2.0.6 gallery & downloads mod advice (and supporting features)

Started by PhuriousGeorge, January 08, 2014, 01:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhuriousGeorge

Hello, I've been giving one of my 2.0.6 forums a face-lift, taking into account my users' comments and how they're currently utilizing the forum and was looking for some experience or input:

1. First off, I decided due to the amount of image content that is included in the forum, or tossed in albums at other services, I decided I needed a gallery. I'm relatively certain I've narrowed it down to Aeva, but am interested in any feedback from members who have used this or similar mods.

2. More for my own use, but to better enable my users as well, I was looking for a downloads system to integrate. Just an idea of how I think this would be used: My group does some mod / content development for games and I serve custom game clients, sometimes reaching up to 2-3GB large, which I'd rather upload via FTP, rather than through a web interface. I've heard rumors that Aeva may be able to support uploads/downloads rather than just media content, but I haven't gotten the opportunity to toy with Aeva myself yet.

3. This is kind of an odd request, I saw Kindred mention something to this point previously, with no feedback, but I'd like to send/tie-in any existing content into whatever media gallery I install, via script if possible/feasible.

4. As with what I've witnessed on most forums, most image content is uploaded elsewhere and linked on the post content. Personally, due to some image sites coming and going, load restrictions, erased content, etc, when a user does this, I'd prefer to do something like grab the image from that url and store it locally like an attachment so I never loose any content. I saw some posts hinting toward a script like this, but haven't seen it implemented anywhere. Looking for ideas or solutions for this as well.

Thanks for any and all replies. Not sure if 3 or 4 has been done before, but I'm interested in any attempts or ideas.

Kindred

1- AEVA is still the best solution... but there are some bugs and some things that you would need to manually tweak since it is not receiving any further development or work.

2- AEVA can be used to handle all sorts of files...   personally, I use AVEA as a gallery and vbgamer's downloads mod for other files.

3- not sure I understand what you mean by that.

4- no... nothing that I know of does that, currently
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

PhuriousGeorge

Quote from: Kindred on January 08, 2014, 01:32:35 PM
1- AEVA is still the best solution... but there are some bugs and some things that you would need to manually tweak since it is not receiving any further development or work.

2- AEVA can be used to handle all sorts of files...   personally, I use AVEA as a gallery and vbgamer's downloads mod for other files.

Yeah, I was looking into the SMFHacks one (vbgamer's), I'm just wary of paying before trying since there are others available as paid as well.

Quote from: Kindred on January 08, 2014, 01:32:35 PM3- not sure I understand what you mean by that.

From: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=512171.msg3618379#msg3618379
Quote from: Kindred on October 04, 2013, 12:21:55 PM
actually, what I wish someone would write is a converter that takes the attachments from a board and imports them into a gallery (like aeva)

Quote from: Kindred on January 08, 2014, 01:32:35 PM4- no... nothing that I know of does that, currently

I figured, just thought I'd ask ;)

margarett

Such a script should actually be doable but it would take a lot of work for not such benefit...
To pick the attachments from a board is relatively easy. To insert that in aeva can be another game, though...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Kindred

Picking an attachment is not quite so easy when you are talking about several hundred attachments... and you only want the attachments form a specific board.

As for importing...   there is already an import function in AEVA, so I would assume it's just a matter of triggering the import function and passing the attachment references...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

vbgamer45

I have full admin/client demos of my paid scripts if needed send me a pm. I have just recently released downloads pro 3.0 and I am open to custom development as well.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

PhuriousGeorge

Quote from: margarett on January 08, 2014, 03:31:51 PMSuch a script should actually be doable but it would take a lot of work for not such benefit...

Yeah, I've gone back and forth on #4 script. I've lost some good content over the years while using other forums and I recently successfully stripped all of my old content from our first forum, a forumotion forum and converted it into SMF and I'm afraid  whatever image host forumotion uses (not familiar with them, if they have a relationship with forumotion or not) - afraid when the forum is finally trashed due to inactivity all my links might break and I'll loose another mass of content. Also, I had enabled users to display images from puush, which has recently changed to a temporary storage method >_<.

So, I was hoping to prevent this situation in the future, while helping me to retain what I recovered from the past (without manual save/alter link, etc).  I may or may not have a go at it myself. Thanks everyone for the input!

Quote from: Kindred on January 08, 2014, 03:43:34 PMPicking an attachment is not quite so easy when you are talking about several hundred attachments... and you only want the attachments form a specific board.

I'm fine with grabbing them all (all boards). I actually don't have so many actually now that I think about it. Most are actually hosted elsewhere, so #3 isn't an issue for me after all!

Quote from: Kindred on January 08, 2014, 03:43:34 PMAs for importing...   there is already an import function in AEVA, so I would assume it's just a matter of triggering the import function and passing the attachment references...

I'm sorry, is this importing current images or importing those externally hosted?

Quote from: vbgamer45 on January 08, 2014, 04:26:27 PM
I have full admin/client demos of my paid scripts if needed send me a pm. I have just recently released downloads pro 3.0 and I am open to custom development as well.

Awesome, I'll probably take you up on that, thanks!

Thanks for all the responses. I don't mind putting work in myself, but when there's a knowledge base of experienced users here, it sure helps ;)

margarett

Quote from: Kindred on January 08, 2014, 03:43:34 PM
Picking an attachment is not quite so easy when you are talking about several hundred attachments... and you only want the attachments form a specific board.
Nop, it is really easy, actually. Even I could do it :P

SELECT a.id_attach, a.filename, a.file_hash
FROM smf_attachments AS a
JOIN smf_messages AS m ON ( a.id_msg = m.id_msg )
WHERE m.id_board =2
AND a.mime_type LIKE '%image%'
LIMIT 0 , 30

(of course this has to be brought to $smcFunc but it's just a direct test in phpmyadmin)

To get several hundreds is just a matter of repeat this query using adequate limits.
For each retrieved query you have the real filenames and the hash, just "dig" the attachments directory for the "hash" file (the hashed filename is id_attach + underscore + hash), if found (usually will be) copy it to the destination in AEVA gallery (or to a temp location), rename it to it's correct filenames and do the import thing into AEVA (the part I have no idea how to handle).
If the user ID is needed, just get it from attachments or messages table. Need the member name, JOIN the "members table" and get it through ID. Etc ;)

As for getting external images, it should be just a matter of getting those locally to a temp folder (no idea how to do that :P ) and again, do the import thing into AEVA
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

PhuriousGeorge

Thanks margarett, that's good info to set me on my way :D

Also, I've seen some older posts around here regarding using Coppermine as a Gallery. Looks like Commermine is still around, is it still feasible? Any idea how it compares to Aeva?

Kindred

Coppermine is fine...  but it's an external software that needs a bridge.
Personally, if I was going external, I'd use Menalto Gallery2 or Gallery3 and the bridge
Слaва
Украинi

PhuriousGeorge

Quote from: Kindred on January 09, 2014, 01:31:58 PM
Coppermine is fine...  but it's an external software that needs a bridge.
Personally, if I was going external, I'd use Menalto Gallery2 or Gallery3 and the bridge

Awesome, thanks again for the reply

Advertisement: