News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Moving Members/Merging Member Groups

Started by chris319, January 04, 2014, 06:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris319

Here is our dilemma. We have a troll who is known to us and is hell-bent on getting onto the board. He registers and responds to the email. He winds up in the (moderated) post-count-based group which has a threshhold of zero. He either remains there forever or we would have to set up a second post-count-based group for regular members which is unmoderated. Let's say the threshhold of that group is 3. All our troll has to do is make three innocuous posts. The moderators won't know it's Mr. Troll because he signs up with a fake name. They approve his first three posts because they are innocuous and presto! Mr. Troll is now a regular, unmoderated member because he has met the 3-post threshhold and he can post whatever he wants.

I've been around the block many, many times over 11 years with this issue.

Arantor

Which is why you don't do it with a post count group but a trust system... User earns trust to gain unmoderated status...

As for warning status, people with warnings do show up in the mod center.

chris319

QuoteWhich is why you don't do it with a post count group but a trust system... User earns trust to gain unmoderated status...

That's how we used to do it when our board was on IPB. We have found that on SMF, the mods have no direct control over who is in a post-count group.

Aside from the "base" post-count group, how do we make sure new members are moderated by default?  That is the crux of sorensonfan41's question. We would like to authenticate new users by email, to make sure they have provided a valid email address, and have them go into a moderated status upon replying to the confirmation email.

margarett

I think you are not yet comfortable with SMF's permission system.

First of all: the "warning points" decrease automatically with time, so there's no good way to do it this way.

So, you have 2 types of membergroups:
- post count groups, whose members are automatically managed through post count
- "regular" membergroups, whose members are manually added (you can have requestable groups, but it doesn't matter here), and a special membergroup, "Regular members" --> ALL registered members are part of this.
(and, of course, Guests)

Post count groups don't have associated permissions by default, unless you activate that. So, let's stick with the regular membergroups.
If you activate "Post Moderation" in Core Features, you are able to specify post approval permissions to your membergroups.
So, you create a new membergroup as Arantor suggested. Call it "Trusted Users", "Members", whatever.
Then, go to Post Moderation (after activation) and set Regular Members to "Can Create but requires approval". And your new membergroup to "Can Create". All topics, replies, etc.

So, whenever someone passes your "filter", you can manually set them to your new group and you are all set ;)
Check this for some further help: http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Permissions#Post_Moderation
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Illori

Quote from: margarett on January 06, 2014, 06:45:18 AM
First of all: the "warning points" decrease automatically with time, so there's no good way to do it this way.

only if you put a value higher then 0 in "Warning points to decrement from users every 24 hours
Only applies to users not warned within last 24 hours - set to 0 to disable."

margarett

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Illori

Quote from: margarett on January 06, 2014, 06:45:18 AM
- "regular" membergroups, whose members are manually added (you can have requestable groups, but it doesn't matter here), and a special membergroup, "Regular members" --> ALL registered members are part of this.
(and, of course, Guests)

also guests are not part of the regular members group... they are guests.

chris319

Ah, OK. We're not up to speed with this built-in "Regular Members" group. The "Regular Members" group does not show up in the member groups list.

So when a new registrant responds to his confirmation email, he winds up in this "Regular Members" group by default, and from there we move him to some other group? We now have 1,622 members in this group which we will have to move one by one into another member group. All we have to do is figure out how to move members out of "Regular Members" and into another member group.

Arantor

Individually you do it in their profile > account settings page, can be done in bulk with a database query too.

chris319

Thanks. Could you or someone post the SQL query syntax? We have 1,622 members to move from that group to a conventional group.

Thanks in advance.

margarett

And I gave you that query in your other topic ;)

edit:
Now more current:

UPDATE smf_members
SET id_group = 15
WHERE id_group = 0;

Replace 15 with the ID of your "new" group. This is leave members with an already existing membergroup untouched.

chris319

Is there a way I can see a roster of the members in the "Regular Members" group? It would be nice to have.

Arantor

Kindred

it is the "de facto" group that SMF applies for permissions if the user has no other group assigned... (and post-count groups are applied AFTER that calculation)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Actually, no, that's not it.

It is the de facto group that SMF applies in all cases if the user does not have a primary member group assigned.

Reason: in the database record for the member, they have three columns: id_group, id_post_group and additional_groups. The first two must have a value, and in absence of any other value, id_group will have 0 which is registered members. id_post_group will of course have the post count group (and is auto-managed by SMF) and additional_groups has whatever secondary groups the user is in.

The user's groups, then, are the sum total of all three of these columns, and it is quite possible for a user to be in multiple groups, plus their post count group, plus Registered Members.

For example this site: there is the joinable group "Community Support Helper" which is an additional group, plus a user's post count group, but they will still be in Registered Members as their primary group.

Kindred

you're right.   I should have stated that more clearly. :)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: