News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

SMF hangs during post

Started by trollngo, January 14, 2014, 12:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trollngo

kat

The whole site's died, for me.

kat

trollngo

Quote from: K@ on January 15, 2014, 09:02:40 AM
The whole site's died, for me.
exactly.  now it's working again.

But that's what happens!

Illori

Quote from: Illori on January 15, 2014, 08:01:33 AM
are you on a shared server or a VPS/dedicated server? if shared it could be an overloaded server and someone else on the server is causing the load to be high(er).

kat

As I've posted, in that thread, on your forum...

OK. That's eight browsers I've tried. No hassles, with any of them. (Not Chrome, coz Chrome sucks donkey balls).

Two suggestions.

1-Empty the forum's cache, in "Forum Maintenance".

2-Kill the cookie. Go to Admin>Server settings and simply rename the cookie. That'll cause everyone to get logged-out and they'll have to log back in. But, it might fix it.

trollngo

Quote from: Illori on January 15, 2014, 09:08:50 AM
are you on a shared server or a VPS/dedicated server? if shared it could be an overloaded server and someone else on the server is causing the load to be high(er).

Yes, yes i am...  :-\

trollngo

Quote from: K@ on January 15, 2014, 09:13:50 AM
As I've posted, in that thread, on your forum...

OK. That's eight browsers I've tried. No hassles, with any of them. (Not Chrome, coz Chrome sucks donkey balls).

Two suggestions.

1-Empty the forum's cache, in "Forum Maintenance".

2-Kill the cookie. Go to Admin>Server settings and simply rename the cookie. That'll cause everyone to get logged-out and they'll have to log back in. But, it might fix it.
i replied there too

Buf...buf we all use chrome :o

Actually when you said that the forum died, that's what happens. That's the "hang" or "timeout" we get.
And i think it's happening when too many posts are made.

kat

As I said, there, I doubt it, coz it didn't hang for me, at all, apart from that one fart and I hadn't posted. I was just logging-in, using PaleMoon.

Apart from then, every single reply that I made was instant. A LOT faster than this place has ever been, in my experience.

kat

If anyone else logs in, there's a thread, where this is being discussed...

http://trollngo.com/index.php?topic=226.msg11377#msg11377

trollngo

Quote from: K@ on January 15, 2014, 09:17:44 AM
As I said, there, I doubt it, coz it didn't hang for me, at all, apart from that one fart and I hadn't posted. I was just logging-in, using PaleMoon.

Apart from then, every single reply that I made was instant. A LOT faster than this place has ever been, in my experience.
So maybe i didn't said it right, but that blank page is the problem. "the fart" is happening at random times and everything crushes. It was probably a coincidence that to me it drops when i try to post.

Anyway, that's what's happening and pretty often. The blank page and then the forum dies for 2-3 minutes

kat

I was gonna suggest that you enable "Load balancing", in Admin>Server settings.

I searched the ol' wiki, for a page which describes what you do, there. A search of the wiki only gave me this page, though.

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Differences_between_SMF_2.0_and_SMF_1.1

Not a lot of use, that... And, as that section, in Admin, warns that "Please note: the settings below are to be edited with care. Setting any of them too low may render your forum unusable!", that might not be such a good idea, at this point... :(

One for your host, methinks...

Illori

Quote from: trollngo on January 15, 2014, 09:14:35 AM
Quote from: Illori on January 15, 2014, 09:08:50 AM

i asked a question with 2 possible answers, so yes i am does not answer the question.

Yes, yes i am...  :-\

kat

A search didn't help, much, either...

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?action=search2;search=load+balancing

I suspect that, as I said, a word with your host would be best. But, as I also said, expect them to demand cash.  ::)

trollngo

Quote from: K@ on January 15, 2014, 09:28:57 AM
I was gonna suggest that you enable "Load balancing", in Admin>Server settings.

I searched the ol' wiki, for a page which describes what you do, there. A search of the wiki only gave me this page, though.

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Differences_between_SMF_2.0_and_SMF_1.1

Not a lot of use, that... And, as that section, in Admin, warns that "Please note: the settings below are to be edited with care. Setting any of them too low may render your forum unusable!", that might not be such a good idea, at this point... :(

One for your host, methinks...
Thank you very much for your support and promptitude, K@. 'preciate it!

trollngo

Quote from: Illori on January 15, 2014, 09:30:53 AM

I'll next contact the host to see what's their saying on the matter.
Thank you.

kat

Let us know what they say, OK?

trollngo

Quote from: K@ on January 15, 2014, 09:40:11 AM
Let us know what they say, OK?
Sure. As soon as i get an answer, i'll come back with updates  :o

:-\

trollngo

They told me

"mysql access was too high for a few seconds." and that they fixed it.
But they didn't

:(

Advertisement: