News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Scared 2 Death, Don't Want 2 Lose Forum

Started by TootsieRoll, January 22, 2014, 07:21:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

margarett

Quote from: TootsieRoll on January 29, 2014, 01:38:22 AM
She says she would like to know how to best make a copy of the current database without the modifications for now?
The easiest way is really use phpmyadmin for this. Select your current database, click the "Operations" tab and fill a new name in the "Copy database to" section
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Bigguy

If using cpanel, go to the backups section and you should see a section for databases. Click that and you should see your database. This is where you can download a copy of your database. Of course though margarett's way is also very easy as well. :)

TootsieRoll

This is Valerie, tootsie's friend,  I need to know how to make tootsie's database work with 2.0.7
I keep getting errors.  Is there a database upgrade program I am missing?
she is finally patched to 1.1.9
I do not want to use the live forum so I have made a test forum.
I already know that her shout box will not work as it is not compatible with 2.0.7
and I am certain that of the 85 mods there are quite a few that will not work with 2.0.7
so I do not want to remove the mods just to upgrade her.
Lastly is there a way to manually make her mods work with the upgraded forum files?
Thank you for helping her since I don't really have a lot of time to do this for her anymore.

Oldiesmann

The only way to upgrade the database is to follow the instructions at Upgrading SMF. Upgrading the database should not touch any data added by mods, but any code changes made by those mods will need to be redone after upgrading, assuming they are compatible with at least 2.0 final (although many mods compatible with 2.0 RC5 will probably work with 2.0.7 as well).
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

TootsieRoll

Valerie here again for tootsie,

Are there any tables in the database that can be populated with forum data from a 1.19 to a 2.0.7
by changing the prefix by hand?
I have noticed that it will accept some data but I normally get a sources error: [Sources/Subs-Db-mysql.php on line 572 & 573]

if I understand what people are trying to tell me is that the only way to upgrade to 2.0.7 is to use the live forum
then how can I create a test forum and populate it with old data?

What I have done is create a copy of the original database and rename the prefix
then point the new forum 2.0.7 to the copy with the new prefix...am I missing something?  Someone please enlighten me!

I will not work with Tootsie's live files if there is any chance she would lose data or not be able to connect to her forum.

Bigguy

Take a database backup and use that on the test forum. Install the version of SMF you have running right now into a new folder on your server. Use the database backup you have to overwrite the data in the new database...then upgrade the test site to see how it goes. It should be all you need to do.

TootsieRoll

I took your advice made a copy of 1.1.9 uploaded it to a new test site.  Took the backup of her database and ran the upgrade to 2.0.7
I have done everything the prompts tell me too and still no successful upgrade.  I appreciate your help but this isn't working.  Do I have to go into the database and remove all the references to her arcade and Tiny Portal etc???

This is my result:

Notice: Undefined index: upgrade_upgrade_utility in /home/wrong4/public_html/unigrip/forum1.9/upgrade.php on line 3476
Simple Machines Forum

Notice: Undefined index: upgrade_progress in /home/wrong4/public_html/unigrip/forum1.9/upgrade.php on line 3488

Notice: Undefined index: upgrade_step in /home/wrong4/public_html/unigrip/forum1.9/upgrade.php on line 3493
1: Login

Notice: Undefined index: upgrade_step in /home/wrong4/public_html/unigrip/forum1.9/upgrade.php on line 3493
2: Upgrade Options

3: Backup

4: Database Changes

5: Delete Upgrade
0%

Notice: Undefined index: upgrade_overall_progress in /home/wrong4/public_html/unigrip/forum1.9/upgrade.php on line 3502

Notice: Undefined index: upgrade_time_elapsed in /home/wrong4/public_html/unigrip/forum1.9/upgrade.php on line 3527
: 0
Notice: Undefined index: upgrade_time_mins in /home/wrong4/public_html/unigrip/forum1.9/upgrade.php on line 3528
, 1
Notice: Undefined index: upgrade_time_secs in /home/wrong4/public_html/unigrip/forum1.9/upgrade.php on line 3528
Updating Your SMF Install!

The upgrader found some old or outdated language files, for the forum default language, english.

Please make certain you uploaded the new versions of all the files included in the package, even the theme and language files for the default theme.
   [SKIP] [Try English]

Click here to try again.
SMF ©2013, Simple Machines

Bigguy

When you made the new test forum...you used a backup copy of the database from the original forum right. Which means you would have installed a new version of SMF with the same version number you are currently running on the original forum, and with a new database, then uploaded the database backup to the new database and overwriting the new one on the test forum.

So now you have a test forum running the same version of SMF and the same database as the original site.  Is this where you got to and then ran the upgrade to get these errors. ??

TootsieRoll

Bigguy

Try re-uploading all the files and running the upgrade again. Not sure what those errors are.

margarett

Missing language strings in Install.english.php
Either the file wasn't uploaded or it isn't accessible (permissions issue)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Bigguy

I knew the language strings but what about the bottom errors ?? that seems to be the progress bar maybe in the upgrader. ??

TootsieRoll

I tried re-uploading the files for 2.07 upgrade and now I am getting an internal server error.
This time I used a fresh website, a fresh copy of 1.1.9 ...copied the database without the mods
had a working 1.1.9 forum and then ran the upgrade... as you recall when I did this last time it stalled at 40%
now I just get internal error.  Test Forum gone!

Deprecated

Don't worry Tootsie. As long as you have a good (valid) SQL backup from your original latest forum, it is 100% certain that you will be able to restore and upgrade your forum to 2.0.7.

Just last week I took my old forum in cold storage for 2+ years (I didn't even own the domain for part of the time) and got it up and running on 2.0.7 with only major problems. (LOL -- my database backup was corrupted, but I successfully edited out the corruption and got the forum up and running, didn't lose a single post, not a single member. All I lost was some logging.)

It may take serious effort but as long as you have a good database backup everything is possible. Good luck!

Bigguy

It very well could be permissions or ownership of files and folders getting in the way:

How do I chmod? / what is chmod?

TootsieRoll

Valerie here again,

Well it happened.  I don't know how but I was working with a test forum and trying to upgrade her mods for 1.9
figuring that at least she would have some upgraded mods that she could use.
I did not do anything to the live forum...then it happened
when I uploaded a new version of tiny portal to the test forum it would not install...so I figured I would uninstall it.
well there was no uninstall so I left it there.  Again, thinking I was working only on a test forum.
Anyway, much to my horror tootsies custom avatars are not showing.  Tiny portal 1.6 used to show the avatars next to the names.
Now there are no avatars... I'm done with this.  I have tried to get her forum upgraded for 4 days now...and it just won't work.

So... all I would like to do now...is restore her avatars next to the posts...Can anyone tell me how to do that??? HEEEELP.

Deprecated

Examine your Settings.php file on both test site and live site and make sure you don't have any duplicate paths. Also verify that you are using a different SQL server. Same for portal settings (I don't know portal stuff.)

As far as setting up a test forum, best way is to set it up in a separate directory off your shared hosting top level, and no domains should be directed to the top level. Every publicly accessible website (including your forum and test forum) should be in subdirectories off your main hosting root.

By the way, IMO it's not a good idea to have your forum example.com and your test forum as example.com/test_forum although I'm sure many do that. Better to have them separated in different file hierarchies.

I suggest using a sub-domain to further isolate them. For example, if your forum is http://example.com your test forum should be in a subdomain like http://test_forum.example.com. A separate domain is even better if you own multiple domains (my case).

I'm no expert in your problem but part of the solution is to have up to date file and database backups. I'll leave it the experts to decide the best way for you to recover. Cheer up. It looks to me like a minor problem.<$1alt="" title="" onresizestart="return false;" id="smiley__$2" style="padding: 0 3px 0 3px;" />

TootsieRoll

While I appreciate learning this about test forums...the damage is already done.

Now I would like some advice on how I can get the avatars to show again.
There doesn't seem to be a simple solution...I still have the original files from the live site
but I am wondering if there is any way they could have been affected by an upload to the test site.

The settings are correct in both the settings.php and settings.bak
I just want it to appear the way it did before I started trying to help my friend tootsie.
she will freak out if it continues this way much longer.  Please someone somewhere has to have a SOLUTION.

P.S.  I see that some of the avatars are there on some posts and on others they are not showing at all.
I think the custom avatars are not showing even though the database show that they are there.

Deprecated

Your avatars are stored in your  $boarddir/attachments/ folder as avatar_{member number}.(jpg|gif|png}

First thing to check is to see if they are there for the affected members. If not, restore them. If they're there it may take further steps.

Note that if they are using remote URLs for their avatars you can restore them by opening their profile and just go through the motions you would do on your own remote avatar. The URL should still be there. (I've recently done just exactly this in reviving my forum that has been in cold storage for 3 years.)

TootsieRoll

I really appreciate the help but there are over 5,000 individual forum members with their own personal avatar.  Tootsie prides herself in giving each of her members their own avatar.  I am looking for a way to restore all of her avatars automatically without having to take the many months that it would take to hand deliver each one.  Why did they just disappear?  shouldn't they be able to appear as easily as they disappeared?  Is there a code I could place pointing at some location that would restore them?  I can't do this individually...it will take waaaay too much time.  Please someone???
I see tons of them in the attachment folder.  Just thought of something else...how would I even know which avatars she dedicated to which member?  This is a disaster.

Advertisement: