News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

What can I Expect?

Started by MaryLouW, February 11, 2014, 03:00:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaryLouW

I am still running SMF 1.9 and am planning to upgrade to 2.x before the end of the month.  My question is, what can I expect to happen?  Will the upgrade replace my current theme and colors, etc?  Will I still have my 30+ mods?  I have heard that it is different  so I want to know what I can expect to see once I do the upgrade.  Is there anything special I need to do before updating?  Can anyone explain some of the differences, please?  I'm really nervous about doing things that I don't know anything about.  :)

Acans

Hi Mary,

You will have to reinstall your theme and all of your mods (if they have been updated and are compatible with SMF 2.0.x).

Quote from: MaryLouW on February 11, 2014, 03:00:04 AM
Is there anything special I need to do before updating?

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Backup

Follow that guide to backup your directory and database, so if something goes wrong you can restore your old copy like nothing happened. I would also suggest, creating a directory under your domain and trying a test upgrade, so you'll be aware if there are any issues with upgrading.

Also, make sure to check out Upgrading SMF.
"The Book of Arantor, 17:3-5
  And I said unto him, thy database query shalt always be sent by the messenger of $smcFunc
  And $smcFunc shall protect you against injections and evil
  And so it came to pass that mysql_query was declared deprecated and even though he says he is not
  dead yet, the time was soon to come to pass when mysql_query shall be gone and no more

MaryLouW

Thanks for the response.  So, you're saying when I upgrade, most or all of my customizations will be gone, right?

I'm not sure how to set up a test directory.  Would I do that from the backup? 

I looked at the backup Online Manual..  that's way over my head so I"m having second thoughts about upgrading.  I cannot expect any help at all from my host as they do not help with anything unless it's something that was installed from their list of stuff.  Been down that route a few times with them.  I may have to re-think this idea and just stay with my old version.

Kindred

None of the mods or themes for 1.1.x will work on 2.0.x.
Additionally, when you do a large upgrade, all mods will be removed.

Backup is not hard... And it is something that you should be doing at least once a week anyway....
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

MaryLouW

So, basically, what you're telling me is I will be starting over with a new version but it will keep my old database?  I can live with that.   I do not go into the control panel as I really don't know what I'm doing there.  I use the download feature in SMF about twice a month to save the database but I'm never sure if I should check the box that says table structure or not.  Don't quite understand that. 

Let me ask this.  If I download the database via SMF and copy all the files to my hard drive, then I do the upgrade to 2.x, and if something goes wrong, how can I recover back to the old version?  I know I can re-upload my files but what about the database?   I wish I knew more about this, it makes one feel so dumb!

a10

Take your time, and plan well.

Quoteif something goes wrong, how can I recover back to the old version?  I know I can re-upload my files but what about the database?
Your host provides the tools for that (phpmyadmin), should be no problem.

Make some good backups. Forum files \ attachments with FTP (if using Filezilla, remember to set transfer type to binary). About the db, for extra safety you may want to do 2 separate backups, 1 from the forum maintenance (incl. table structure) and the other using phpmyadmin export. And there are other db backup tools available, for example http://www.mysqldumper.net/

Did a 1 to 2 upgrade a few days ago. Very challenging to finally decide to let v1 go after using it for 7 years here, was worried of course but all went amazingly well. Some time before made a post (which included a twitter link for info and updates in case of problems) + a news entry informing the members that there will be some changes and maintenance time (one may also send info in an email newsletter).
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

MaryLouW

Thanks for the info...  it's not quite so scary knowing someone else did it successfully.  I've used SMF for about 6 years now and the few minor problems I've had, the good folks here (I call them my heroes) have come to my rescue. 

I have four databases so I suppose I should learn to use the mysqladmin but it seems I remember that I have to uninstall it in order to access a different database or something along those lines.  I will try and follow the backup docs after re-reading a time or two and see if I can muster up the courage to make the plunge.

There is one thing about it, if I totally mess it up and have to start over, well, that's life. I've had to start this forum over 2 other times in the past (not SMF) and both times, we lost all - so picked up our boots and started over. 

a10

QuoteI've had to start this forum over 2 other times in the past (not SMF) and both times, we lost all
That can be easily avoided by taking good, regular backups. Ask your host about how to access phpmyadmin, from there it's 2 simple clicks (example in attachment).
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

kat

Backing-up and restoring's not so bad. Click my sig and you'll see the full "How to". :)

MaryLouW

I will definitely get brave this weekend and check out phpmyadmin.  I need to become a bit braver about doing things.  I have the page with the backup instructions bookmarked so can go directly back there. 

I do use the SMF backup all the time but that's not why I had to start over several times in the past. That was because I used "pre-made" boards that belonged to the host.. I think ezboard was one, and in both cases, they decided to discontinue the boards and we had no control.. no choice but to start over.

Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions.  If I don't understand what I'm doing in phpmyadmin, I'll be back.   :)

kat

As has, probably, been said, backing-up from within the SMF Admin panel isn't recommended.

I actually find CPanel>Files>backups the easiest way, myself.

MaryLouW

But... I dont' have cPanel.  My host has an in-house system which makes it difficult to get help and they are not helpful unless the program is one that was installed from their selection.  If I can't figure it out from all the comments here, as Arnold said, "I'll be back!"   ;D

kat

* K@ slaps MaryLou's host around with a wet halibut.

MaryLouW

I'd rather use a wet noodle if you don't mind.. halibut is a bit drastic!  :)

I have another question.  Among my many installed mods, I have SMF Gallery Light 3.1.4 and Downloads System 2.0.  Will I lose those when upgrading to 2.x?

Lou69

Quote from: MaryLouW on February 14, 2014, 09:59:59 PM
I'd rather use a wet noodle if you don't mind.. halibut is a bit drastic!  :)

I have another question.  Among my many installed mods, I have SMF Gallery Light 3.1.4 and Downloads System 2.0.  Will I lose those when upgrading to 2.x?

Not sure about the gallery but you can ask here ....

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=114291.0

Bigguy

I just wanted to say...when people say you are going to lose your mods they mean they will not be installed anymore. If any of these mods put info in the database, that data will be retained until you re-install the mod. (In most cases) Also. If the mod makes any directories they to may even be retained after the upgrade. This means that when you re-install the updated mod on the new version of SMF all the info should still be there. (In most cases)

Illori

also mods made for 1.1.* will not work code wise in 2.0. you will need updated versions of those mods that work with 2.0.

MaryLouW

Okay, let me ask a few more questions.  Would it be best to just uninstall those mods?  I have about 30 of them so maybe that data should all be removed.  Also, do I need to close the forum before doing this upgrade?  If so, what is the best way to do this?

I am thinking that if anyone is posting or whatever,  especially after I back up everything, that info will most likely be lost. 

Oh, and what about my emots?  Will they be lost?

Bigguy

Put your forum in maintenance mode before doing anything..back it up and uninstall mods. Then do the upgrade. :)

Upgrading SMF

MaryLouW

Thank you!!  That's what I needed to know.  I can actually install my mods now... we can live without them, that way they won't get backed up.  Next, I have to figure out how to do the backup stuff.  I have the link bookmarked so will start checking that out this next week.  I have a friend who just started a new SMF forum and is letting me explore the admin areas so I can get a little familiar with things before I make the leap. 

Appreciate all the advice, it is making me more confident about doing this.

Advertisement: