News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Copy forum

Started by rubix123, January 13, 2014, 05:30:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rubix123

I currently have my forum set up the way I want it, but would like to copy it and set up a test forum to test out some new features. So do I just download my forum files, export the database and reimport with the new settings.? Do I need to clear any cache? Or do anything else?

Antes

you don't have to clear cache but you need to edit your settings.php file and run repair_settings.php file. Otherwise if you copy the files on the same server your changes will effect your original database, if you use it on localhost it probably wont run :P

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Backup
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Repair_settings.php

a10

To be 111% sure of not interfering with the live forum, got a new hosting space + domain and copied everything there, can do any kind of experiment\upgrade\mod with zero risk. And asked a few members from the original forum to log in and do some testing as well.

Currently getting acquainted with the 2.0.6 upgrade, some mods, simple portal etc, before applying anything to the live forum.
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

Illori

you dont need a new host or new domain, just put it in a new folder on your same host and use a subdomain or subfolder for the test install.

Storman™

Quoteyou dont need a new host or new domain, just put it in a new folder on your same host and use a subdomain or subfolder for the test install.

....... and importantly make sure you hook it up to a different database if using the same environment !   ;)

a10

Quoteyou dont need a new host or new domain, just put it in a new folder on your same host and use a subdomain or subfolder for the test install.
Yes, not a need, having it -completely- separated just a (zero risk) choice.
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

Advertisement: