News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Is it possible to shut e-mail notifications off for one thread in a category

Started by GlennLever, December 21, 2013, 01:43:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GlennLever

There is one thread in one of our categories on the forum that has a lot of e-mail notifications sent from. It is causing a problem with the e-mail limit on the server.

What happened was we hit the limit and then the sever started sending notices to my e-mail that we had hit the limit. Then my sever (roadrunner) hit its limit on incoming e-mails from the same sever and black listed it as spam.

I have turned on the e-mail que in the forum software and am limiting the number of e-mails set out per hour so as not to hit the forum sever limit again.

We have gotten roadrunner to back off and everything is back to normal.

Now I am trying to retro active. In one of our categories there is a thread "    
What did you do on your Front Engine Dragster TODAY?"

Most of the members have subscribed to that threat for notifications. So... when there is an update to that thread the software wants to send notifications to a lot of people.

I was thinking it would be OK to turn notifications off for that thread and tell members that they will have to manually check that thread for updates.

Thoughts and suggestions (remember I am very limited in my computer and forum software knowledge)?

kat

I believe that, without some pretty extensive coding, getting them to turn off the notifications, themselves, is the only way, Glenn. Unless you want to go through turning them all off, for them.

I'm guessing that it might be possible to kill the notification, entirely, if you hack phpmyadmin. But, I have no idea how you'd do that, if it's, indeed, possible to do that.

Arantor

DELETE FROM smf_log_notify WHERE id_topic = <the topic id that you're removing>

GlennLever

Quote from: Arantor Beeblebrox the First on December 21, 2013, 02:10:23 PM
DELETE FROM smf_log_notify WHERE id_topic = <the topic id that you're removing>

Above my knowledge I suspect you want me to modify some code somewhere.

Arantor

No, I was answering K@'s comment about using phpMyAdmin. No code change required.

Storman™

QuoteAbove my knowledge I suspect you want me to modify some code somewhere.

GlennLever: the advice from Arantor was to run a small query against your database. It's normally done using a program called phpMyAdmin.

The query will basically stop notifications being sent out for that topic.

GlennLever

Quote from: Storman™ on December 21, 2013, 03:26:48 PM
QuoteAbove my knowledge I suspect you want me to modify some code somewhere.

GlennLever: the advice from Arantor was to run a small query against your database. It's normally done using a program called phpMyAdmin.

The query will basically stop notifications being sent out for that topic.
This would be done by reseting the notification trigger at the member level for that thread?

Arantor

No... the query I gave you would remove all notification triggers for all members for that thread if you put the right thread number in it.

Advertisement: