News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

What can I Expect?

Started by MaryLouW, February 11, 2014, 03:00:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kindred

Good on you Mary Lou.

We enjoy helping people (which is why we're in support) and we truly enjoy helping people learn to do it themselves.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Illori

actually you dont need to uninstall your mods prior to the upgrade as the upgrade will override all the files anyway the mods will no longer exist. [in the files]

MaryLouW

Kindred, I don't mind doing it by myself, that's how one learns.  The problem is remembering HOW I did it so I can do it again!  :)  When you reach my age (76) the memory isn't what it used to be.  I couldn't really understand that 10 years ago but I sure do now!! You forget things right after you learn them!   But, I'm going to give this a good try.

Thanks on the not having to install the mods.  I hope to jump into this maybe this next week.  I almost have my slate clean where I can concentrate on what I'm doing.  Will let you all know the results.  Keep fingers crossed! 

kat

What I did, was delete all of the mods from the Packages directory, using FTP, just to save space.

Good to know that there's someone using the forum that's older'n me, MaryLou! :)

MaryLouW

LOL!!  I'm older than dirt but still kicking!!  Glad that I'm not alone!!

Now, on deleting the packages via ftp, not sure that's the way to go.  Doesn't that still leave the references and such in the database?  I don't mind removing them manually - will give me more time to think about what I'm doing.

If I goof things up, I can blame it on senility which is much better than stupidity... I think! O:)

kat

Yeah, it'll leave some stuff in the database. But, very little and it won't affect the performance, or anything. :)

Uninstalling them wouldn't hurt, either. Whatever tickles your fancy! ;)

I'm too crazy to blame it on senility.

Probably. ;)

Bigguy

You don't have to uninstall mods before upgrade no, it's just my personal preference to do so. (Thought I would throw that in there.)

MaryLouW

Thanks, Big guy - I have over 30 installed and might want to uninstall just to see if I miss it!   :)  I am going to keep a list of what I have now though - some of those mods were very useful.  I like all the little goodies. I hope there are as many available for 2.x.

MaryLouW

Well, I have no idea what I"m doing.   I logged into the control panel at my host and started MyPSPAdmin and that took me to the database.  But, it's the wrong database.  I have a total of four of them So, how do I get to the right one?

I am looking at some old notes I have that say : Must re-create PHPMYSQL each time you want to access the database directly. Must delete it to access another database.

Is this true?  Maybe this is why I am going to the wrong database?  There is an uninstall option on one of the buttons.  What should I do?

Another question, can't I just copy everything, database and all via ftp to a backup hard drive? Would that be sufficient?

Kindred

Deleting like that doesn't make much sense to me...

As for using FTP.. No, most of the time, the database "files" are not accessible via FTP.
You typically need some interface, like a backup utility, phpmyadmin or mysqldump
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

MaryLouW

Okay, I'm at a point where I don't know what to do so I did some screen shots that might help you to be able to help me.

I go to the host site and log in with the user name and password for pirc-forum.com.  I have 4 domains so did not use the master login and password that lets me see all domains.

I then went to MySQL Manager (see image 1 below). I can see all four of my databases. The one I want to back up is the one marked in yellow.  I clicked on it to select it, then entered a login name and password.

That took me to myphpadmin (image 2) but as you can see, it is not the correct database.  I did click the up arrow but there is only that one showing.   My problem is, how to I get to the correct database?

Part 2 - I can see all of my files via FTP, even the database. I think that's what I"m looking at (iage 3) and it's like 287 meg.   I was hoping if I can't figure out how to do the backup via the control panel that it might work to back up via ftp.

MaryLouW

Slight update.  When I used into the CP using my master password, I was able to  get the database to show up (see below) but when I click on MySQL Database Manager, it takes me back to the previous screeen. 

The image below is how far I got but cannot access the mysqlmanager.

Lou69

Mary,

I have not followed this too closely but if you are wanting to download a database to your PC, then use PHPmyadmin, position on the Db in the left column, go to the center screen and at the top you will see Export. Select that and then choose SQL for formant and then Go. This will prompt you for a directory on your PC to store the database at.

Lou69

Also, remember that your MySQL manager is how you create the base database, add a user id/pw, set permissions for that database. When you look at the 4 db with the Manager you are see the 4 'books' that are housing your site information.

The PHPMyAdmin is the tool that is used to manipulate that 'book'. With it you can delete, alter, add, change, download, etc. the specific tables in the 'book'.

So, the reason your two DB files do not match is that the Manager is showing you all 4 and the Admin is showing you the active DB.

Edit: I should add that you really do not need the MySQL Manager, as far as I know for the upgrade that you are doing. Unless you actually want to delete a database or create a database. You would use the PHPMyAdmin to do the backup/download. Now, I have not upgraded from the version that you are so take that with a grain of salt.  :)   But I suspect that once you start the upgrade the installer will do all the work for you. You just need to have the userid/pw and database name at hand before you start.

MaryLouW

The problem is the MyPHPAdmin is showing me the wrong active one.  That is the entire problem.  I want to update to 2.x and need to backup my database first.  MyPSPAdmin points to one of the other databases - the last one that was installed last year.

Lou69

Interesting. Get out of the Manager completely and use only the PHPMyAdmin tool.

Click on the second + sign and that should open up the tables.

If you are not able to do that, then I don't know.

MaryLouW

I have done that.  I went straight to MyPHPAdmin and entered the user name and password and it brings up the wrong database.  I don't know how to get it to bring up the one I want.

I just had a thought - there is an option on the MyPHPAdmin screen to uninstall it.  Maybe I need to do that? and re-install ?

Lou69

Hmmm... I take it you are not using CPanel to access the server? 

Once you log into your server all these tools are normally available and no PW is needed.

MaryLouW

No, I am not using cPanel.  Once I log in, all of the tools are there but when I use some things, it wants a user name and password.  Maybe because I have multiple databases?

Lou69

That is what I am thinking. MySQL is not a strong suite for me. I wonder if multiple DB are linked. Go ahead and take the first one it shows you and do an export.

Advertisement: