News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Private Topics

Started by ScrumpyJack, January 16, 2014, 04:58:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScrumpyJack

Hi all,

One of the departments in our company has asked if this is possible:-

They have different users that would need to comment on attachments in each individual topic...but the group of people that need to view each topic is always changing.

So basically....you might have 7 people who need to view an attachment and post their comments in the topic. On another topic, these 7 people might include 2 of the previous people, but 5 new ones.

Is there a way of selecting which members are allowed to view a topic when it is being created so it's restricted only to them?

I saw the Private Topics mod, but this doesn't seem to be available anymore.

Any ideas or help would be great if possible please!

Thanks

Lee
:)

Branko.

Strong people don't put others down, they lift them up.
A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.

margarett

Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

ScrumpyJack

Thanks guys!

I've installed the mod, but get an error on line 116 when I try to choose a board to allow private topics.

The error message I am getting is as follows:

Unknown column 'pt.user' in 'field list'
File: C:\wamp\www\SMF\Sources\PrivateTopics.php
Line: 116

Note: It appears that your database may require an upgrade. Your forum's files are currently at version SMF 2.0.6 while your database is at version 2.0.5.

The above error might possibly go away if you execute the latest version of upgrade.php.

Where would I find the upgrade.php file please?

Thanks

Lee

margarett

Forget about that message, it's a known bug.

As for the error in the mod, you should contact Suki or use GitHub comments system
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

emanuele

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

ScrumpyJack

Quote from: emanuele on January 16, 2014, 07:38:22 AM
https://simpledesk.net/ would likely be a better solution. ;)

Thanks for the advice Emanuele.

I took a look at simple desk but couldn't work out how I'd get the element of it that I need to work properly.

:(

Arantor

It's not really designed for that purpose, though. I'm slightly confused as to why there is this requirement, though (there really isn't a particularly good way of doing what you seem to be asking for)

ScrumpyJack

Well....basically we have people that work on deals as a group who would like to be able to discuss the progress and related attachments in topics about those deals.

They need a place in a board where a topic can be discussed between only certain people that are part of that deal.

So for example...you have 5 people working on a deal.

Dave
Mark
John
Steve
Lee

These five people would be able to discuss that deal in their own private topic.

Another deal involves:

Dave
Mark
Simon
Paul
Adam

They need to be able to discuss this deal in a locked topic but as it's confidential, John, Steve and Lee are not allowed to access that topic.

See what I mean?

Thanks

Lee

Arantor

Ah, yeah, I see what you mean. SimpleDesk isn't the tool for that job. Not entirely sure Private Topics is either but it's more likely to be than SimpleDesk is (it's designed for groups that don't spontaneously change over time, e.g. one department's users and staff members)

Acans

Just a thought but you could use boards instead.

Name the board what deal it is, than assign whoever is working the deal as Local Moderators in board settings while restricting permissions of all membergroups. However there are flaws with this idea;

1. If you have a lot of deals going on at once, you could have 100 boards at once.

2. This doesn't work by default, as it seems local moderator permissions doesn't override what membergroups can see the board. However if you ask someone nicely they might be able to make a hack that will work.
"The Book of Arantor, 17:3-5
  And I said unto him, thy database query shalt always be sent by the messenger of $smcFunc
  And $smcFunc shall protect you against injections and evil
  And so it came to pass that mysql_query was declared deprecated and even though he says he is not
  dead yet, the time was soon to come to pass when mysql_query shall be gone and no more

Advertisement: