Moderators getting new member notifications but not the admin??!

Started by basis, October 06, 2013, 08:22:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

basis

1. Ok I'm the admin for my forum, eg: myforum.org
2. The email for my forum account is [email protected]
3. Settings.php: $webmaster_email = '[email protected]';
4. Moderators have permission "Moderate forum members" - selected.
5. Registration\Settings\"Notify administrators when a new member joins" - selected. (thx BurkeKnight for reminding me)

Now what is really puzzling to me, I wasn't getting the email notifications when new members joined but my moderators were getting the email notifications via [email protected]. I checked myself via a dummy moderator account and it received the notification email but not me with my [email protected] (I checked the spam box, nothing).

So this is my question, why? Was it something I did wrong? Or does it have anything to do with my cpanel settings?

This is a real puzzler for me, and I'm actually very curious to learn what the problem was.
SMF Version: Ver 2.0.8
Running Mods:
SimplePortal v2.3.5 (disabled)
AEVA 7.2 (enabled)
Stop Spammer 2.3.9 (disabled)
Bad Behaviour mod 1.5.17 (disabled)

Burke ♞ Knight

On registration settings, do you have Notify administrators when a new member joins check marked?

basis

Quote from: BurkeKnight on October 06, 2013, 08:27:20 AM
On registration settings, do you have Notify administrators when a new member joins check marked?

oh yes I do. forgot to mention that, will add that to the list in OP.
i think without this settings, my moderators will not be getting the email, am I correct?
Running Mods:
AEVA 7.2 (enabled)

Burke ♞ Knight

No. That is for notifying the admin.
Have you checked your profile?
Make sure in Notifications you have Receive forum newsletters, announcements and important notifications by email. Check marked.

basis

Quote from: BurkeKnight on October 06, 2013, 08:34:13 AM
No. That is for notifying the admin.
Have you checked your profile?
Make sure in Notifications you have Receive forum newsletters, announcements and important notifications by email. Check marked.

yes the " Receive forum newsletters, announcements and important notifications by email." is selected.

my biggest worry is that maybe, [email protected] may have banned [email protected]?
Running Mods:
AEVA 7.2 (enabled)

Burke ♞ Knight

Should not have.
Have you tried having the same email for the forum being the same as the main admin account?
That is what most people do, I believe, and is what the default is set to.

basis

Quote from: BurkeKnight on October 06, 2013, 08:39:11 AM
Should not have.
Have you tried having the same email for the forum being the same as the main admin account?
That is what most people do, I believe, and is what the default is set to.

so you mean change:
Settings.php: $webmaster_email = '[email protected]';
to
Settings.php: $webmaster_email = '[email protected]'; ??

You could be right.

I could make the changes to settings.php, but if I did that then any notification email will contain [email protected].

Personally I prefer not to do that, but if that is what it takes, then perhaps I have no choice. :(

If anyone has an alternative to masking out my account email, that would be great.
Running Mods:
AEVA 7.2 (enabled)

Burke ♞ Knight

The email you have for the forum, does it exist?
You could set up an email forwarder in your hosting cPanel to forward that email to your gmail.
Then, set your email in your profile to that email.

Illori

you should not need to change the webmaster email address, but it is a good idea to make sure that, that address can receive email as it is used when there are database errors.

have you received any email from your forum at your email address in your profile? if not then ask your host if your domain is black listed etc.

basis

Quote from: BurkeKnight on October 06, 2013, 08:48:27 AM
The email you have for the forum, does it exist?
You could set up an email forwarder in your hosting cPanel to forward that email to your gmail.
Then, set your email in your profile to that email.
Yes the [email protected] does exist and I can see it exist in cpanel. and I've checked some of the emails from my moderators and it contains that email address. So I can confirm that it works, but not sure if it has been blocked since :(

In fact, before I even posted the original question, what you suggested was in effect. Meaning, in cpanel: [email protected] was forwarded to [email protected]
but for some reason I still wasn't getting the notification emails. and now my greatest fear is that with the MOD Stop Spammer active, it may have blocked some emails :(

Quote from: Illori on October 06, 2013, 09:05:00 AM
you should not need to change the webmaster email address, but it is a good idea to make sure that, that address can receive email as it is used when there are database errors.

have you received any email from your forum at your email address in your profile? if not then ask your host if your domain is black listed etc.
Actually you're right, I have not received any email from my forum at my email address in my profile.
So does that mean gmail may have black listed my email account? or even the forum's [email protected] account?
and how should I go about removing these emails from being blacklisted?
Running Mods:
AEVA 7.2 (enabled)

Illori

i would suggest you contact your host and ask them to look into the issue. it would be your server is backlisted and the email may be going to your spam folder or not getting to your email address at all.

basis

Quote from: Illori on October 06, 2013, 10:48:21 AM
i would suggest you contact your host and ask them to look into the issue. it would be your server is backlisted and the email may be going to your spam folder or not getting to your email address at all.

ok I have sent an email to the host and asked them to look into the issue.

But to help me understand - what is the recommended email to put into:
Settings.php: $webmaster_email = ???

1. my own account email?
or
2. the site's own admin account email and forward to my own account email?
Running Mods:
AEVA 7.2 (enabled)

Illori

there is no recommended value, as long it is an email account that can send and receive email.

basis

Returning to this issue.

My host has checked and their email system is not being blocked. I've done several tests and verified.

So my question is, could it just be my own email account (a gmail system) that is blocking ALL emails coming out from my own forum?
Because my moderators are getting the correct email notifications for new members joining.

So does anyone could have a clue? Or are there other tests that I could further verify my claim?
Running Mods:
AEVA 7.2 (enabled)

basis

hmm this issue still persists. maybe it's something i did wrong in the settings.php?

or does anyone speculate what i could have done wrong?

basically i'm admin and i don't get email notifications from SMF, but my moderators do. strange phenomenon.
Running Mods:
AEVA 7.2 (enabled)

Angelina Belle

QuoteI have not received any email from my forum at my email address in my profile.

You want to make sure that
1) The email is being sent and
2) That any email sent from your forum is being received.

First, double-check that you spelled your email account properly to your forum.
Then try "send email to user" -- something the admin should be able to do.  See if you get that email.
If that does not work, try changing your email address for the admin account.
Try again to send email to the user. Or a newsletter.  Anything.

See how that goes.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -- Hanlon's Razor

basis

Quote from: AngelinaBelle on October 29, 2013, 02:20:21 PM
First, double-check that you spelled your email account properly to your forum.

thanks AngelinaBelle, for some reason I thought I fixed the email for my profile, but it seem that I did not save it. Yes this whole topic was completely my (user) error and there was a minor mistake with the email in my profile.

closing this issue for now. and thanks so much for everyone's help. real sorry for the trouble.
Running Mods:
AEVA 7.2 (enabled)

Angelina Belle

So glad to help.  I don't always figure out the simplest possible cause for a problem, but when I do, I feel like a hero.
Because it is usually the simplest possible things that go wrong.
Usually.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -- Hanlon's Razor

Advertisement: