moved the main index.css file into another folder and my web editing software changed all the urls in the .css file
I use web expression and it keeps track of links when you move files and tries to correct them for the new path

so instead of the stock location of     ../images/theme/menu_block.png

My web editing software changed the urls to the relative location where I had moved the file
../../../ForumTest/Themes/default//images/theme/menu_block.png

So check your image url's in your index.css to see if they are correct
A simple find and replace fixed all my .css url's and the forum was back to normal
Forum History -> EZBoard -> YABB -> SMF 1.1.19 -> SMF 2.0.19

Kindred

Why did you move the files?

That is going to play havoc with any other themes and any mods that you install.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

EL34

I did not move the main forum files.
I moved a copy of the index.css over to a test forum folder to edit some things in .css

I have a test forum set up where I test things before making them live on the real forum
See the url link?
Forum History -> EZBoard -> YABB -> SMF 1.1.19 -> SMF 2.0.19

Advertisement: