News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Missing Activation Emails

Started by agilityk9s, November 12, 2013, 10:24:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agilityk9s

Lately no one is getting an activation email so I am having to activate everyone individually. How do I fix this? This wasn't an issue before so not sure what happened. They also aren't in spam folders.

ETA: Turns out the forum isn't sending emails at all. Lost password emails, etc aren't sending either

Chas Large

Do you use PHP mail or SMTP?

Many hosting companies are nor forcing web site owners to use SMTP with authentication to prevent their servers being used as spam forwarders.

Are you fully up to date with SMF?

Do you use the mail queue? if not then I would recommend you do so that sent mail can be cached if the mail server goes down or settings get changed accidentally. I set

"Maximum emails to send per minute" to 2 and
"Maximum amount of emails to send per page load" to 2

so that I don't overload the server's mail allowance/quota. You may have accidentally exceeded yours and your hosting company may have reduced the quota or turned off the mailserver but they usually let you know.

Any other info you can provide about your mail set up would help but don't post passwords.
My Modifications :)  My Forum

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

Colin

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

agilityk9s

It was originally working with PHP but I tried to see if SMTP would work instead but it won't either. I tried my hosting company's secure SSL settings and non-SSL settings and neither would send the emails. I tried all the settings suggested but still nothing.

It does look like I need to update the forum as mine is SMF 2.0 RC2 and it says the Current SMF version: SMF 2.0.6 so I can try that to see if it helps

margarett

Quote from: agilityk9s on January 07, 2014, 06:09:29 PM
This past week emails have no been sending. The error log shows that non of the registration/activation, lost password, etc emails are going through. What would make this randomly stop working?
Just so that it won't be lost ;)

In which error log do you see that? SMF's? Can you put here one of those logs? (please hide sensitive information - like email addresses)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

agilityk9s

It started working again...I haven't touched it since early today when I tried the things suggested but it wasn't working then. Not sure what fixed it but happy emails are going through again.

margarett

This is most likely an issue with your host...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

agilityk9s

I'll have to get in touch with them. My emails outside the forum haven't had any issues though

Chas Large

If you are using SMTP, try prefixing your mail server name with ssl:// like ssl://my.mail.server.com

Mine became intermittent for no obvious reason, then I discovered this little trick and it's been fine ever since.
My Modifications :)  My Forum

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

Advertisement: