What can I Expect?

Started by MaryLouW, February 11, 2014, 03:00:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave J

Hi Mary Lou,

I have read from front to back on this thread and one thing maybe you should try is to do a test site first before attempting to upgrade.

To do this, if you can get to it, create a new folder in your 'public_html' folder and call it 'Newsite' then open that folder and copy all the SMF 2.0.7 required files into that folder.

Now create a new database called 'Newsite', that is if you can still create a new one.

Once you have done that go to h**p//:www.yourcurrentsite.com/Newsite if you have done it correctly the install page for SMF2.0.7 will appear on the screen just follow all the instructions and install.

Once you have done that and deleted the install files, which will happen automatically if you select the option on the final install page, if you go back to h**p//:www.yourcurrentsite.com/Newsite you should now see the newly install SMF2 site. from here you can learn to install mods and tweak stuff around.

I did this myself to learn a few years ago and it really did help me get to grips with the way things work. The best of all is that if something goes wrong you do not delete the live site to start again, then, only when you are fully confident in what you're doing, try the live site change.

Hope that helps. If it's not for you then just ignore this post ;)

regards

Dave
If you want quizzes to add to the new SMF2.1 quiz mod go here . There are also walkthroughs in the forum to explain how to install them and other tips.

Kindred

davejo,

While I applaud the suggestion - creating a test site for the upgrade is going to be even more complicated because of her host's configuration and I do not recommend it in this case.  I suggests that she takes a clean backup and then goes ahead.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: