Mod Mistake, Broken Avatars and Smileys

Started by snoweye, December 30, 2013, 05:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snoweye

Hello, I was going to install a mod last minute before passing out and for some reason I thought that I installed a bunch of smileys in the wrong section and instead of clicking uninstall I just deleted the Smiley Mods straight away and it was about 4 different ones.

Once I did that, 50% of my avatars just didnt work and were broken even tho they are in the files and show up when I view them, but when you look at them through the choices of avatars for the user's profile its just a broken image nothing there and same with the smileys as well obviously :(
This was the stupidest thing I've done and I just wanted to know if there was a way of fixing this properly without having to do a backup because Im not sure if I have a recent one. As far as I know thats the only thing that I broke

what should I do ??? :(

Thanks and appreciate the help

Bigguy

I would manually parse each mod you installed and go through your files looking for the code and remove it all until things work again.

snoweye

Yeah thats what I was thinking but Im not too too sure which mods I had installed Ill look into it and figure it out tho , they were just smileys though I didnt think it could break anything I thought it was just a folder and some pictures :(

-----
i just looked into the parse and they are all just folders with images, no code. Im not sure whats going on here all i did was delete smileys and now my avatars folder wont work. any image I put into it turns into a broken icon.

:(

Bigguy

That is a bit weird. I don't think anything should break by deleting smileys. What mods did you install before the smileys. ??

snoweye

here a screenshot of what comes up when I try and choose an avatar. just comes up with the  name of the image on firefox and on chrome its the little broken image icon.

heres a picture of the mods i have installed

http://co.do.am/x/screenshotty.png

Bigguy

Try removing avatar select. This is just a guess but if you are having problems with av's then I would think that MAY have something to do with it. (Not sure though)

snoweye

already gave that a try :( it didn't work. I've been trying to find the code thats highlighted in blue at the bottom of the first image I showed, to see if making a new directory with a new folder might fix it. but I dont know :( this doesnt make sense to me my forum was fine before and I dont have any backups  :'( :'(

Bigguy

Did you clear your browser cache and forum cache as well as try ctrl + f5 after uninstalling the mod. ??

snoweye

I tried both already, clearing my browser cache and forum cache but it didnt do anything. I didnt do the ctrl f5 tho what does that do ? and i have a mac so its different.

my smileys are completely broken too. Ive tried installing new smileys and reinstalling the old ones but they are all coming up like this no matter what I do even tho in the files when i find them the pictures show up fine :(:(:(:(:(

Bigguy

Aah a mac...on Windows ctrl + f5 bypasses the browser cache and gets all info right from the server you are hosted from. Can you right click on one of the smileys and go to properties to see where the images are or however you do that with a mac.

snoweye

I just found my problem -.- thanks for the help. the way i did it was by simply right clicking on the image and copying the image url :p

I just upgraded my hosting service to the pro version and I did something wrong in the sign up process so instead of upgrading my current control panel and files, they made a separate account and my original url www.codemagic.x10host.com was switched to that which has no files int it -.- so I just have to update my files to www.code-magic.org instead of the old one.

which files would i go into to replace all of the www.codemagic.x10host.com directories to the my new main one???

Bigguy

Copy all the files and folders from where you have installed SMF in the old url to the new one. You may have to run repair_settings.php but that should really be it:

What is repair_settings.php?

snoweye

it worked :) thanks a lot for your time and help big guy ;) you saved me!!

Bigguy

Hey, never a problem at all. If ya have more troubles post on back. I'll be here somewhere. ;) Can we mark this solved now. ??

Advertisement: