News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Maintenance Mode

Started by riverBB, February 07, 2014, 03:34:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

riverBB

Hi....
I do not know what happened, but I do believe it is on my end according to my hosting service.  That sounds correct only I didn't put it in maintenance mode.  I have another admin, but she didn't do it either.  More importantly, I don't know and cannot figure out how to get it out of maintenance mode.  By all accounts that I have read I should still have access to the forum, but I cannot get logged in.  Every time I try to I get the message:

Maintenance Mode

Okay faithful users...we're attempting to restore an older backup of the database...news will be posted once we're back! and that can be found here...  http://www.badgebusters.us/smf/ [nofollow]/index.php

Can you help?

kat

Your Settings.php file...

Find this line:

$maintenance = 1; # Set to 1 to enable Maintenance Mode, 2 to make the forum untouchable. (you'll have to make it 0 again manually!)

and change it to:

$maintenance = 0; # Set to 1 to enable Maintenance Mode, 2 to make the forum untouchable. (you'll have to make it 0 again manually!)

(Changing the "1" to a "0") That's a zero, not a letter "O".

riverBB

Don't I have to be logged into my forum to get to that? 

kat

Download the file, using FTP. Edit it and upload it. :)

Illori

if you can log in http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.0:Server_settings and uncheck maintenance mode. if you can not log in then you need to use FTP to edit that file.

BikerChick

Is there a way to find that settings file through our cpanel?  I'm clueless as to how to do that through FTP.  Sorry for the questions, but thanks for the help!!

kat

BikerChick

Ok!  I found it under there, opened it in wordpad (which it was set to), and it says zero already.  Any ideas?

riverBB

This is what is says....
########## Maintenance ##########
# Note: If $maintenance is set to 2, the forum will be unusable!  Change it to 0 to fix it.
$maintenance = 0;      # Set to 1 to enable Maintenance Mode, 2 to make the forum untouchable. (you'll have to make it 0 again manually!)
$mtitle = 'Maintenance Mode';      # Title for the Maintenance Mode message.
$mmessage = 'Okay faithful users...we\'re attempting to restore an older backup of the database...news will be posted once we\'re back!';      # Description of why the forum is in maintenance mode.

riverBB

I just don't get why we would be in maintenance mode....we didn't put it there....the only thing that is different is the last upgrade, but I do not know why that would affect us in this way.  Completely frustrated.... :'(

kat

Now THAT is weird.

I really can't imagine what's going on, there.

I'm just about to hit the sack, though. I was gonna suggest that you send me your FTP details, so that I could check a few things out. But, I guess you don't know those, if you're using bloody CPanel.

I was suspecting file ownership. But, you wouldn't even get that message, if you didn't have that.

I'm at a loss, with this. Maybe a good night's kip will help me see this more clearly, in the morning.

Illori

can you check if $maintenance  is found more then 1 time in your file?

BikerChick

I searched our settings.php file, and only found $maintenance one time.  It's showing exactly as river posted above...

Shambles

Make sure you don't have another Settings.php file hanging around...

riverBB

There are 2 one in settings.php and the other in settings_bak.php and we checked both....I feel like our forum is gone....our server folks cannot help. I don't know what else I can do to get it back...

Shambles

Quote from: Shambles on February 07, 2014, 05:50:21 PM

Check for a Settings.php at an upper level

http://www.badgebusters.us/

BikerChick

I'm so totally confused.  I've looked through all of the files listed on file manager, and only found settings.php in a couple places, just like river mentioned.  I've checked them, and they all say that it's equal to zero.  So we shouldn't really be in maintenance mode, right?
The link works to the login page, but as soon as you try to log in, it shows you the maintenance mode message.  When we started the forum, I just uploaded the file folder from my computer to our server using filezilla. (I think)  We didn't have to do any kind of file changes and stuff, which was the biggest reason for using this kind of format... user friendly, and easy for those of us who don't know what we're doing.  LOL
Any other ideas or suggestions?  I'm really at a loss...

riverBB

Quote from: Shambles on February 07, 2014, 06:29:41 PM
Quote from: Shambles on February 07, 2014, 05:50:21 PM

Check for a Settings.php at an upper level

http://www.badgebusters.us/ [nofollow]

YAY!!  We finally found the settings that were wrong.  YAY!  Thank you everyone for your help.   ;D

BikerChick

Thank you all so very much for your help!!!  Our server support team found a glitch and fixed it!  We're back!!!

Actually not a glitch... they were able to find the right file with the info to change.  You were all right... we were just lost!  LOL

riverBB

I actually do have a question....we did not change the script on this so does the script has some sort of auto-update feature or anything like that, is it possible that the config file was just not rebuild correctly.  I dunno what else would cause it to change except being hacked....is that also possible?

Advertisement: