News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Optimizing for mobile

Started by B3aker, December 23, 2013, 06:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kindred

NeedIt...   No, people actually do NOT think in apps any more.
There are TOO MANY sites that have "dedicated app" versions on their website...  and each one clutters up your device more and more - so much so that people only download one or two apps these days and then go back to using the web.  The whole dedicated app for a website was a short-lived fad that was never going to make it, because people don't want 1,000 icons on their device for each different site. They just ant bookmarks in a browser, like they have on the computer
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

NeedIt

Quote from: Kindred on December 25, 2013, 06:51:12 PM
NeedIt...   No, people actually do NOT think in apps any more.
There are TOO MANY sites that have "dedicated app" versions on their website...  and each one clutters up your device more and more - so much so that people only download one or two apps these days and then go back to using the web.  The whole dedicated app for a website was a short-lived fad that was never going to make it, because people don't want 1,000 icons on their device for each different site. They just ant bookmarks in a browser, like they have on the computer

Okay.  I'll go with that logic.  Can't wait til the default theme is ultimately mobile friendly - that will be nice.  Thx guys for all you're doing.

Arantor

So, just so I know what to do when I have free time sometime in 2016 or thereabouts, I make SMF 2.1 all powerful with an alerts system, give it a mobile theme, then what? What demand will be the next thing I'm expected to add because you want it?

There are three people on the dev team. We're going as fast as we can, and people complaining how nice it will be when we finish something is not exactly encouragement. It just makes us feel bad that we haven't done it yet.

In the last few weeks I've had several people tell me that a fully mobile or responsive (the two are very different) theme is "only a couple of weeks work" but then mysteriously fail to deliver on it when we suggest they should contribute rather than stand back and be all arrogant about how easy it is for it to be done and three people in their spare time "decide not to do it" because apparently that's what it is, it's us being lazy and not doing it. (I mean, here it is, 3 hours into the day after Christmas and I'm up to my armpits in bug reports again. Because I felt guilty for taking one damn day off. Because of people like you who complain about not getting it fast enough, and that's what you were doing, even if you didn't mean to.)

Realinfo

Quote from: Arantor Beeblebrox the First on December 25, 2013, 09:54:27 PM
So, just so I know what to do when I have free time sometime in 2016 or thereabouts, I make SMF 2.1 all powerful with an alerts system, give it a mobile theme, then what? What demand will be the next thing I'm expected to add because you want it?

There are three people on the dev team. We're going as fast as we can, and people complaining how nice it will be when we finish something is not exactly encouragement. It just makes us feel bad that we haven't done it yet.

In the last few weeks I've had several people tell me that a fully mobile or responsive (the two are very different) theme is "only a couple of weeks work" but then mysteriously fail to deliver on it when we suggest they should contribute rather than stand back and be all arrogant about how easy it is for it to be done and three people in their spare time "decide not to do it" because apparently that's what it is, it's us being lazy and not doing it. (I mean, here it is, 3 hours into the day after Christmas and I'm up to my armpits in bug reports again. Because I felt guilty for taking one damn day off. Because of people like you who complain about not getting it fast enough, and that's what you were doing, even if you didn't mean to.)

You people did a great work to give us 2.0

But just all want to have more as per todays need

thanks

Arantor

I'm sorry, did you not actually read what I said? I'm well aware that SMF needs better mobile support. But for all the people who actually ask (or demand or threaten)... no-one has actually stepped up to not only offer to help but *actually* help.

Which means we're back to the three people who are spending THEIR FREE TIME for everyone else. Right now, I hear that you want better mobile support. But from my perspective, it's going to take months to implement and test - that means you won't get SMF 2.1 until probably 2015. Would you rather wait that long or just quit the moaning for now and let us get on with what we do in our spare time for your benefit? (It's seriously ungrateful from everyone who complains that SMF <doesn't have feature X> because we put in a vast amount of our time to make something for you and all you seem to do is complain)

Every time I have this argument a little piece of me wants to tell everyone to go to hell and leave because I'm fed up of people telling me what SMF needs to have but *never ever ever ever ever in a bajillion years* ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. If you want it, you could actually consider trying to help instead of complaining that we're not adding it because that's all you're doing: complaining that <feature you want> isn't implemented yet.

Realinfo

I read it, and got it, also got that time issue, but it's a good things that people suggest you to what to have in new smf, that;s not bad idea, may they not able to give actual help, but they are helping in just just suggesting,

Arantor

You might not think it's a bad idea. Wait until you hear it at least a dozen times a day, to be told how you're letting so many people down because you don't have the hours in the day to make them something.

Imitator

Opera Mini works quite well on my old BlackBerry with your/our SMF  forum.   Was actually quite readable and usable.     Still use the computer and keyboard for entry but this works fine for just browsing.  Easy zoom and pan features also.

Advertisement: