News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

SMF hangs during post

Started by trollngo, January 14, 2014, 12:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trollngo

Hello everyone,

I'm having this issue with my forums and i can't figure out what's wrong.
My users are complaining lately about forum hangs while trying to post a reply. Sometimes the reply it's submitted, but they seem to get a timeout and when trying to refresh - the page won't load anymore.

It happens very random and they say that for about 2-3 minutes the main page- home page, nothing won't load.
I haven't installed any mods recently either... and not sure what's happening or how can i fix it.

Help?  :(

hadesflames

Check your error log, specifically the server logs.

trollngo

I checked that out and I don't have any errors  :-\

margarett

Can you reproduce that yourself? Can you give us a link and a test account (not admin) so that we can try?
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

trollngo

It happened to me as well. I tried to post and before the post was submitted, i was getting that white loading page and the forum seemed to be in a timeout. I tried to refresh main page and it wasn't loading either. Takes 2-3 min. to come back.

Happens really randomly...

margarett

I think that this might be an issue with your database getting hammered. Who's your host?

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

trollngo

My host is cyber ultra. net
I have other sites hosted by them and there are no problems

Shambles

Try turning off "hostname lookups" in your admin panel.

trollngo

I disabled that. Waiting to see results. I can't even check it out proper since it's happening totally random.

Storman™

QuoteI have other sites hosted by them and there are no problems

That means nothing, that site might be on a node thats oversubscribed, you could ask your host to migrate you to another one.

trollngo

Quote from: Shambles on January 14, 2014, 04:54:43 PM
Try turning off "hostname lookups" in your admin panel.
It didn't worked. I just had a hang while trying to make a post
And it's suspicious because there were no members online for the server to be overload or something... it just happened.

Illori

are you on a shared server or a VPS/dedicated server? if shared it could be an overloaded server and someone else on the server is causing the load to be high(er).

kat

Quote from: margarett on January 14, 2014, 01:32:20 PMCan you give us a link and a test account (not admin) so that we can try?

trollngo

Quote from: K@ on January 15, 2014, 08:08:13 AM
Quote from: margarett on January 14, 2014, 01:32:20 PMCan you give us a link and a test account (not admin) so that we can try?
Yes, sure. But it happens really at random times. I tried post spamming from an account and it didn't happened.
But give it a look: trollngo.com
logins: Support; pass: asdasdasd

I still have disable the : host lookups

kat

OK. Just gonna try some random "Test" replies, which I'll delete, when I'm done. :)

trollngo

Quote from: K@ on January 15, 2014, 08:48:46 AM
OK. Just gonna try some random "Test" replies, which I'll delete, when I'm done. :)
Sure, no problem :) Don't waste your time, i can remove them as well when you're done.

Thank you very much, i appreciate it!

kat

Interesting. When my eyes had gone back to normal, after the flashing that occurs, when I scroll the window (EEK!), I made four replies and every one was damned quick! A LOT faster than they go, here.

Opera v12.18.

I'll just try some other browsers (I have a LOT!).

kat

Damned fast with Avant. Just gonna try Lunascape...

trollngo

Quote from: K@ on January 15, 2014, 08:54:39 AM
Interesting. When my eyes had gone back to normal, after the flashing that occurs, when I scroll the window (EEK!), I made four replies and every one was damned quick! A LOT faster than they go, here.

Opera v12.18.

I'll just try some other browsers (I have a LOT!).
It think it's happening!!

trollngo

confirmed. I just had a hang...  >:(

trollngo

kat

The whole site's died, for me.

kat

trollngo

Quote from: K@ on January 15, 2014, 09:02:40 AM
The whole site's died, for me.
exactly.  now it's working again.

But that's what happens!

Illori

Quote from: Illori on January 15, 2014, 08:01:33 AM
are you on a shared server or a VPS/dedicated server? if shared it could be an overloaded server and someone else on the server is causing the load to be high(er).

kat

As I've posted, in that thread, on your forum...

OK. That's eight browsers I've tried. No hassles, with any of them. (Not Chrome, coz Chrome sucks donkey balls).

Two suggestions.

1-Empty the forum's cache, in "Forum Maintenance".

2-Kill the cookie. Go to Admin>Server settings and simply rename the cookie. That'll cause everyone to get logged-out and they'll have to log back in. But, it might fix it.

trollngo

Quote from: Illori on January 15, 2014, 09:08:50 AM

Yes, yes i am...  :-\

trollngo

Quote from: K@ on January 15, 2014, 09:13:50 AM
As I've posted, in that thread, on your forum...

OK. That's eight browsers I've tried. No hassles, with any of them. (Not Chrome, coz Chrome sucks donkey balls).

Two suggestions.

1-Empty the forum's cache, in "Forum Maintenance".

2-Kill the cookie. Go to Admin>Server settings and simply rename the cookie. That'll cause everyone to get logged-out and they'll have to log back in. But, it might fix it.
i replied there too

Buf...buf we all use chrome :o

Actually when you said that the forum died, that's what happens. That's the "hang" or "timeout" we get.
And i think it's happening when too many posts are made.

kat

As I said, there, I doubt it, coz it didn't hang for me, at all, apart from that one fart and I hadn't posted. I was just logging-in, using PaleMoon.

Apart from then, every single reply that I made was instant. A LOT faster than this place has ever been, in my experience.

kat

If anyone else logs in, there's a thread, where this is being discussed...

http://trollngo.com/index.php?topic=226.msg11377#msg11377

trollngo

Quote from: K@ on January 15, 2014, 09:17:44 AM
As I said, there, I doubt it, coz it didn't hang for me, at all, apart from that one fart and I hadn't posted. I was just logging-in, using PaleMoon.

Apart from then, every single reply that I made was instant. A LOT faster than this place has ever been, in my experience.
So maybe i didn't said it right, but that blank page is the problem. "the fart" is happening at random times and everything crushes. It was probably a coincidence that to me it drops when i try to post.

Anyway, that's what's happening and pretty often. The blank page and then the forum dies for 2-3 minutes

kat

I was gonna suggest that you enable "Load balancing", in Admin>Server settings.

I searched the ol' wiki, for a page which describes what you do, there. A search of the wiki only gave me this page, though.

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Differences_between_SMF_2.0_and_SMF_1.1

Not a lot of use, that... And, as that section, in Admin, warns that "Please note: the settings below are to be edited with care. Setting any of them too low may render your forum unusable!", that might not be such a good idea, at this point... :(

One for your host, methinks...

Illori

Quote from: trollngo on January 15, 2014, 09:14:35 AM
Quote from: Illori on January 15, 2014, 09:08:50 AM

i asked a question with 2 possible answers, so yes i am does not answer the question.

Yes, yes i am...  :-\

kat

A search didn't help, much, either...

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?action=search2;search=load+balancing

I suspect that, as I said, a word with your host would be best. But, as I also said, expect them to demand cash.  ::)

trollngo

Quote from: K@ on January 15, 2014, 09:28:57 AM
I was gonna suggest that you enable "Load balancing", in Admin>Server settings.

I searched the ol' wiki, for a page which describes what you do, there. A search of the wiki only gave me this page, though.

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Differences_between_SMF_2.0_and_SMF_1.1

Not a lot of use, that... And, as that section, in Admin, warns that "Please note: the settings below are to be edited with care. Setting any of them too low may render your forum unusable!", that might not be such a good idea, at this point... :(

One for your host, methinks...
Thank you very much for your support and promptitude, K@. 'preciate it!

trollngo

Quote from: Illori on January 15, 2014, 09:30:53 AM

I'll next contact the host to see what's their saying on the matter.
Thank you.

kat

Let us know what they say, OK?

trollngo

Quote from: K@ on January 15, 2014, 09:40:11 AM
Let us know what they say, OK?
Sure. As soon as i get an answer, i'll come back with updates  :o

:-\

trollngo

They told me

"mysql access was too high for a few seconds." and that they fixed it.
But they didn't

:(

margarett

Well, unfortunately we were right.

How many simultaneous users do you have when this happens?

trollngo

Quote from: margarett on January 16, 2014, 08:29:33 AM
Well, unfortunately we were right.

How many simultaneous users do you have when this happens?
Not many...
Now the entire site collapsed. I had max. 5 users online

margarett

That's a clear overselling case, or a bigger issue with your host, I'm sorry...

trollngo

Quote from: margarett on January 16, 2014, 08:41:16 AM
I just opened yet another ticket  :-\

Geir Haukland

Quote from: trollngo on January 16, 2014, 08:54:24 AM
Quote from: margarett on January 16, 2014, 08:41:16 AM
I just opened yet another ticket  :-\

I just tested your site, and got this:

This Account Has Been Suspended

So i cant see any of your posts or even the site itself.

Geir
Beta Tester For: Vidan Design [nofollow]

kat

Site's there, for sure. It's rather slow, though.

As I said, I suspect your host will want cash to sort this one out.

trollngo

I almost had a heart attack. For a little bit my account seemed ...suspended.

Host is on the issue. Waiting for an answer...
Seems fast again.

Advertisement: